Table of Contents
- Why travel from Vellore to Chennai?
- Travelling from Vellore to Chennai by Car
- Best time to take a road trip from Vellore to Chennai by car
- How to Reach Chennai By Train
- How to Reach Chennai By Flight
- Places to eat along this route
- Attractions in Chennai for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Chennai
- Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Chennai
Chennai, the capital city of the state of Tamil Nadu is spread across an area of around 1189 square kilometers on the Eastern Coastal Plains. The capital city of Tamil Nadu and one of the largest metro cities of the country, Chennai is a city that balances ancient architecture and modern urban trappings. This city is a beautiful amalgamation of cultural extravaganza.
Why travel from Vellore to Chennai?
The presence of gleaming beaches, eateries, religious spots such as temples and churches, historical attractions, and a lot more makes Chennai worth exploring. When you take a road trip from Vellore to Chennai, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Traveling from Vellore to Chennai by Car
The road from Vellore to Chennai cuts through the small towns and interesting locales between these two prominent cities. Along the way, you will pass through towns like Arcot, Kaveripakkam and Sriperumbudur, depending on the route you take. You can stop by any of these places for a quick tour, photo ops, or to taste the local flavors. With our completely customizable Vellore to Chennai trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Vellore to Chennai by car.
Best Time To Visit
Sitting right on the Bay of Bengal, Chennai experiences a coastal climate. The summers are generally hot and humid, and are therefore best avoided. The winter and monsoon months are the most popular times to travel to Chennai by road. So, you can plan your trip from Vellore to Chennai some time between November and March.
Popular Routes from Vellore to Chennai
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Vellore to Chennai via NH48
This is the shortest and the best route to travel from Vellore to Chennai. Despite tolls on the way, this is the fastest route because the Vellore to Chennai traffic on this route is regular and you can avoid road closures. The distance on this route from Vellore to Chennai is approximately 138 KM and takes about three hours to reach. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on the road conditions from Vellore to Chennai.
Here’s the basic route map from Vellore to Chennai –
|Vellore– Ratnagiri Kilminnal– Arcot– Orcheri– Kanchipuram– Marutham — Sriperumbudur– Chennai|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Palar Anekattu, Chennasamudram – A massive dam on the Palar River, surrounded by expansive fields, good for morning tours or a picnic break.
- Ocheri Dam, Ocheri – A small dam off the main highway, surrounded by greenery, good for a refreshing break, best visited during or after the monsoon. Also check out the torrential Kadapperi water drop nearby.
- Kailasanathar Temple, Kanchipuram – An ancient Hindu temple known for intricate stone carvings on its pyramid shaped tower and numerous shrines, perfect for a historical tour or pilgrimage.
- Ekambaranathar Temple, Kilambi – A 12th century Hindu temple complex dedicated to Shiva, distinguished by tiered towers and a colorful pillared hall, is good for a day tour.
- Rajiv Gandhi Memorial, Sriperumbudur – A memorial park dedicated to Rajiv Gandhi, featuring landscaped gardens, lotus ponds, and carved stone walls.
Places to eat along this route
- Savoury Sea Shell Restaurant By Naafa, Arcot – Family restaurant chain serving Indian and Arabic cuisines, good for families and big groups.
- Darling Namma Veedu Non-Veg, Wajalapet – Standard highway side eatery serving vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes, good for groups and families.
- Murugan Idli Shop, Kaveripakkam – Chain restaurant serving specialty idlis and other traditional local dishes in a casual setting, good for quick stops, breakfasts.
- Spice Street – Multi Cuisine Restaurant, Kanchipuram – Upscale family restaurant serving local dishes and thalis among multi-cuisine food, good for groups, late nights.
- Fatair, Sriperumbudur – Standard highway side diner serving quick meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner menu, good for big groups, kid-friendly.
Vellore to Chennai Road Condition via Route 1:
The road conditions from Vellore to Chennai on route 1 are excellent. It is the fastest route with light traffic, despite some tolls on the way, but there are no road closures.
Route 2: Distance and Time Taken From Vellore to Chennai via Vellore-Chennai Road
This is an alternative route for traveling from Vellore to Chennai. This route is a little longer and takes a little more time to travel than the previous route. This route also has tolls on the way. The distance from Vellore to Chennai on this route is about 140 KM and takes about an hour. Always use live maps to check for road closures or check for other traffic updates while traveling on highways.
Here’s the basic route map from Vellore to Chennai along this route:
|Vellore– Thenkadapanthangal — Kaveripakkam — Perumbulipakkam — Thimmasamudram — Attuputhur — Sriperumbudur– Chennai|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Cup and Saucer Waterfalls, Sathuvachari – Water flows onto rocks reminiscent of teacups & saucers at a quiet cascade on a trekking route.
- Arignar Anna Zoological Park, Vandalur – Vast zoo with large, natural enclosures for Asian mammals & battery-operated cars for touring.
- Snow Kingdom, Injambakkam – Indoor attraction featuring man made snow, sledding, a mountain for climbing & upbeat music.
- The Armenian Church, George Town – Founded in 1712, this church with six large bells is the site of around 350 Armenian graves.
