A trip from Kochi to Munnar is one of the most frequented routes down south. In addition to producing some of India’s finest tea and spices, Munnar is an enchanting hill station in Kerala. Sitting gracefully at an elevation of 1600 metres; the endless rolling hills, ridiculously gorgeous surroundings, lush greenery and obviously great weather are some of the reasons that make Munnar one of the most popular hill towns in Kerala. Idyllic Munnar requires an equally relaxed and comfortable ride. And with Savaari’s expert chauffeurs, you get to explore Munnar just the right way.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Kochi to Munnar?
- Travelling from Kochi to Munnar by Car
- Best time to take a road trip from Kochi to Munnar by car
- How to Reach Munnar By Train
- How to Reach Munnar By Flight
- Places to eat along this route
- Other means of travelling
- Attractions in Munnar for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Munnar
- Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Munnar
Why travel from Kochi to Munnar?
The breathtaking views of mountains and mountains coupled with romantic weather make the route from Kochi to Munnar a heavenly experience. It is one of the best routes to travel in South India. When you take a road trip from Kochi to Munnar, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Travelling from Kochi to Munnar by Car
Undeniably, road trips are one of the most wholesome ways of travelling from one city to the other. The distance between Kochi and Munnar by road is around 127 kilometers taking approximately 3 to 4 hours to cover this distance.
The route from Kochi to Munnar is extremely scenic. Taking a road trip from Kochi to Munnar would not just be convenient, but also a very wholesome way of exploring two very interesting cities in India. With our completely customizable Kochi to Munnar trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Kochi to Munnar by car.
Best Time to Visit
The best time to take a road trip from Kochi to Munnar would be any time from September to March. The weather is quite perfect for a road trip during this time of the year. Summers (April to June) are usually warm, but one can still travel to Munnar because the weather is pleasant in summers too. However, it would be wise to avoid the monsoon season. Munnar experiences heavy rainfall which would hinder your travel plans completely.
Therefore, if you are planning a trip from Kochi to Munnar anytime soon, then read on! We have discussed in great detail a very interesting Kochi to Munnar route along with popular places along the way for sightseeing as well as pitstops for great local food en route for a wholesome road trip experience.
Popular Routes from Kochi to Munnar
Route 1: Distance and Time Taken from Kochi to Munnar via NH85
This is the shortest and the best route to travel between Kochi and Munnar. It is also the fastest and shortest road with less traffic and no road closures. The distance between Kochi to Munnar on this route is somewhere around 130 km and takes about 3 hours and 50 minutes. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Kochi to Munnar road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Kochi to Munnar:
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Hill Palace Museum, Kochi: Large 19th-century palace complex with an archaeological and heritage museum along with unique parks.
- Inchathotty Suspension Bridge, Neriamangalam: It is the longest hanging bridge in Kerala with a length of 183 meters and 4-foot width.
- Martha Mariyam Cathedral Valiyapally, Kothamangalam: Orthodox church said to have been established in the 4th century CE by Syriac Christian immigrants.
- Cheeyappara Waterfalls, Chillithodu: It is a popular trekking spot with cascading waterfalls among the hills.
- Valara Waterfalls, Chillithodu: Tall cascade surrounded by dense vegetation, a popular trekking and picnicking destination.
- Attukad Waterfalls, Pallivasal: Multiple waterfalls amid rolling hills, surrounded by hiking trails and panoramic views.
Places to eat along this route:
- Swad Family Restaurant, Kolenchery: It is run by a local family and serves mouth-watering food. It is ideal for breakfast.
- Idly Shop, Muvattupuzha: It is an excellent vegetarian restaurant with great spice and flavour. It is ideal for families.
- Pepper Bridge Restaurant, Kothamanagalam: A good restaurant for lunch and dinner, it is ideal for families with kids as well.
- Hotel Savitha, Neriamangalam: It recommended a stop on the way that serves delicious food. The Kappa Biriyani is also quite famous.
- Canary’s Erivum Puliyum Family Restaurant, Adimali: A tiny family-run restaurant with home-cooked meals serving authentic Kerla-style food.
Kochi to Munnar Road Condition via route 1:
This is the fastest route to travel from Kochi to Munnar and is the most commonly used road by most travellers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures.
Route 2: Distance and Time Taken from Kochi to Munnar via NH544
The Kochi to Munnar distance via this route is approximately 727 KM and takes over 7 hours and 20 mins to travel. Before you travel, always check for traffic updates and use live maps to get real-time information on Kochi to Munnar road conditions.
Here’s a basic road map for this route:
Popular places along the way:
- Athirapally Falls – One of the biggest waterfalls Kerala has to offer.
- Vazhachal Falls – Vazhachal falls and Athirapally waterfall is located at a distance of just around 3 km. Located in the middle of the green Sholayar forest, hikers usually like to stop here and admire the chilly and misty waters with rocky terrains as the background.
- Kalady – Kalady is a well-known pilgrim centre because it is Adi Sankaracharya’s birthplace. This place celebrates culture and knowledge equally. When in Kalady, do pay a visit to the two significant places of worship devoted to the memory of Adi Sankaracharya.
