Table of Contents
- Why travel from Srinagar to Gulmarg?
- Travelling from Srinagar to Gulmarg by car
- Best Time To Visit
- Popular Routes from Srinagar to Gulmarg
- Srinagar to Gulmarg Best Route
- How to Reach Gulmarg By Train
- How to Reach Gulmarg By Flight
- Attractions in Gulmarg for Sightseeing
- Savaari Recommends – Popular Places to Eat in Gulmarg
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Gulmarg
Why travel from Srinagar to Gulmarg?
Literally translated as “meadow of flowers”, Gulmarg is a gorgeous mountain resort of Jammu and Kashmir and Asia’s 7th best ski destination. The cup-shaped valley, at the foothills of the Himalayas turns into a colorful canvas every spring. The lofty mountains, snow-capped peaks, deep ravines, and forested valleys, makes Gulmarg the ultimate nature retreat for every urban traveler who seeks respite.
Similarly, for those who seek adventure, the snowy slopes of the resort town are perfect for skiing, tobogganing, snowboarding and heli-skiing in winters. If you are already traveling around Jammu and Kashmir, particularly in Srinagar, then Gulmarg is a hop-skip-jump from the summer capital city. You can easily do a short road trip from Srinagar to Gulmarg and experience the beauty of the mountains unfold from one Himalayan destination to another.
With Savaari’s customizable cab service from Srinagar to Gulmarg, you can personalize your travel itinerary and turn this simple drive into a memorable trip. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Srinagar by Gulmarg by car.
Traveling from Srinagar to Gulmarg by car
The route from Srinagar to Gulmarg passes through a scenic stretch. Although it’s a short distance, you can experience the change in the vibes, from the slightly urban energy of Srinagar to the completely nature-soaked, pristine air of the resort town.
Along the way, you’ll pass through some remote villages and towns of the region, like Narbal, Goom, Dhobiwan, and more. With your customized Srinagar to Gulmarg trip package, you can easily make a stop at any of these places, for a short tour, or even a pitstop, or to grab a quick bite and feel the local flavor.
Best Time To Visit
Gulmarg weather is mostly cold all year round but summers are slightly warmer. The winter months see temperatures in minus degrees with heavy snowfall. Hence, this is also the time when Gulmarg opens up for winter sports. The snowfall time in Gulmarg often varies from mid-December to mid-February. If you want to enjoy the snow or have a ski vacation, then you can visit Gulmarg in December or January for the best experience.
On the other hand, spring and summer months see vibrant valleys with flowers and fresh growth. This is when the valleys are in full bloom and you can experience pleasant weather and the spring beauty. You can also travel before winter to experience better Gulmarg temperatures in October. So, you can also visit between April and June.
Popular Routes from Srinagar to Gulmarg
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Srinagar to Gulmarg via Srinagar – Tangmarg Rd
This is the shortest, fastest, and the only major route to travel from Srinagar to Gulmarg. It is also the major route, used by most interstate travelers/tourists. The traffic on this route is also minimal, and there are no road closures like other inner roads. There may be tolls on the way The distance between Srinagar and Gulmarg on this route is somewhere around 50KM and takes almost an hour and a half. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Srinagar to Gulmarg road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Srinagar to Gulmarg-
|Srinagar — Narbal — Magam — Dhobiwan — Khamander Pora — Tangmarg — Gulmarg|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Mirgund Apple Orchard, off Narbal – A local farm with orchards growing apples, peaches, pears, and other seasonal fruits, offers tours and fresh fruit samples, good for a day tour.
- Bhat Shahi, Manglora Kuzner – A highway side viewing point overlooking the snow-capped mountains, best seen in spring with purple blooms on the fields, great for photo ops.
- Public Park, Batpora – A small but beautiful public garden with rose bushes, topiary, and other exotic flower beds, good for a quick break, or play time for kids.
- Chokhar Hill, Chandil Wanigam – Take a detour from Khamander Pora to reach this scenic spot, overlooking mountains, best seen during early snowfall or late winters, good for photo ops.
- Drung Waterfall, Drung – Stop by this small but gorgeous cascade of glacial waters along craggy hills, best seen during winters when the waterfall freezes.
Places to eat along this route:
- Baghdadi Restaurant, off Srinagar city limits – Restaurant with in-house confectionary, serving meals, fast foods, desserts, and more, good for families, groups, kid-friendly.
- Buffet Café and Restaurant, Narbal Domail – Casual diner serving café menu, fast food, beverages, good for quick stops, late nights.
- Falcon Fast Food and Restaurant, Magam – Casual family restaurant serving vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes, quick meals, good for groups, kid-friendly.
