Kochi, also known as Cochin, is a city in the Indian state of Kerala. It is the commercial and industrial capital of Kerala and is known for its natural harbour, which has made it an important trading center for centuries. The city is home to a mix of cultures and has a vibrant history, with influences from the Portuguese, Dutch, and British colonial periods. Kochi is known for its beautiful beaches, historic landmarks, and delicious seafood.
- Why travel from Munnar to Kochi?
- Traveling from Munnar to Kochi by car
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- Popular routes from Munnar to Kochi
- How to Reach Kochi By Train
- How to Reach Kochi By Flight
- Popular Places to eat in Kochi
- Attractions in Kochi for Sightseeing
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Kochi
Why travel from Munnar to Kochi?
Kochi is located on the west coast of India and is known for its beautiful beaches and backwaters, which are a network of canals, rivers, and lagoons that run parallel to the Arabian Sea. There are also many national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, making it a great destination for nature lovers. When you take a road trip from Munnar to Kochi, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Travelling from Munnar to Kochi by Car
Undeniably, road trips are one of the most wholesome ways of travelling from one city to the other. The distance between Munnar to Kochi by road is around 127 kilometers taking approximately 3 to 4 hours to cover this distance.
The route from Munnar to Kochi is extremely scenic. Taking a road trip from Munnar to Kochi would not just be convenient, but also a very wholesome way of exploring two very interesting cities in India. With our completely customizable Munnar to Kochi trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Munnar to Kochi by car.
Important Highway Information from Munnar to Kochi
|Highway Name||Munnar to Kochi Highway|
|Alternate Name||National Highway 85|
|Highway Number||NH – 85|
Best time to Visit
Kochi has a tropical climate with high humidity and temperatures ranging from 22°C to 33°C throughout the year. The hottest months are from March to May, while the coolest months are from December to February, which would be ideal for a road trip. The monsoon season, which runs from June to September, can be a good time to visit as well if you don’t mind the rain and want to see the lush greenery of the region.
Distance Related Details about Munnar to Kochi
|Road Distance from Munnar to Kochi||126 kms|
|Aerial Distance from Munnar to Kochi||88 kms|
|Travel Time for Munnar to Kochi by Road||3 hours and 11 minutes|
|Best Route||Munnar to Kochi Via NH765|
|Best time to visit||October to February|
Popular Routes from Munnar to Kochi
Route 1: Distance and Time Taken from Munnar to Kochi via NH85
This is the shortest and the best route to travel between Munnar to Kochi. It is also the fastest and shortest road with less traffic and no road closures. The distance between Munnar to Kochi on this route is somewhere around 130 km and takes about 3 hours and 50 minutes. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Munnar to Kochi road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Munnar to Kochi:
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Attukad Waterfalls, Pallivasal: Multiple waterfalls amid rolling hills, surrounded by hiking trails and panoramic views.
- Valara Waterfalls, Chillithodu: Tall cascade surrounded by dense vegetation, a popular trekking and picnicking destination
- Cheeyappara Waterfalls, Chillithodu: It is a popular trekking spot with cascading waterfall among the hills.
- Neriamangalam Bridge, Neriamangalam : Built over the Periyar River, the fascinating bridge can excite any photographer’s imagination.
- Inchathotty Suspension Bridge, Neriamangalam: It is the longest hanging bridge in Kerala with a length of 183 meters and 4-foot width.
- Martha Mariyam Cathedral Valiyapally, Kothamangalam: Orthodox church said to have been established in the 4th century CE by Syriac Christian immigrants..
- Areekkal Waterfalls, Piravom: Boasting of immaculate surroundings, verdant green woods and a picturesque setting, the silvery cascading water atop rocky cliffs is a visual delight and a popular tourist spot of the city.
- St. Paul’s Orthodox Church, Kolenchery : St. Paul’s Orthodox Church is an ancient and historic church at Kolenchery, built by one Thankan of the Kolenchery House in the 6th century.
Places to eat along this route:
- Canary’s Erivum Puliyum Family Restaurant, Adimali: A tiny family-run restaurant with home-cooked meals serving authentic Kerla-style food.
- Hotel Savitha, Neriamangalam: It recommended a stop on the way that serves delicious food. The Kappa Biriyani is also quite famous.
- Pepper Bridge Restaurant, Kothamanagalam: A good restaurant for lunch and dinner, it is ideal for families with kids as well.
- Idly Shop, Muvattupuzha: It is an excellent vegetarian restaurant with great spice and flavour. It is ideal for families.
- Swad Family Restaurant, Kolenchery: It is run by a local family and serves mouth-watering food. It is ideal for breakfast.
