- Why travel from Haridwar to Rishikesh?
- Traveling from Haridwar to Rishikesh by Car
- Best Time to Visit
- Popular Routes from Haridwar to Rishikesh
- Other means of traveling from Haridwar to Rishikesh
- Attractions in Rishikesh for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Rishikesh
- Hotels and Resorts in Rishikesh
Sitting at the foothills of the Garhwal Himalayas, the mountain town of Rishikesh offer spiritual vibes along with delightful views of the Himalayan landscape. From the pine-covered valleys to the roaring upstream Ganges, and the occasional views of the distant peaks, Rishikesh is a treat for the sore eyes and the troubled soul.
Why travel from Haridwar to Rishikesh?
Rishikesh is also known as the Yoga Capital of the World and is famous among adventure sports enthusiasts too. Whether you want a dose of divinity or are seeking adventures like river rafting, trekking, hiking, or more, Rishikesh has something for every kind of traveler. But the real joy in discovering the beauty of this place comes from a journey that will lead you here. With Savaari’s tour packages from Haridwar to Rishikesh, you can customize an itinerary and turn a simple drive into a memorable road trip.
Traveling from Haridwar to Rishikesh by Car
From one spiritual locale to another, the road to Rishikesh passes through dense Himalayan forests and upper reaches of the Ganges. Depending on the route, you will pass through small towns, old temples, and ashrams along your way, and enjoy a scenic drive. With Savaari’s cab service from Haridwar to Rishikesh, you can make a stopover at any of these places for a quick tour. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Haridwar by Rishikesh by car.
Important Highway Information about Haridwar to Rishikesh
|Highway Name||Haridwar to Rishikesh Highway|
|Alternate Name||National Highway 58|
|Highway Number||NH – 58|
Best Time to Visit
Tucked in the valleys of the Lower Himalayas, Rishikesh exhibits a cool and temperate weather pattern. Thus, making it apt to explore any time of the year. However, being in the higher altitudes, winter months are very chilly but not freezing. And rest of the year is quite pleasant. Depending on your travel agenda, you can choose the right season to visit Rishikesh. For example, if you want to take part in the Yoga Festival, then March is when you should travel.
Quick Facts about Haridwar to Rishikesh
|Road Distance from Haridwar to Rishikesh||23 kms|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Rishikesh by Road||36 minutes|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Rishikesh by Train||21 minutes|
|Best Routes||Delhi to Mussoorie Via NH58|
|Best time to visit||October to February|
Popular Routes from Haridwar to Rishikesh
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Haridwar to Rishikesh via Cheela Dham – Rishikesh Road
This might be a little longer route than the alternative but is the best route to travel between Haridwar and Rishikesh. It is also the fastest, because the Haridwar to Rishikesh traffic on this route is very minimal and there are no major road closures. The distance between Haridwar and Rishikesh on this route is somewhere around 30 KM and takes less than 45 minutes. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Haridwar to Rishikesh road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Haridwar to Rishikesh
|Haridwar -> Cheela Colony -> Veerbhadra -> Rishikesh|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route
- Cheela Dam Tourist Point – Famous hydroelectric project in Uttarakhand, on upstream Ganges, great for a refreshing stop and catch mountain views.
- Rajaji Tiger Reserve, Ganga Bhogpur Malla – One of the most prominent national reserves of Uttarakhand, known for Save Tiger Project, good for a quick jungle safari.
- Chilla Canal View Point – Inlets of the Ganges, channeled in a canal, offers stunning views of the valleys, mountains, and great for sunrises.
- Chilla Bridge, Veerbhadra – A bridge over the upstream Ganges, great for stopping by for photos.
Places to eat along this route
- The Jungle Café, Kodia – Small, casual eatery inside forest, serving quick meals, fast food, tea and coffee in a rustic setting, good for groups.
- Garhwali Fast Food, Ganga Bhogpur Malla – Typical highway side fast food joint serving cheap, local food.
- Leaf Shade Resort & Restaurant, Veerbhadra – Highway lodging with in-house restaurant, serving standard, vegetarian North Indian meals.
Haridwar to Rishikesh Road Condition via route 1
The Haridwar to Rishikesh road condition via route 1 is excellent. It is the fastest route, has tolls but no road closures.
Route 2: Distance and Time taken from Haridwar to Rishikesh via Ambala-Dehradun-Haridwar Rd/Haridwar Rd/Haridwar – Dehradun Rd and NH 7
This is a shorter route than the previous one and also takes lesser time to travel from Haridwar to Rishikesh. But the road conditions on this route is variable. The distance from Haridwar to Rishikesh on this route is only 23 KM and takes only an hour or so. To avoid road closures, always check for latest updates and follow a live map when traveling to get best idea of Haridwar to Rishikesh road conditions.
|Haridwar -> Har Ki Pauri -> Bhoopatwala -> Bibiwala -> Rishikesh|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route
- Pawan Dham, Haridwar – A famous and sacred temple of Haridwar, sitting on the banks of the Ganges, also a renowned pilgrim site.
- Shantikunj Gayatri Parivar, Motichure – A prominent ashram of the region, hosting spiritual camps, discourses, and educational programs in a tranquil setting.
- Rajaji Tiger Reserve, Motichur Gate – An alternative access point to the Rajaji National Park, good for a quick drive-through or a jungle trek.
