Table of Contents
- About Tadoba Tiger Reserve
- Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve
- Tadoba Andhari Facts
- Flora in Tadoba National Park
- Fauna in Tadoba Tiger Reserve
- Things to do near Tadoba
- Best time to visit Tadoba
- Travel tips for visiting Tadoba Wildlife Sanctuary
- Tadoba National Park Timings and Entry Fee
- Things to Do around Tadoba National Park
- How to Reach Tadoba
- Resorts & Hotels to stay in Tadoba
About Tadoba Tiger Reserve
The Tadoba Tiger Reserve is located in the Chandrapur district in Maharashtra. The Reserve includes the Tadoba National Park and Andhari Wildlife Sanctuary. It is spread across an area of around 1727 square km of which nearly 625 square km is the core or critical tiger habitat and around 1101 km is the buffer area. If you look at the biogeographical location, the Reserve falls in the Central Plateau of the Deccan Peninsula.
Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve
The Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve is the oldest and largest national park in the state of Maharashtra. According to a 2020 report, it is estimated that there are around 115 tigers and 151 leopards in the core and buffer areas of the Reserve.
Tadoba Andhari Facts
Here are some important facts about the Tadoba Andhari National Park:
- The Tadoba Tiger is the Royal Bengal Tiger – one of the most majestic and fascinating creatures known.
- The Tadoba forest has the highest Tiger Sighting Index or TSI score. This means that you have the best chance of coming across a full-grown male Royal Bengal Tiger in this forest.
- While Tadoba is famous for the Royal Bengal Tiger, it houses many other mammals too. Some commonly found Tadoba mammals are the Indian Leopard, Chital, etc.
Flora in Tadoba National Park
The Tadoba National Park is predominantly a Southern Tropical Dry Deciduous forest. Nearly 87 percent of the protected area has dense woodlands. Some commonly found trees in Tadoba are Teak, Bamboo, Crocodile Bark or Ain, Shisham, Bija, Semal, Dhaudab, etc. There are numerous varieties of plants and medicinal creepers too.
Fauna in Tadoba Tiger Reserve
As mentioned above, the Tadoba Tiger Reserve houses around 115 tigers and 151 Indian Leopards. Since the Tadoba jungle has a marshland, there is a wide range of reptiles (around 54 species) like the endangered Indian python and marsh crocodiles. Further, the park houses over 280 species of birds, 84 species of fishes, and 74 species of butterflies.
About safari in Tadoba National Park
The Tadoba Jungle Safari is popular since the region has the highest Tiger Spotting Index score. The Reserve offers a jeep safari to allow visitors to get a closer look at nature in all its glory. Here are some details that you need to know about a safari in the Tadoba sanctuary:
Tadoba Safari Packages & Timings
The jeep safari in Tadoba is available in four packages across morning and afternoon shifts. The package details are as follows:
- From October 1 to November 30, timings are from 6-10 am and 2.30-6.30 pm.
- From December 1 to February 28/29, timings are from 6.30-11 am and 2-6 pm.
- From March 1 to April 30, timings are from 5.30-10 am and 3-6.30 pm.
- From May 1 to June 30, timings are from 5-9 am and 3.30-7 pm.
Tadoba Safari Booking
If you are looking for Tadoba National Park safari booking, you can visit the DFO office near the Reserve. You can also opt for the spot Tadoba booking counter at the Navegaon Gate. There are various travel sites that offer Tadoba Safari booking online too.
Tadoba Safari Zones
There are three zones in the Tadoba National Park:
- Moharli Zone – popular for spotting tigers and good facilities for tourists
- Tadoba Zone – for picturesque wildlife locations
- Kolsa Zone – for a mesmerizing view of the flora of the Reserve
Things to do near Tadoba
- Take the jeep safari at the Tadoba national park and catch a glimpse of the Royal Bengal Tiger, leopards, wild dogs, and various other animals.
- Visit Irai Lake and take a boat ride. Spot some exotic birds and/or click amazing photographs.
- Go bird watching especially during the migratory months, that is November to February.
- The park authorities offer night safaris to allow travelers to experience the serenity and ferociousness of the wild after sunset. Check with the booking office and experience the jungle at night.
- Visit the butterfly garden in Tadoba.
- Visit the Ramdegi Temple in the Chimur Taluk.
