Srinagar – Heaven on Earth – is a place that you must visit at least once in your lifetime. Situated on the banks of the Jhelum River, it is a city right out of a beautiful painting. Mesmerizing views, amazing year-round weather, Srinagar will leave you with memories that you will cherish forever. From beautiful houseboats lining the Dal Lake, tourists in Shikaras, the floating vegetable market, to one of the most beautiful gardens in the world, Srinagar is undeniably heaven on earth. Now travel from Jammu to Srinagar comfortably with Savaari Car Rentals.
Traveling from Jammu to Srinagar by Car
Road trips are the perfect ways of going from one city to another. Jammu to Srinagar distance is between 260 and 340 kilometers. The travel time can vary between 7-10 hours.
When you travel from Jammu to Srinagar by car, you can be ready for a fascinating drive. Beautifully maintained roads, open vistas on either side with a few eateries to help you re-fuel along the way, you are sure to remember this trip for the scenic beauty and the sheer pleasure of a smooth drive. You can make the most of this road trip with Savaari Car Rentals and their expertise. Thus, experience the joy of being on the road by booking a cab from Savaari.
Best time to Take a Road trip from Jammu to Srinagar by Car
In India, winters are usually the best time to take a road trip. However, in Srinagar, winters can be a little harsh. Hence, the best time to travel would be just before the snow starts falling. Srinagar doesn’t experience proper monsoon season. However, you can revel in some amazing autumn colors in October. Plan your road trip after checking the state of the roads and the political situation of the region.
If you are planning a road trip from Jammu to Srinagar, then here are 2 different routes to travel the distance along with some interesting places to see and eateries to enjoy the local cuisines.
Route 1: Via NH44
|Jammu — Udhampur — Ramban — Qazigund — Lethipora
— Qasim Bagh — Srinagar
Vital Statistics – Distance, Time & Highway Quality
Popular Places along the way:
- Katra for a trek to Vaishno Devi –After a 30km drive from Jammu, you can take an exit to Katra from where the trek to Vaishno Devi starts. While this will be a detour, if visiting Vaishno Devi has been on your cards, then you must plan this detour.
- Patnitop – This is again a slight detour from the NH44 but the mesmerizing panoramic views of endless meadows and the mighty Himalayas from Patnitop are bound to leave you speechless. You might even want to stay there for a night!
- Swalkot Dam – Around 45 kilometers further you will reach Ramban where you can find the famous Swalkot Dam – a Hydro Power Project constructed by the Government.
- Jawahar Tunnel – This is a 2.85km long tunnel between Banihal and Qazigund. It was constructed in the 1950s and still offers a memorable drive.
- Titanic View Point – Around 2km from the Jawahar Tunnel you will find the Titanic View Point that offers a first glimpse of the beautiful Kashmir valley.
- Bijbehara (cricket bat manufacturing center) – Kashmiri willow bats are famous around the world and Bijbehara is the center of most bat manufacture in the region.
- Saffron market, Pampore – Buy locally grown saffron here
Places to eat along the way:
- Punjabi Haveli, Domel, Jammu – For some lip-smacking North-Indian food
- Sarmuli – For traditional ‘namkeen (salted)’ Kashmiri tea
- Kud Market – You can find ATMs here! Also, this market is famous for local meals and tea breaks.
- Patnitop – being a hill station, you can find many options for a snacky-break
- Peerah Market – Must-try the famous Rajma Chawal at Khajuria Vaishno Bhojanalya and Sharma Dhaba.
- Khan Sweet Shop, Ramban – A great place to stop for a quick bite or a tea break
- Banihal – Another superb place to halt and breathe in the fresh Kashmir air while sipping on a hot cup of tea
- Mount View Dhaba, Qazigund – a must-visit for local delicacies
Route 2: Via NH144A
|Jammu — Sunderbani — Rajouri — Azmatabad — Shopian — Pulwama
Vital Statistics – Distance, Time & Highway Quality
Popular places along the way:
- Rajouri district – You can take a break as you hit the Rajouri district and visit the Mangaladevi Fort or Dehra ki Gali.
- Mughal Road – You will be taking this road from NH144A to connect to Shopian. The road itself has a lot of historical significance and some amazing views.
