With rolling hills and misty slopes, Kotagiri gives you the feel of a mini-Europe right here in your homeland. This little hill station greets you with lush greenery and the best views. With an annual vegetable show and lanes lined with shrubs and misty trees, it’s like a charming little town right out of a fairy tale.
Table of Contents
- Things to do
- How to Plan a trip to Kotagiri
- Hotels and Resorts
Things To Do in Kotagiri
When in Kotagiri, you can never run out of things to do or places to see.
- Bask in the glory of nature.
- Take a walk amidst the greenery.
- Explore shops that showcase the artisanship of tribal craftsmen.
- Taste the Nilgiri Tea (One of the best in the world).
- Indulge in some homemade chocolate from local stores.
Places To Visit in Kotagiri
- Kodanad View Point: A beautiful viewpoint where the majestic mountains and the magical mist meet.
- Catherine Falls: A high waterfall that can be accessed after a short but interesting hike amongst green shrubbery and delightful trails.
- John Sullivan Memorial: An ode to the collector, John Sullivan, this museum curates his best memories.
- Elk Falls: A trekkers dream, elk falls is a hidden gem enveloped by nature.
- Longwood Shola: A breathtaking view of dense and evergreen forests covering a spectrum of Kotagiris wilderness.
Nearby Places to Visit in Kotagiri
- Doddabetta: The highest peak in the South, Doddabetta is the best place for sightseeing and basking in the glory of nature.
- Emerald Lake: Straight out of a storybook, this lake features crystal clear water with the right hints of greenery.
- Dolphins Nose & Lambs Rock: Viewpoints on the edge of twin hill overlooking an endless urban landscape.
- The Toy Train: Featured in the likes of cult songs like Chaiya Chaiya, this toy train offers a joyous ride between Ooty & Coonoor.
- Botanical Garden: A garden rich in history and home to some of the oldest and rarest species of plants and trees.
- Chocolate Museum: If you are a lover of exotic chocolates and somehow can’t get enough of them, the Chocolate Museum at Ooty is a great place to be.
Places To Eat
- Tandoor Hut – A small eatery with the best rolls and momos in town
- Green Nest Garden Restaurant – A scenic sit-out with sumptuous delicacies
- Cafe Diem – A rustic cafe with the best Pizzas in town
- Orange Pekoe – Dine with a view of the mountains
How To Plan A Trip To Kotagiri
Congratulations on choosing one of the most beautiful hill stations for your next trip. You can choose to reach by rail, road, or air.
How To Reach Kotagiri
By Train –
The nearest railway station is Coonoor. You can reach Coimbatore and then connect to Mettupalayam and then Coonoor or you can easily rent a car or local cab to reach Kotagiri faster.
By Road –
Kotagiri is easily accessible by road. Start from your city and reach Coonoor, either through the Ghats or through Coimbatore. From Coonoor, Kotagiri is at a meager distance of 20 km.
By Flight –
The nearest airport is Coimbatore International Airport (CJB). From Coimbatore, you can rent a car or local cab to reach the picturesque town of Kotagiri.
Best Time To Visit Kotagiri
Kotagiri is the perfect summer escape. The hilly slopes in the summer are ideal for a picnic and some leisurely time with the family.
Nestled in the picturesque hills of The Nilgiris, lies the quaint town of Kotagiri. The misty little town is a hidden gem, not as commercialized despite being the third largest hill station in the district.
It is a melting pot of beautiful scenery and things to do, making for a unique travel experience and a cosy retreat in the lap of nature.
Kotagiri is located in Tamil Nadu, at a convenient distance of 33 KM from the well-known hill station, Ooty, and 68 KM from Coimbatore, the nearest metro with access to rail and air travel. The road conditions on the highways circling the city are great making the city accessible to different tourist destinations by road. Hailing a cab and going for a weekend trip is easy and the best way to explore the wonderful places in and around this hill station.
Kotagiri exhibits pleasant weather all year long, with the summers averaging a temperature between 18°C and 30°C and the winters showcasing a temperature around 12°C, with a drop as low as 0°C. The weather is almost always dreamy with clouds, mild sunshine, and a gentle breeze that soothes the soul.
The quaint little town of Kotagiri is rich in history dating back to the early 1800s when two English officers from the Madras government took a trip within the mountains and found a beautiful place with excellent climatic conditions. It had the potential to be a summer escape. Not too long ago, Ooty was discovered by John Sullivan, the collector of Coimbatore.
On witnessing the pleasant climate and the heavenly view that Kotagiri held, Sullivan built himself a home in the mountains. He went on to encourage the locals to cultivate vegetables and also empowered the economic development of the town.
Kotagiri is rich in culture and home to some of the oldest tribes in India – the Todas, Badugas, Irulas, Kotas, and Kurumbas.
Kotagiri enjoys a hilly landscape at 5,882 ft above sea level. The hilly slopes are similar to the dreamy slopes of England, covered with a blanket of clouds. Green carpets of tea plantations run as far as the eyes can see, and the panoramic views of nature are almost unending.
- Kotagiri translates to “Mountain of the Kotas”, a popular tribe.
- It has a climate identical to that of Europe.
- During the winter, temperatures can drop as low as 0°C
- It hosts an annual Vegetable show in the summer
Hotels & Resorts
Kotagiri has some of the most beautiful cottages, resorts, home stays, and resorts. Some of the best places to stay here are:
|The Nahar Retreat & Spa||Kotahall Road, near Mount Don Bosco, Kotagiri, Tamil Nadu 643217|
|Finch||Honohatty road, Ellada, Kotagiri, Tamil Nadu 643217|
|Hanging Huts Resort||5/32, Thabbacombai Village, Kotagiri District, Tamil Nadu, India, 643217 Kotagiri, India|
|IVC Villa||SF no. 603/2. 3Milidane road, milidane Kotagiri|
|Pear Inn Villa||Pear Garden- 3/119 A9, Thanthanadu, village, Kotagiri, Tamil Nadu 643217|
Tamil Nadu is filled with breathtaking hills and you can access all these places like Kotagiri from Chennai very easily. Access Savaari’s curated list of such places near Chennai.