A trip from Kochi to Munnar is one of the most frequented routes down south. In addition to producing some of India’s finest tea and spices, Munnar is an enchanting hill station in Kerala. Sitting gracefully at an elevation of 1600 metres; the endless rolling hills, ridiculously gorgeous surroundings, lush greenery and obviously great weather are some of the reasons that make Munnar one of the most popular hill towns in Kerala. Idyllic Munnar requires an equally relaxed and comfortable ride. And with Savaari’s expert chauffeurs, you get to explore Munnar just the right way.
Traveling from Kochi to Munnar by Car
Undeniably, road trips are one of the most wholesome ways of traveling from one city to the other. The distance between Kochi and Munnar by road is around 127 kilometers taking approximately 3 to 4 hours to cover this distance.
The route from Kochi to Munnar is extremely scenic. Taking a road trip from Kochi to Munnar would not just be convenient, but also a very wholesome way of exploring two very interesting cities in India. Therefore, book a car with Savaari and cover the distance between and Kochi and Munnar in zero discomforts. When you take a road trip with Savaari Car Rentals, you can halt at your convenience anytime, anywhere and enjoy plenty of short breaks en route. In other words, it would be a safer, flexible, comfortable and completely private ride.
Best time to Take a Road trip from Kochi to Munnar by Car
The best time to take a road trip from Cochin to Munnar would be any time from September to March. The weather is quite perfect for a road trip during this time of the year. Summers (April to June) are usually warm, but one can still travel to Munnar because the weather is pleasant in summers too. However, it would be wise to avoid the monsoon season. Munnar experiences heavy rainfall which would hinder your travel plans completely.
Therefore, if you are planning a trip from Cochin to Munnar anytime soon, then read on! We have discussed in great detail a very interesting Cochin to Munnar route along with popular places along the way for sightseeing as well as pitstops for great local food en route for a wholesome road trip experience.
Route 1: Via NH544
|Kochi — Athirappilly — Vazhachal Waterfalls — Kalady — Kodanad — Thattekad Bird Sanctuary
— Neriamangalam Bridge — Kallar Vattiyar — Wonder Valley Adventure and Amusement Park — Munnar
Vital Statistics – Distance, Time & Highway Quality
Popular places along the way:
- Athirapally Falls – One of the biggest waterfalls Kerala has to offer.
- Vazhachal Falls – Vazhachal falls and Athirapally waterfall is located at a distance of just around 3 km. Located in the middle of the green Sholayar forest, hikers usually like to stop here and admire the chilly and misty waters with a rocky terrain as the background.
- Kalady – Kalady is a well-known pilgrim centre because it is Adi Sankaracharya’s birthplace. This place celebrates culture and knowledge equally. When in Kalady, do pay a visit to the two significant places of worship devoted to the memory of Adi Sankaracharya.
- Kodanad/Kaprikad Elephant Camp – A popular tourist destination as well as a picnic spot, the camp is the only elephant rescue & training centre in Kerala that specializes in rescuing as well as training baby and grown elephants.
- Neriamangalam Bridge – Built over the Periyar River, the fascinating bridge can excite any photographer’s imagination.
- Kallar Vattiyar – One of Kerala’s popular spice plantation destinations.
- Wonder Valley Adventure and Amusement Park – Only about 13 km from Munnar, one of the best places in Munnar for forest adventure and amusement.
- Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary – Home to nearly 500 types of fascinating birds, this magnificent bird sanctuary is perched on Njayqapilli and is situated by the side of the Periyar River.
Places to eat en-route
- Indian Coffee House – Stop here for some finger-licking Idli and dosas. Try their filter coffee too.
- Hotel Saravana Bhawan – Try their South Indian Thali.
- Varghese Chettante Kappa Beef..etc… – Their Kappa is one of their top hits.
- Lily’s Cafe – Take a tea or coffee break here.
- Royal Food Court – Great option for quick snacks.
Other means of traveling from Kochi to Munnar
There are no direct trains from Cochin to Munnar and the railroad station closest to Munnar is Angamaly, which is situated at a distance of 120 km. Therefore, if you wish to travel from Kochi to Munnar by train, you can choose to book taxis from Angamaly to reach Munnar. Another alternative to Angamaly station is the Cochin railway station. A prepaid taxi can help you travel from Cochin to Munnar in under 4 hours.
Traveling from Kochi to Munnar by flight is certainly a redundant option. There are no direct flights from Kochi to Munnar. None of the airlines in India offer services to commute between these two destinations. Thus, a road trip from Kochi to Munnar sounds like an ideal way of traveling between these two cities.
Explore Munnar Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Munnar looks like a fairy hinterland. Perched at an elevation of 1600 m above the sea level, Munnar is one of Kerala’s crown jewels known for its endless tea estates, jade hills as well as the misty roads. Its captivating beauty has had many people call it the “Kashmir of South India”. Here’s a comprehensive guide to traveling around Munnar and taking home only the best experience.
Attractions in Munnar for Sightseeing
- Located near Anamudi peak and surrounded by tea plantations, spice gardens and rolling hills; Mattupetty Dam and the lake are quite ideal for a quiet picnic with friends and family. It is also a lovely trekking path.
- Take an elephant safari at Carmelagiri Elephant Park.
- Wildlife and birding enthusiasts can head straight to Eravikulam National Park. Other equally popular wildlife areas in Munnar are Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary.
- For adventure enthusiasts, trekking till high elevations like Echo Point and Top Station is one of the most preferred things to do in Munnar.
- Get mesmerized at Kolukkumalai Tea Estate. Situated at an elevation of 7900 ft, the zigzag roads leading up to the tea estate are achingly beautiful and there is no better place to enjoy the refreshing aroma of the golden beverage.
- If you are someone who loves mountain biking then places such as Suryanelli, Anamudi Shola, Kundala, Marayoor, and Vandanmedu are perfect to enjoy your love for mountain biking.
- Catch a beautiful sunrise and sunset at Kundala Lake.
- Kerala is well known for Ayurvedic therapies including refreshing spa and wellness massages. Munnar is not an exception. So do try the various ayurvedic treatments to relax your mind and body.
Places to Eat in Munnar
- Hotel Sri Nivas Restaurant – For authentic South Indian meal
- Taste the Brews – For continental style breakfast
- Rapsy Restaurant – Puttu & Kadala Curry
- Post Office Road – Idiyappam with Egg Curry
- Guru’s Restaurant – Spicy chicken fry
- Mayabazar, Munnar – Kerala Prawn Curry
- Rapsy Restaurant – Beef Fry and Malabar Parotta
- Rochas Restaurant – Ari Pathri and Chicken Curry
- Guru’s Restaurant – Kerala style Fish
- Saravana Bhawan – Appam with Stew
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Munnar
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone No.|
|Tea County Munnar||KTDC Hill Resort, Tea County Rd, Ikka Nagar, Munnar, Kerala 685612||04865 230 460|
|Grand Plaza Munnar||MSA Rd, Moolakadai, Munnar, Kerala 685612||097464 70118|
|Red Sparrow Hotels & Resorts||Moolakadai, Munnar, Kerala 685612||094974 90375|
|Eastend Munnar||Temple Road, Silent Valley, Munnar, Kerala 685612||0484 277 4999|
|T & U Leisure Hotel||Road, near Marthoma Retreat Center, Mattupetty, Munnar, Kerala 685612||04865 233 081|