Table of Contents
- About Tirthan Valley
- Things to do in Tirthan Valley
- How to Plan a trip to Tirthan Valley
- Hotels and Resorts in Tirthan Valley
About Tirthan Valley
The scenic Tirthan Valley is one of the best places to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. With its majestic hills and beautiful lakes, there are a lot of things about Tirthan that make it a great place for travel and adventure. So, take a trip to this wonderful land and immerse yourself in the refreshing lap of nature.
With a height of 1600 meters above sea level, Tirthan Valley gets its name from the River Tirthan that flows through it. Located in the Kullu district of Himachal Pradesh, Tirthan is home to icy glacial springs and pristine mountains, and there are a lot of great places to see in the Tirthan Valley.
Tirthan is part of the Great Himalayan National Park (GHNP), which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Because of this, the area is still mostly undisturbed with a handful of traditional villages being the only settlements in Tirthan Valley.
Things to Do in Tirthan Valley
Tirthan Valley is the ideal place for all your mountain adventures. Whether you’re interested in rafting, trekking, fishing or rock climbing, there are plenty of things to do in Tirthan Valley.
- Take a Tirthan Valley trek, following the course of the river and weaving through the small villages and nature hotspots of the region.
- River crossing on the Tirthan river is another favorite adventure sport of the region. Using a safety harness, you can slide across the turbulent waters of the river for an adrenaline-pumping ride through the icy spray of river Tirthan.
- The river Tirthan is also a great spot for trout fishing. With a large bounty of brown and rainbow trout, Tirthan has become a popular place for anglers over the years and it can make for a pleasant break from the other activities of the region.
- Rock climbing is another popular adventure sport of Tirthan. There are a number of operators and instructors who teach and guide travelers who wish to partake of this sport in the region.
- Camp out under the stars at one of the many beautiful spots in Tirthan Valley. Jalori Pass is the most popular spot for camping but there are other camping grounds in the area that also boast of brilliant views and peaceful environs. They say camping in the mountains is unlike anything else in the world so why not experience it for yourself?
Places to Visit in Tirthan Valley
With sparkling lakes, beautiful rolling hills, and quaint traditional villages, Tirthan sightseeing is an amazing experience. Here are the most popular places to see in Tirthan Valley –
- Serloskar Lake – Tirthan’s Serloskar Lake is one of the biggest attractions of the region. This picturesque water body is also the location of the temple of Goddess Budhi Nagin, whose sons are believed to be guardians of the valley. Steeped in local tradition and with scenic views to boot, Serloskar Lake is a required stop for every traveler to Tirthan.
- Jalori Pass – This mountain pass overlooking the Dhauladhar stretch is a favorite spot for camping and trekking in Tirthan Valley. With breathtaking vistas of the surrounding landscape, Jalori Pass is one of the most beautiful and popular spots of the region.
- Jibhi – This quiet offbeat hamlet is a great place for relaxation away from the urban noise. Jibhi is a favorite place for people taking the Tirthan Valley trek and it is one of the places in the region that are still completely untouched by industrialization and tourism.
- Great Himalayan National Park – This famous national park is home to a variety of flora and fauna. One of the best-preserved regions of Himalayan biodiversity, the Great Himalayan National Park is home to snow leopards, Asiatic black bear, Himalayan blue sheep, musk deer and more, as well as oak, deodar, and pine trees that have stood here for generations.
- Chhoie Waterfall – A short trek away from the village of Nagini, this beautiful waterfall is also a sacred site for locals. Named after the deity Chhoi Mata, the waterfall has traditionally been a place to worship the goddess.
- Chaini Kothi – Visitors to this tower-like structure are not allowed to climb the ruins but it is a great center of history that one must visit if you are traveling to the region. Located in the Chaini village, Chaini Kothi was once part of the 17th century Chaini Fort, built to protect the village.
[Also Read: 30 Places to Visit Before You Turn 30]
Popular Nearby Places Around Tirthan Valley
To make the most of your Tirthan trip, you can drive outside the region where there are a lot of places to visit near Tirthan Valley.
- Kullu, 57 km – Famous for its temples and hills, Kullu is an open valley of the river Beas that is a popular destination for travelers and tourists.
- Mandi, 65 km – A major town of the region, Mandi is steeped in history and has some beautiful geography, situated on the banks of the river Beas.
- Kasol, 77 km – Kasol is popularly called the Amsterdam of India and it is a favorite place for trekking. You can trek from Kasol to popular destinations like Malana and Kheerganga.
- Manali, 97 km – This famous hill station is a popular tourist destination. The beautiful hills of Manali are a great place for adventure sports and to enjoy the natural beauty.
- Shimla, 175 km – Once the summer capital of British India, Shimla is now the capital of Himachal Pradesh and a major city of the region, popular with history buffs and as a holiday destination.
Places to Eat in Tirthan Valley
Here are some of the best places to eat in Tirthan –
- Reverberate Café, Jibhi, Banjar – One of the most popular cafes of the region with great food and ambiance.
- Kaith Mud Tirthan Valley, Sharchi Rd, Sharchi – A picturesque cafe serving drinks and snacks with a family-friendly environment.
- Great Himalayan Cafe, Sunshine Himalayan cottage, Gushaini – family-friendly restaurant that is a great spot to try local cuisine.
- The Shiva Valley Restaurant and Café Jibhi, Main Market Jibhi, Jibhi – Popular local restaurant serving with meals and snacks.
- The Himalayan Trout House kitchen, Gahidhar Post Banjar, Nagini – This local restaurant is popular for its fish and provides meals with peaceful environment.
How to Plan a Trip to Tirthan Valley
How to Reach Tirthan Valley
The nearest railhead is Kiratpur, located about 123 km away. The station is connected to major Indian cities like Delhi, Jaipur, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, etc. From there, you will need to rent a car in Kiratpur to reach Tirthan Valley.
There are two options for road travel to Tirthan.
You can take a bus– There are bus services to the region from Delhi and Chandigarh. Many state and private buses operate between these routes. The buses will drop you off at Aut (which is about 30 km from Tirthan) and you will need to get a taxi to cover the rest of the journey.
You can take a car – You can reach Tirthan Valley from the following cities with ease:
- Cab from Chandigarh to Tirthan: 220-250 km (depending on the route)
- Cab from Delhi to Tirthan: 520-560 km (depending on the route)
For a faster, better, and enjoyable travel experience, we recommend a road trip from Delhi or Chandigarh to Tirthan Valley by car.
There are a no direct flights to Tirthan Valley. The closest airport to the region is the Kullu–Manali Airport in Bhuntar. There are flights to Bhuntar from Kolkata, Mumbai, and Delhi. From there, you can hire a Bhuntar Airport Taxi to reach Tirthan.
Best Time to Visit Tirthan Valley
The Tirthan weather is cool and pleasant in summers and very cold in winters. The monsoon brings moderate to heavy rainfall. It is in the spring to summer period that Tirthan temperature becomes ideal for adventures and for experiencing the flora and fauna of the region. That’s why March to June is the best season to visit Tirthan Valley.
Hotels and Resorts in Tirthan Valley
To make your vacation truly comfortable and memorable, you need to find the best place to stay, so here are some of the best places to stay in Tirthan Valley:
- For A While
- Trishla Resort
- JJ Resort
- Nature’s Lap Resort
- Sharda Resort
- Green Alpine
- Whitestone Cottages
- The Tirthan View Homestay
- Devat Farm Cottages
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.