Places to eat along this route
- Hotel Alankar, Thottapalayam– Family restaurant chain serving Indian and Arabic cuisines, good for families and big groups.
- The Vellore Kitchen, Service Rd, Vellore– Small casual café serving quick meals, snacks, and café menu, good for breakfast and tea.
- Earth Plate, Sripuram– Good quality restaurant serving vegetarian and non-vegetarian multi cuisine meals, good for groups, late nights.
- GRT Regency Gingee Restaurant, new bypass road – A casual restaurant serving Indian-Chinese fusion food in an artful setting, good for lunch and dinner.
Vellore to Chennai Road Conditions via Route 2:
The road conditions on this route from Vellore to Chennai is also quite good. But it is a slightly longer route than the previous one and can have some road closures, since it passes through some remote areas in the state.
Vellore to Chennai Best Route
Both the above routes are good for traveling from Vellore to Chennai. However, Route 1 seems to have more sightseeing options on the way with a lot of food options than Route 2. So, if you want to get there faster and are looking for a good meal on your drive, then Route 1 is your best choice.
Other means of traveling from Vellore to Chennai
You can also travel from Vellore to Chennai by train. There are a total of 88 trains between these two cities in Tamil Nadu. The fastest train from Vellore to Chennai is MSB VLR MEMU FAST (66017) and it takes three hours and 40 minutes to reach Chennai. For all train bookings from Vellore to Chennai, visit any online travel portal or Indian Railways’ website for latest information.
There is currently no flight service between Vellore to Chennai, since the Vellore Airport is under construction. Hence, the best way to travel from Vellore to Chennai is to take a cab or a train.
Attractions in Chennai for Sightseeing
Chennai and its vicinity is blessed with endless natural and man-made wonders, making this the perfect starting point for uncountable road trips and places to visit nearby. From historical ancient towns to exotic beaches, there are endless possibilities for long vacations or quick weekend getaways from Chennai, every few hundred miles. Check out the best road trips you can embark on for a quick weekend getaway from Chennai.
Chennai is a large bustling city with beaches, temples, and many other attractions.
- Marina Beach – the most popular and busiest beach in the city with recreational options.
- Kapaleeshwarar Temple – a 7th-century Shiva temple, known for its ornate Dravidian architecture.
- Government Museum – a state-run museum preserving historical artifacts and archeological findings dating back to Bronze Age and more.
- Edward Elliot’s Beach – the quieter urban beach of the city and a popular local and tourist haunt.
- Santhome Cathedral – the most famous cathedral of the city, known for its 19th-century Gothic architecture.
- Dakshina Chitra – a heritage museum with cultural exhibits and an arts center.
- Valluvar Kottam – a heritage site and cultural venue dedicated to the historical poet Valluvar.
- Semmozhi Poonga – an expansive botanical garden with more than 500 varieties of exotic plants and flowers.
Savaari Recommends – Popular Places to Eat in Chennai
Chennai is a town that’s known for its rich historical and cultural heritage. Like any metro city, Chennai offers a varied palette that can satisfy any traveler’s taste buds.
These are some of the best-rated places to eat in Chennai –
- Murugan Idli Shop, E. 149/1, 6th Avenue, opp. Velankanni Church, GOCHS Colony, Besant Nagar
- Pumpkin Tales, 37, 20, Bheemanna Garden St, Alwarpet
- Amelie’s Cafe and Creamery, 6, Seshadri St, Venus Colony, Alwarpet
- Nair Mess, No.22, Mohammed Abdullah Sahib, 2nd St, Chepauk
- Animal Kingdom Theme Restaurant, 44, 1st Main Rd, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar
Hotels and Resorts in Chennai
|Place Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Ilara Hotels & Spa||1A, 1B, 1/13, Old Mahabalipuram Rd, OMR, Navalur, Tamil Nadu||098846 88882|
|Green Meadows Resort||4, 364 A, Anna Salai Rd, Palavakkam Kuppam, Palavakkam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu||099449 90950|
|Mango Nest Nature Resort||No:1, River View Enclave, Teesta Street, 3 Road, Manapakkam Main Road, HL: Families:, Chennai, Tamil Nadu||095823 36006|
|Sarojini Gardens||Nazarathpettai, Tamil Nadu||098844 12558|
|The Green Leaf Resort||5/79, SH 49, near Buhari Hotel, Raja Nagar, Neelankarai, Chennai, Tamil Nadu||044 4852 0060|
Nearby Road Trips from Chennai
|Chennai to Kanchipuram||74 km||2 hours|
|Chennai to Trichy||331 km||6 hours|
|Chennai to Rameshwaram||558 km||10 hours|
|Chennai to Coimbatore||505 km||9 hours|
|Chennai to Pondicherry||165 km||3 hours|
|Chennai to Kodaikanal||528 km||10 hours|
|Chennai to Madurai||462 km||8 hours|
|Chennai to Tirupati||133 km||4 hours|
|Chennai to Hyderabad||627 km||12 hours|
|Chennai to Bangalore||347 km||7 hours|