- Gulfam Fast Food and Restaurant, Kunzer – Locally popular restaurant serving fast food, meals, and farm fresh fruits, good for groups and families.
- Parsa’s, Tangmarg – National chain restaurant serving authentic Kashmiri food, good for groups, families, and kid-friendly.
Srinagar to Gulmarg Condition via route 1:
This is the shortest and fastest route to travel from Srinagar to Gulmarg and is used by most travelers. This route may have standard highway tolls and the road conditions are good since there are no road closures as of June 2022.
Srinagar to Gulmarg Best Route:
Since this is the only highway route to travel from Srinagar to Gulmarg that is used by most travelers/interstate drivers/commuters, this is also considered to be the best route. While there may be other service roads and inner roads that connect these two destinations, it is better to avoid unknown roads in hilly areas.
Other means of traveling from Srinagar to Gulmarg
There is no railway station in Gulmarg. The nearest station to Gulmarg is in Jammu, about 290 KM away. So, the only way to travel from Srinagar to Gulmarg is by road. However, there are frequent trains to Jammu from other parts of the state and other major towns and cities across India.
For all your Jammu train bookings, you can visit the website of Indian Railways, and check for the most updated train timings and fares.
There is no flight service in Gulmarg. The nearest airport is in Srinagar at Srinagar International Airport (SXR), about 58 KM away. There are plenty of regular flights available to Srinagar from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and other major cities and towns in India. Hence, from Srinagar, the only way to travel to Gulmarg is to book a cab or rent an outstation car and do a quick road trip.
Attractions in Gulmarg for Sightseeing
With abundant natural wonders of the Himalayas and a rich historical legacy, there are a host of places to see in Gulmarg –
- Gulmarg Golf Course – These greens make for the highest 18-hole golf course in the world, and the longest in India. The surrounding meadows are also a great sight during spring with various species of flowers in full bloom.
- St. Mary’s Church – More than 100 years old, this Victorian era church is an architectural wonder, featuring Gothic arches/spires and stained glass works. The church is only accessible by a short trek/hike through the meadows.
- Gulmarg Biosphere Reserve – The natural sanctuary is known for housing exotic and rate Himalayan wildlife species like snow leopard, musk deer etc. The biosphere also has a rich avifauna reserve which you can see during the warmer season.
- Children’s Park – A perfect place of adults and kids alike, this public park is a sprawling stretch of pine and conifers overlooking the lush hills with fun rides and activities for children.
- Seven Springs – An exquisite natural water body, these mountain springs comprise seven outlets of water but the site is more popular for spectacular views of the Gulmarg valley. You can also take a cable car ride to this site for sweeping views of snow-capped peaks.
- Strawberry Valley – A lesser-known Gulmarg attraction, this valley is known for the expansive strawberry fields and farms. Visit during harvest season to see and try your hands at the red luscious fruit plucking.
- Khilanmarg – A small valley outside Gulmarg town, Khilanmarg is an offbeat place for nature lovers. Treks and day hikes or a pony ride are the only ways to reach this place.
- Alpather Lake – a high-altitude lake located between the twin peaks of the Apharwat mountains. The lake freezes completely in winter and is one of the best attractions of Gulmarg.
- Kanchenjunga Museum – A rare and unique kind of museum in India, this conservatory commemorates the Indian Army’s first summit to Kanchenjunga. The museum exhibits mountaineering equipment and modern weaponry used by the army in the mountains.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Gulmarg
The flavors of Gulmarg are steeped in Kashmiri traditions, with a touch of other North Indian fare, as well as some contemporary flavors –
- Bakshi Restaurant, Main Market Gulmarg Near Polices Station
- Gareed Nawaaz Restaurant, Shop Number 8 Gulmarg main market
- Alpine Restaurant, Gulmarg Market
- White Mountain Café, Shop no 05, Sahara market, opposite Hotel Yemberzal
- Eleven Miles The Café and Grill, NH Gulmarg Road Chandilora
Hotels and Resorts in Gulmarg
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|The Khyber Himalayan Resort & Spa||Hotel Khyber Rd, Forest Block, Jammu and Kashmir 193403||01954350666|
|Shaw Inn||Resort Road, next to Gondola, Gulmarg, Jammu and Kashmir 193403||09906990553|
|Pine View Resort||Main Town Gulmarg, Gulmarg, Jammu and Kashmir 193403||09906971119|
|Hotel New Mount View||Gulmarg Kashmir, Mandir Road, near Tourist Assistance center, Gulmarg kashmir, Jammu and Kashmir 193403||09596527556|
|Highlands Park||Church Road, Gulmarg, Jammu and Kashmir 193403||01954 254 491|