[Also read: Places to visit near Mumbai by road]
Best time to visit Tadoba
The jungle has different shades during different seasons. Summers can be a good time to spot tigers as they tend to come out to the water bodies in the Reserve. During the monsoon months, the insect life comes alive and can be a good time to explore a different side of the jungle. Winters are usually the best time to visit the national park since the forest is lush with flowers and the weather is comfortable too.
Travel tips for visiting Tadoba Tiger Reserve
- Hire a good guide and tiger tracker. When you are booking the safari, ensure that you check the reviews of the guide carefully. This can increase your chances of spotting a tiger and exploring the forest thoroughly.
- If you are planning to carry an expensive camera, then make sure that you carry an airtight bag for your camera and associated equipment. The trails are dusty and without a bag, your equipment can get damaged.
- Dress according to the season of your visit. While summers are usually hot, mornings can be cool regardless of the season. Carry a jacket or a blanket to keep warm.
Tadoba National Park Timings and Entry Fee
The Tadoba National Park is closed from July to September due to the monsoon. For the rest of the year, the park is open all through the week from 6-11 am and 2-6 pm. The entry fee to the Tadoba National Park is:
- Entry Fee: Rs.20 per person
- Still Camera Charge: Rs.2
- Charge for a camera with 250mm lenses: Rs.200
Things to Do around Tadoba National Park
- Go for a Tiger Safari
- Visit the Tadoba Lake
- Unwind and relax at the Anandwan Lake
- Visit the ancient Bhadranag Mandir in Bhadravati
How to Reach Tadoba
The Tadoba national park is located in the Chandrapur district of Maharashtra. It is connected to all important cities via a network of highways and well-maintained roads. You can book a taxi in Maharashtra to reach Tadoba with ease. Here are some ways to travel to the Tadoba national park:
Chandrapur railway station is the closest railway station to Tadoba national park. The train station is at a distance of around 36 km from the national park. You can book a cab from Chandrapur to Tadoba and get there within an hour.
The nearest airport to Tadoba national park is in Nagpur. The Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Airport is an international airport in Nagpur with flights from most major cities in India and around the world. It is at a distance of around 137 km from the Reserve. You can book a Nagpur to Tadoba cab and reach within 3-4 hours.
You can reach the national park from most major cities in India with ease. Here is the distance and travel time from some nearby cities:
- Nagpur – 137 km and a travel time of 3-4 hours
- Jabalpur – 416 km and a travel time of around 8 hours
- Bhopal – 495 km and a travel time of 10-11 hours
- Hyderabad – 450 km and a travel time of 8-9 hours
- Pune – 736 km and a travel time of 15-16 hours
- Mumbai – 870 km and a travel time of around 18 hours
Places to visit in Tadoba
Apart from visiting the Tadoba national park, here are some places to visit near Tadoba:
The Erai or Irai Dam is located on the Irai River near the Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve. It offers some beautiful sights and is frequented by travelers.
How to Reach
The Erai Dam is located at a distance of around 37 km from Tadoba national park. You can hire a cab and reach there within an hour.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Erai Dam is during the winter months of October to March.
Kanha National Park
One of the largest national parks in Madhya Pradesh, the Kanha National Park houses a wide range of fauna and exotic flora making it a huge attraction among nature lovers.
How to Reach
The distance between Tadoba and Kanha national park is around 410 km. You can hire a Tadoba to Kanha taxi and reach there within 8-9 hours. You can also take a train from Chandrapur to Jabalpur or Gondia and a taxi from the railway station to reach the national park.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit Kanha national park is during the winter months of October to March. This is because summers are unbearable in the region and the forest rejuvenates during the monsoon.
Resorts & Hotels to stay in Tadoba
Here is a quick look at some places to stay in Tadoba:
- Jharana Jungle Lodge, Tadoba – near Navegaon Gate
- Camp Serai Tiger – Charak Sadan, Moharli
- Tigers’ Heaven Resort – near Navegaon Gate
- Tadoba Trails Resort – Mohruli Gate, Village Bhamdeli
- Tadoba Tiger Valley Resort – near Moharli Gate
- MB Eagle Mountain Home Stay – Tadoba Road
- Tadoba Bamboo Forest Safari Lodge – near Kolara Gate