Dehradun in India is often considered an iconic holiday destination. Surrounded by the Garhwal Himalayas, the location offers breathtaking mountain views, abundant greenery, and lots of opportunities for adventures. The quaint hill town is famous for alpine weather, lush environment, dainty cottages, and classic colonial charm.
Table of contents
- Why travel from Kedarnath to Dehradun?
- Travelling from Kedarnath to Dehradun by car
- Best Time To Visit
- Popular Routes from Kedarnath to Dehradun
- How to Reach Dehradun By Train
- How to Reach Dehradun By Flight
- Attractions in Dehradun for Sightseeing
- Savaari Recommends – Popular Places to Eat in Dehradun
- Hotels and Resorts in Dehradun
Why travel from Kedarnath to Dehradun?
Dehradun offers breathtaking mountain views, abundant greenery, and lots of opportunities for adventures, as well as for those who want to just enjoy a generous dose of nature. When you take a road trip from Kedarnath to Dehradun, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Traveling from Kedarnath to Dehradun by car
The route from Kedarnath to Dehradun is dotted with scenic landscapes and ancient temples. The road passes through old pilgrim towns like Gaurikund, Sonprayag, Rudraprayag, and Devprayag. Simultaneously, you can also enjoy the picturesque mountainscape, shifting from the snow-capped glacial region to the Himalayan plains. As you drive along the winding roads and valleys of Uttarakhand, you can make a detour anywhere for a tour, to pay a visit to any temple, or simply stop for photographs. With our completely customizable Kedarnath to Dehradun trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Kedarnath to Dehradun by car.
Best Time To Visit
Situated in the Garhwal Himalayan Region, Dehradun weather can be classified as mountain weather with pleasant summers and cold winters. Depending on your travel goals, you can visit anytime. Dehradun in winters is a different beauty. If you are lucky, you might witness snowfall in Dehradun in late December or January.
Otherwise, for outdoor activities, summers are good to travel when the temperature in Dehradun is very comfortable. The best time to visit is between December and April. Always check the weather forecast for Dehradun before traveling.
Popular Routes from Kedarnath to Dehradun
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Kedarnath to Dehradun via NH107 and NH7
This is the only route to travel from Kedarnath to Dehradun. But this route is not completely accessible by car alone, as you will have to do a 16 KM trek to Gaurikund for vehicle access. So, this route to Kedarnath to Dehradun is a combination of a road trip and a long trek. There are also ponies available on this route for those who cannot walk such a distance.
This is a very short and fast route due to national highways. The Kedarnath to Dehradun distance on this route is somewhere around 245 KM and takes nearly 8 hours. The traffic on this route is also minimal, except when it rains or there is snowfall or any highway accident. So, always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Kedarnath to Dehradun road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Kedarnath to Dehradun-
|Kedarnath > Gaurikund > Guptkashi > Agastyamuni > Rudraprayag > Srinagar > Devprayag > Rishikesh > Doiwala > Dehradun|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Kamla Waterfall, Chopta-Bhiri Road – A small waterfall along the highway, tucked inside pine forests surrounded by wooded areas, good for day treks, photo ops, and picnics.
- Rudraprayag View Point, Rudraprayag – A viewing point on the highway, on the bridge over the Rudraprayag River. Also see the confluence of Mandakini and Rudraprayag rivers from here, good for sunrise, sunset views, and day trips.
- Valley View Point, Srinagar – A viewing point on the highway overlooking the mountains and valleys, best seen during spring when the valley is covered with fresh foliage and wildflowers, good for a day picnic, and photo ops.
- Devprayag Sangam, Devprayag – The confluence of Alaknanda and Bhagirathi Rivers, this is both a nature and religious hotspot, stop for a photo op or refreshing break.
- Laxman Jhula, Rishikesh – A famous suspension bridge with majestic views of the Himalayas and the Ganges, good for panoramic views and photo ops.
- Waterfall Mine, Sakalana – A waterfall sitting within hills, off the main highway, surrounded by big boulders, mountain bluffs, and camping sites, good for camping or day picnics.
- Lachhiwala Nature Park, Lachhiwala Range – Local nature park with landscaped gardens, topiary, ponds, and a variety of floral and decorative plants, with boating options, good for a day trip with family and kids.
- Hidden Lacchiwala Lake, Baskarwala – A small stream and adjoining lake hidden within the Lachhiwala range, good for a short hike or just a refreshing break.