- Kodanad/Kaprikad Elephant Camp – A popular tourist destination as well as a picnic spot, the camp is the only elephant rescue & training centre in Kerala that specializes in rescuing as well as training baby and grown elephants.
- Neriamangalam Bridge – Built over the Periyar River, the fascinating bridge can excite any photographer’s imagination.
- Kallar Vattiyar – One of Kerala’s popular spice plantation destinations.
- Wonder Valley Adventure and Amusement Park – Only about 13 km from Munnar, one of the best places in Munnar for forest adventure and amusement.
- Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary – Home to nearly 500 types of fascinating birds, this magnificent bird sanctuary is perched on Njayqapilli and is situated by the side of the Periyar River.
Places to eat along the way
- Indian Coffee House – Stop here for some finger-licking Idli and dosas. Try their filter coffee too.
- Hotel Saravana Bhawan – Try their South Indian Thali.
- Varghese Chettante Kappa Beef – Their Kappa is one of their top hits.
- Lily’s Cafe – Take a tea or coffee break here.
- Royal Food Court – Great option for quick snacks.
Kochi to Munnar Road Conditions Via NH544
The road conditions from Kochi to Munnar on route 2 are average. It is a longer route with some traffic, has tolls on the way, and there might be road closures due to congestion or road work from time to time.
Kochi to Munnar Best Route
Both the above routes are good for travelling from Kochi to Munnar, as each of these routes has interesting sightseeing options along the way. However, the first route seems shorter but also faster, while the second route seems more scenic, with poor road quality. So, if time and a pleasant journey are a priority for you, then route 1 seems to be the better choice for travelling from Kochi to Munnar. However, if you want to stop for activities on the way, route 2 would be an ideal option.
Other means of travelling from Kochi to Munnar
There are no direct trains from Kochi to Munnar and the railroad station closest to Munnar is Angamaly, which is situated at a distance of 120 km. Therefore, if you wish to travel from Kochi to Munnar by train, you can choose to book taxis from Angamaly to reach Munnar. Another alternative to Angamaly station is the Kochi Railway Station. You can book a cab to travel from Kochi to Munnar and reach your destination in under 4 hours.
Travelling from Kochi to Munnar by flight is certainly a redundant option. There are no direct flights from Kochi to Munnar. None of the airlines in India offer services to commute between these two destinations. Although, you can hire an airport taxi upon your arrival at Kochi Airport.
Explore Munnar Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Munnar looks like a fairy hinterland. Perched at an elevation of 1600 m above sea level, Munnar is one of Kerala’s crown jewels known for its endless tea estates, jade hills as well as misty roads. Its captivating beauty has had many people call it the “Kashmir of South India”. Here’s a comprehensive guide to travelling around Munnar and taking home only the best experience.
Attractions in Munnar for Sightseeing
- Located near Anamudi peak and surrounded by tea plantations, spice gardens and rolling hills; Mattupetty Dam and the lake are quite ideal for a quiet picnic with friends and family. It is also a lovely trekking path.
- Take an elephant safari at Carmelagiri Elephant Park.
- Wildlife and birding enthusiasts can head straight to Eravikulam National Park. Other equally popular wildlife areas in Munnar are Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary.
- For adventure enthusiasts, trekking to high altitudes like Echo Point and Top Station is one of the most preferred things to do in Munnar.
- Get mesmerized at Kolukkumalai Tea Estate. Situated at an elevation of 7900 ft, the zigzag roads leading up to the tea estate are achingly beautiful and there is no better place to enjoy the refreshing aroma of the golden beverage.
- If you are someone who loves mountain biking then places such as Suryanelli, Anamudi Shola, Kundala, Marayoor, and Vandanmedu are perfect to enjoy your love for mountain biking.
- Catch a beautiful sunrise and sunset at Kundala Lake.
- Kerala is well known for Ayurvedic therapies including refreshing spas and wellness massages and Munnar is no exception. Do give the various ayurvedic treatments a shot and try to relax your mind and body.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Munnar
- Hotel Sri Nivas Restaurant – For authentic South Indian meal
- Taste the Brews – For continental-style breakfast
- Rapsy Restaurant – Puttu & Kadala Curry
- Post Office Road – Idiyappam with Egg Curry
- Guru’s Restaurant – Spicy chicken fry
- Mayabazar, Munnar – Kerala Prawn Curry
- Rapsy Restaurant – Beef Fry and Malabar Parotta
- Rochas Restaurant – Ari Pathri and Chicken Curry
- Guru’s Restaurant – Kerala-style Fish
- Saravana Bhawan – Appam with Stew
When you take a road trip from Kochi to Munnar, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Munnar
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone No.|
|Tea County Munnar||KTDC Hill Resort, Tea County Rd, Ikka Nagar, Munnar, Kerala 685612||04865 230 460|
|Grand Plaza Munnar||MSA Rd, Moolakadai, Munnar, Kerala 685612||097464 70118|
|Red Sparrow Hotels & Resorts||Moolakadai, Munnar, Kerala 685612||094974 90375|
|Eastend Munnar||Temple Road, Silent Valley, Munnar, Kerala 685612||0484 277 4999|
|T & U Leisure Hotel||Road, near Marthoma Retreat Center, Mattupetty, Munnar, Kerala 685612||04865 233 081|
Download our Savaari car booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.