- Pulwama – The Rice Bowl of Kashmir, Pulwama has a hidden natural beauty yet to be explored by many. You can visit the Aharbal Falls, Shikargarh, Payer temple, and Tarsar & Marsar Lake.
- Pir Panjal Range – If you are up for a detour of around 150km, then you can visit the famous Pir Panjal Range or Panchaladeva according to Hindu scriptures.
Places to eat along the way:
- Friends Family Dhaba – Try the Special Amritsari Nan, Kulcha, Peede de Rajma-Rice with Pure Desi Ghee.
- Sunderbani – Take a quick break here for some amazing tea at Sunil Tea stall or Rochak Tea stall
- Rajouri – Check out some local eateries here like Sharma Klari Shop, Aashirwaad Hotel, Shoket juice corner, Kashmiri Flavors Restaurant, Kaku Ram and Sons, Sachin Fast Food, etc.
- Shopian – Take your next break here and explore some restaurants and dhabas around like Dewan Sahab vegetarian restaurant, Daanish Mughlai restaurant, Smart Café, etc.
- Pulwama – Some eateries to explore here are the Naaz Hotel and Restaurant, The Arabian Bakery & Café, Kathi Junction Pulwama, Abdullah Café & Eatery, etc.
Other means of traveling from Jammu to Srinagar
There is no way of going from Jammu to Srinagar by train. There are no trains connecting Jammu and Srinagar. In fact, to travel to Srinagar from Jammu, you can take a 2-hour train to Udhampur and then travel by road.
Should you wish to book your trains tickets, it is advisable to check various online portals and the Indian Railways website for accurate updated information.
Traveling from Jammu to Srinagar by flight takes around 35 minutes. Srinagar is well-connected by domestic as well as international flights. The airlines that operate flights between Jammu and Srinagar are Air India, IndiGo, Go Air, Spice Jet, and Vistara. The average number of weekly flights from Jammu to Srinagar is 66.
For more details, always check online portals and official websites of airlines for accurate fares and real-time updates.
Explore Srinagar Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Srinagar is the pride of the Kashmir Valley and is known as Heaven on Earth. It is situated along the Jhelum River and has amazing weather all around the year. Once there, most tourists feel like they have stepped into a painting. You will be mesmerized with the views of houseboats lining the Dal Lake, shikaras transporting tourists, and some beautiful garden. Here’s a comprehensive guide to traveling around Lucknow and taking home only the best experience.
Attractions in Srinagar for Sightseeing
- Dal Lake – The jewel of Srinagar offering some amazing views
- Mughal Gardens – A combination of Shalimar Gardens, Nishat Bagh, and Chashm-e-Shahi, these gardens are a must-see for all travelers.
- Shikara Ride – Don’t miss the shikara ride across the Dal Lake
- Hazratbal Shrine – This shrine houses an heir of the prophet Muhammad, a relic titled Moi-e-Muqqadas.
- Wular Lake – India’s largest freshwater lake and the best spot for bird watching.
- Baramulla – for its untouched beauty
- Yusmarg – an under-explored hill station in Jammu & Kashmir
Places to Eat in Srinagar
- Roadside bakeries at Lal Chowk and Dal Gate for tsot (a small round bread with poppy seeds), sheermal, baqerkhani, lavas, and kulcha. You can wash this down with salted tea called sheer or noon chai.
- Ahdoos and Mughal Durbar on Shervani Road & Bismillah Restaurant on Jawahar Road for Kosher Tamoul with gogji razmah, roghni chamman, nadir-haaq, dum aloo, Haak saag, etc. Also, try the sweetish Kashmiri pulao, laced with dry fruits, along with walnut chutney.
- Snack places around the Dal Lake for Lotus stems, peas, and potatoes deep fried in gram flour with kahwa.
- Food Gali at Lal Chowk and Shamyana Restaurant at Dal Gate for Wazwan – an elaborate meal of 36 dishes.
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Srinagar
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Vivanta Dal View||Kralsangri, Brein, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 191121||0194 246 1111|
|The Orchard Retreat & Spa||Pathan Colony, zakura, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190006||096223 33330|
|The LaLiT Grand Palace||Gupkar Rd, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190001||0194 250 1001|
|Radisson Srinagar||11, MA Road, Kashmir Golf Course, Nohata, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190001||0194 248 4000|
|Helen Of Troy Houseboat||Dal Lake, Nehru Park, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190001||094694 01928|