Places to eat along this route:
- BRN Resort, Sersi – A restaurant in a local resort serving meals and snacks, good for families, and big groups, offers great mountain views.
- Apna Dhaba, Rudraprayag – Standard highway side eatery serving meal plates and Dhaba style food, good for big groups, and families.
- Eating Point, Devprayag – Local fast-food joint serving quick meals, small meals, and beverages, good for quick stops.
- Pizza Café, Doiwala – Local café serving pizza, beverages, and other fast food, good for quick stops, kid-friendly.
- Salt and Pepper Café, Jolly Grant – Casual diner serving Indian meals, snacks, and beverages, good for groups, lunch, and dinner.
Kedarnath to Dehradun Road Condition via this route:
This is the shortest, fastest, and the only route to travel from Kedarnath to Dehradun and is used by regular travelers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are great since there are no road closures as of July 2022.
Kedarnath to Dehradun Best Route:
This is the most efficient route to travel from Kedarnath to Dehradun and is rated best by popular live map services. There might be other inner roads or access roads through the villages and towns. However, it is advisable to avoid such roads on hilly areas, especially during snowfall or rain, in case there are possible closures. The above route is also quite scenic and interesting with a lot of food and sightseeing options.
Other means of traveling from Kedarnath to Dehradun
There is no railway station in Kedarnath or anywhere nearby. The nearest railway station to Kedarnath is in Rishikesh, about 216 KM away. So, renting a car/local cab from Gaurikund is the best way to travel to Dehradun.
There is no flight service between Kedarnath and Dehradun. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun (DED) itself. So, the only way to reach Dehradun is to book an outstation cab or rent a car from Gaurikund and do a road trip to Dehradun.
Attractions in Dehradun for Sightseeing
Dehradun is famous for alpine weather, lush environment, gorgeous colonial structures, and an old-world charm. Don’t miss these popular attractions in Dehradun –
- Robber’s Cave – a locally popular picnic spot, this is a natural cave surrounded by mountains, bluffs, and wooded areas.
- Mindrolling Monastery – the largest Buddhist Vihara in India, with the monastery, temple, and learning center.
- Lacchiwala Range – a mountain ridge for trekking, bird-watching or view the sunset
- Har Ki Dun Valley – a scenic valley sitting at 3566 meters with panoramic views of the Himalayas
- Malsi Deer Park – a nature park with a small zoo with deer and other animals, at the foothills of the Shivalik Range
- Tiger View Jungle Camp – for jungle safari and forest camping
- Mall Road – the commercial district of town for shopping Tibetan and Garhwali artifacts and trinkets
- Tapovan Ashram – a lush green valley surrounded by alpine meadows located above the Gangotri Glacier
- Bali Pass – a mountain pass flanked by Himalayas, connecting the Har Ki Dun Valley and Yamunotri Glacier, best for trekking.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Dehradun
Check out these popular eateries in Dehradun
- Black Pepper Restaurant, Astley Hall, Rajpur Rd
- The Swing’s Café, Brothers Tower, 163 A, 1st Floor, Rajpur Rd, Kishanpur
- Kalsang Café, Rajpur Rd, opposite Osho
- Orchard, 3/B, Dhakpatti, Near MDDA Park, Rajpur
- Town Table, 2nd Floor, 101, Rajpur Rd, above VLCC, Hathibarkala Salwala
- The Garage Kitchen, 1, General Mahadev Singh Rd, near Hotel Saffron Leaf, Shakti Enclave
Hotels and Resorts in Dehradun
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Walterre Resorts||Swami Lakshman Joo Marg, Jamoliwala, Bhagwant Pur, Utari Gaon, Uttarakhand 248001||09911020246|
|Hotel Boulevard||59/3 D, Rajpur Rd, Dobhalwala, Chukkuwala, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001||01352970530|
|Mango Tree Courtyard||33, Tilak Rd, Bindaal Tirahya, Jhanda Bazar, Tilak Nagar, Khurbura Mohalla, Chakrada, Uttarakhand 248001||09634435657|
|The Sal Woods – Forest Retreat and Spa||Jamoliwala, Galjwadi, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248141||08810250383|
|Old British House||217, Lane, Rajpur Rd, opp. Hotel Royal Inn, near GRD Academy, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248009||08171615791|
|EKO STAY – Hillcrest Villa||Ghughuti ku Baasa, Jamoliwala, Bhagwant pur, Guniyal Gaon, Uttarakhand 248008||NA|
Download our Savaari car booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.