Table of Contents
About Kabini National Park
The Kabini National Park is spread across an area of around 55 acres and is a part of the Nagarhole Park. It is one of the premier Tiger Reserves in India and is home to some fascinating flora and fauna. It is also known as an ornithologist’s paradise due to the range of species of birds found here.
Kabini National Park Facts
Here are some interesting facts about the Kabini National Park:
- The Kabini National Park was once a private hunting lodge of the Maharaja of Mysore.
- The Kabini Wildlife Safari is one of the best ways to explore the national park.
- There are over 250 species of birds that can be spotted here including the endangered oriental white-backed vulture.
How to Reach Kabini
The Kabini National Park is located in Karnataka and close to many major cities in South India. Here are some ways to reach the Kabini National Park.
Mysore is the closest major railway station to the Kabini National Park. You can reach Mysore from any location in India and then take a taxi from Mysore to Kabini National Park. The distance is around 65 km and you can get there in 60-90 minutes.
There are three airports close to the Kabini National Park:
- Mandakalli Airport (Mysore) – A small airport with limited flights primarily from the southern states, the Mysore Airport is at a distance of around 65 km from Kabini National Park. You can book a can from Mysore Airport to Kabini.
- Kempegowda International Airport (Bangalore) – The Bangalore International Airport is at a distance of around 265-270 km from Kabini. You can take a Bangalore Airport to Kabini National Park taxi and get there in five hours.
- Coimbatore International Airport – The Coimbatore Airport is at a distance of around 235-240 km from Kabini. A taxi from Coimbatore Airport to Kabini National Park should be a beautiful drive of a little over six hours.
To reach the Kabini National Park by road, you can take the following routes from different cities around:
- Mysore – The distance between Mysore and Kabini National Park is between 60 and 70 km. You can reach here fastest by booking a cab and taking the Mananthavadi Road and SH 33.
- Bangalore – The distance between Bangalore and Kabini National Park is between 205 and 210 km. You can reach here fastest by taking the Mysore Road and SH 33.
- Coimbatore – The distance between Coimbatore and Kabini National Park is between 235 and 240 km. You can reach here fastest by taking the NH948.
For exclusive discounts on all bookings, you can download our Savaari car Booking app
Kabini – Places to visit
Nagarhole National Park
This is one of the world’s best places to see the Asian Elephants in their natural habitat. It is rich with a wide variety of flora and fauna making it one of the must-visit places in Kabini.
Open on all days from 6 AM-9 AM and 4 PM-6.30 PM
Rs.50 for adult Indians and Rs.150 for foreigners
Best Time to Visit
While you can visit the Nagarhole National Park throughout the year, winters are very pleasant. However, visiting during the months of April and May can offer a better opportunity to sight most animals as they come to the lake for water.
Kabini River offers views right out of a postcard. Imagine going boating on this picturesque river exploring the backwaters with some unbelievable backdrops. It is the perfect place for a quiet evening alone or with a loved one.
Open on all days from 7 am to 6 pm.
Situated near Beechanahalli village in the district of Mysore, Kabini Dam is a majestic structure having a height of around 58 meters and a length of 2284 feet. The dense forest around the dam makes for a delightful setting for bird watching.
How to reach Kabini Reservoir
The route to reach Kabini Reservoir is the same as the National Park as mentioned above.
Kabini Wildlife Sanctuary
A sanctuary spread across 55 acres and nestled on the banks of the River Kabini, is one of the best places to visit in Kabini. You can opt for a Kabini forest safari to witness the variety of flora and fauna the place has to offer.
Kabini Safari Timings
The start time of the Kabini National Park Safari is 6 am and 7 am, as well as, 3.30 pm and 4.30 pm. The duration of the safari is around two hours. For Kabini Safari booking, you can visit the official website of Nagarhole National Park or physical counters present at the park. Ensure that you check the Kabini National Park Safari Timings and the Kabini National Park Entry Fee before planning your trip.
Kabini Backwater Viewpoint
From this location, you can catch mesmerizing views of mountains in the background and animals strolling in the fore. The sights from this viewpoint are picture-perfect everywhere you look.
Things to do in Kabini
- Go for an Elephant Safari. Ensure that you have a local Kabini travel guide who can take you to places in the forest where the chances of spotting animals are higher.
- Go for a Jungle Safari in a vehicle.
- Drift through the wilderness by going on a Boat Safari at Kabini River. Witness the life of local villages and be awed by some amazing views.
- If you are a trekking enthusiast, then Kabini National Park can be a great place to put your walking shoes on.
- You can also rent a bicycle and explore the villages and surrounding areas pedaling through the rustic lanes of the area.
Best time to visit Kabini
The best time to visit Kabini National Park is from April to May. While the weather during these months is hot, the summer dries up the water holes and causes most of the animals to come out to the lake for water. This makes spotting them easier. If we just look at the climatic conditions, then the winter months of November to February are the best time to visit Kabini Park.
Travel tips for visiting Kabini National Park
- Private Vehicles are not allowed inside the Kabini National Park.
- Forests are peaceful and quiet. Hence, when you are there, ensure that you don’t make loud noises as it might send animals back into hiding.
- When going on a safari, wear soft colors like pastels. Avoid bright colors as they can affect animals in different ways.
- Follow all instructions of the safari guide. One mistake can put you in harm’s way.
- Avoid wearing strong perfumes.
- Pack according to the season. Check the weather update and ensure that you carry clothes accordingly.
Resorts & Hotels to stay in Kabini National Park
Here is a list of resorts and hotels to stay in Kabini National Park:
- Serai Resort, Kabini
- Waterwoods Resort, Kabini
- The Bison Resort, Kabini
- Evolve Back, Kabini
- Kaav Safari Resort
- Kabini River Resort
- Kabini Lake View Resort
- Red Earth Resort
- Discovery Village Resort
- The Peepal Tree, Kabini
- Pepper Green Resort
Share this with your wildlife enthusiast friends and make a plan soon!