Munnar to Kochi Road Condition via route 1:
This is the fastest route to travel from Munnar to Kochi and is the most commonly used road by most travellers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures.
Route 2: Distance and Time Taken from Munnar to Kochi via NH544
The Munnar to Kochi distance via this route is approximately 727 KM and takes over 7 hours and 20 mins to travel. Before you travel, always check for traffic updates and use live maps to get real-time information on Munnar to Kochi road conditions.
Here’s a basic road map for this route:
Popular places along the way:
- Wonder Valley Adventure and Amusement Park: Only about 13 km from Munnar, one of the best places in Munnar for forest adventure and amusement.
- Kallar Vattiyar: One of Kerala’s popular spice plantation destinations.
- Neriamangalam Bridge: Built over the Periyar River, the fascinating bridge can excite any photographer’s imagination.
- Iringole Bhagavathy Temple, Perumbavoor: Iringole Kavu is a famous Hindu temple dedicated to Goddess Durga.
Places to eat along this route:
- Bismi Coffee House & Fast Food, Anachal: A good restaurant for lunch and dinner, it is ideal for families with kids as well.
- Al Ameen Fast Food, Adimali: Typical highway-side eatery serving fast food, breakfast, as well as small meals. Good for quick grub.
- J J Fast Food, Oonukal: Local eatery specializing in biryani and tandoori dishes, good for groups.
- Thankoos Restaurant & Fast Food, Kundannoor: Standard highway side diner serving both non-vegetarian and vegetarian fare, good for big groups, families, kids.
There are no direct trains from Munnar Kochi and the railroad station closest to Munnar is Angamaly, which is situated at a distance of 120 km. Therefore, if you wish to travel from Munnar to Kochi by train, you can choose to book taxis from Angamaly to reach Munnar. Another alternative to Angamaly station is the Kochi Railway Station. You can book a cab to travel from Munnar to Kochi and reach your destination in under 4 hours.
Travelling from Munnar to Kochi by flight is certainly not an option as there are no direct flights from Munnar to Kochi. None of the airlines in India offer services to commute between these two destinations. Although, you can hire an airport taxi upon your arrival at Kochi Airport.
Attractions in Kochi for Sightseeing
Kochi is a city with a rich cultural and historical heritage, and there are many attractions for sightseeing in the area. Some of the top attractions in Kochi include
- Fort Kochi: A historic neighbourhood with narrow streets and colourful houses, Fort Kochi is a popular spot for sightseeing and photography. Attractions here include the Dutch Palace, the Jewish Synagogue, and St. Francis Church.
- Marine Drive: A popular promenade along the coast of Kochi, Marine Drive offers panoramic views of the Arabian Sea and is a popular spot for evening walks.
- Hill Palace Museum: Located in Tripunithura, a suburb of Kochi, the Hill Palace Museum is a must-visit for history buffs. It is the largest archaeological museum in Kerala and houses a collection of artefacts and antiques from the region.
- Chinese Fishing Nets: These distinctive fishing nets, which were introduced to Kochi by Chinese traders in the 14th century, are a popular attraction in the city. You can watch the fishermen at work or take a boat ride around the harbour to see them up close.
- Kochi Beach: A popular spot for swimming and sunbathing, Kochi Beach is also home to the iconic Vasco da Gama Square, where you can find food stalls, souvenir shops, and a small amusement park.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Kochi
There are many great places to eat in Kochi, offering a wide range of cuisines and dining experiences. Some popular options include
- Mughal Darbar – Ideal for juicy kebabs and rich curries.
- Hotel Saravana Bhavan – Popular for delicious dosas and idlis.
- Padma’s Kitchen – Healthy and tasty Kerala-style dishes.
- Fort House – Continental and local seafood
- Kashi Art Cafe – A popular spot for coffee and light bites.
There are many other great restaurants in Kochi, so you’re sure to find something to suit your taste.
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Kochi
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone No.|
|Le Meridien Kochi||Nettoor, Maradu, Kochi, Kerala 682304||0484 270 5777|
|The Federal Hotel||Paravana Junction, opposite SBI, Panayappilly, Mattancherry, Kochi, Kerala 682002||0484 222 3930|
|The Raviz Ashtamudi||Thevally Bridge, Kollam – Elamballoor Rd, Palace Nagar, Thevally, Mathilil, Kerala 691601||0474 275 1111|
|The Old Lighthouse Bristow Hotel||Dronacharya, Beach Rd, next to INS, Fort Kochi, Kochi, Kerala 682001||0484 221 8611|
|The Pepper House||11/10 A&B, Calvathy Rd, Near Hotel Seagull, Fort Kochi, Kochi, Kerala 682002||0484 221 5667|
Download our Savaari car booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.