Places to eat along this route
- Ann Jal Restaurant, Motichur – Highway side, casual eatery serving standard North Indian vegetarian meals, good for families.
- Limelight Restaurant, Haripur Kalan – In-house restaurant of a chain hotel serving meals, snacks, beverages, and buffets.
- Nautiyal’s Deli Kitchen Restaurant & Caterers, Raiwala – Prominent local eatery serving vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals in a casual setting, and outdoor seating. Good for families and groups.
Haridwar to Rishikesh Road Condition via route 2:
The Haridwar to Rishikesh road condition via route 2 is good. Although it is the shorter route, it has possible road closures.
Haridwar to Rishikesh Best Route
Since it’s a very short distance between Haridwar and Rishikesh, you can take either of the above routes. However, depending on the season, you may want to avoid the route that has possible closures. To narrow it down, while Route 1 seems a tad longer, it’s more scenic and gives you different landscape views in different seasons.
Other means of traveling from Haridwar to Rishikesh
How to Reach Rishikesh By Train
You can also travel from Haridwar to Rishikesh by train. There are a total of 5 trains that run between these two destinations. The train distance from Haridwar to Rishikesh is about 30 KM and could take somewhere between one and half to two and half hours, depending on the train. The fastest train is BME-RISHIKESH LINK (24888). For all train bookings from Haridwar to Rishikesh, visit any online travel portal or Indian Railways’ website for latest information.
|Train Name||Departure||Arrival||Duration||Check Availability|
|15119 – Rmm Muv Express||03:35 AM||04:08 AM||33 min||Click Here|
|14265 – Bsd Ddn Express||04:15 AM||04:36 AM||21 min||Click Here|
|13009 – Doon Express||04:30 AM||04:50 AM||20 min||Click Here|
|14041 – Mussoorie Exp||06:45 AM||7:03 AM||18 min||Click Here|
|14610 – Hemkund Express||07:10 AM||7:39 AM||29 min||Click Here|
|14632 – Asr Ddn Express||07:35 AM||7:59 AM||24 min||Click Here|
How to Reach Rishikesh By Flight
There is no flight service between Haridwar and Rishikesh. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun (DED). If you are traveling from any other city, then you can fly to Dehradun and then take a cab. Otherwise, from Haridwar, a cab service is the best and only option to reach Rishikesh.
Attractions in Rishikesh for Sightseeing
Rishikesh is a quiet, quaint, and cozy hill town with quite a few interesting places to see and do.
- Laxman Jhula – a famous suspension bridge with majestic views of the Himalayas and the Ganges.
- Whitewater rafting on the upstream river or canoeing in the quieter downstream.
- International Yoga Festival – an annual festival to celebrate wellness through yoga, held at riverside venues.
- Triveni Ghat – banks on the Ganges famous for religious rituals and evening aarti.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Rishikesh
Just like its culture and vibes, Rishikesh’s food is also a blend of many things. From the traditional, Garhwali meals to 21st-century wellness-driven cuisines, you will find a wide variety of flavors in Rishikesh.
- Here are some of the best places to eat in town –
- A Tavola Con Te, Near Autorikshaw Stand, Inter College Road, Tapovan Sarai
- Jal & Jalebi, 237, Virbhadra Road / Barrage Road, near AIIMS
- Ayurpak Rishikesh, Tapovan, Rishikesh
- The Sitting Elephant, Hotel EllBee Ganga View, 355, Haridwar Rd, Palika Nagar
- Zorba Organic Café, Laxman Jhula, Near Dharamraj Temple
Hotels and Resorts in Rishikesh
|Place Name||Address||Phone Number|
|The Grand Alova by Wild Heritage||Badrinath Rd, Tapovan, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249192||NA|
|Swiss Cottage and Spa By Salvus, Rishikesh||Area, By Pass Road, Tapovan, Laxman Jhula, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249192||081818 28393|
|Aloha On The Ganges, Rishikesh||NH 58, Tapovan, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249192||0135 244 2777|
|Hill Top Swiss Cottage||High Bank, Bhirkhet, Tapovan, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249192||080065 51415|
|GANGA KINARE – A Riverside Boutique Hotel||237, Virbhadra Rd, Sturida Colony, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249201||090155 44000|
Things to Keep in Mind
- Depending on the season and agenda of the trip, pack your clothes and outdoor gear.
- Avoid driving/riding bikes/motorbikes in the hills during rains or snow.
- Carry all hygiene related items – sanitizer, masks, disinfectant sprays while traveling.
- Most temples and religious places have dress codes and decency rules. Make sure you are prepared accordingly.
- Use most of the daylight hours to explore the outdoors, especially in the mountainous areas.
- While going for high-intensity sports like rafting, trekking, etc. always join a professional group or go with a guide.
- Pandemic rules may affect visiting hours of tourist sites and restaurants. Check online or call before you visit.
Savaari Safety Tips for Road Trips from Haridwar to Rishikesh
- Carry all hygiene related items – sanitizer, masks, disinfectant sprays and a bed sheet to cover the seat with, while traveling.
- Use a hand sanitizer before and after your ride.
- Install the Aarogya Setu app before your trip.
- Running the AC continuously during the trip is not recommended. If you were to use the AC, please ensure that it is run in the recirculated mode and the windows are lowered at frequent intervals.
- Dispose of any tissues or pieces of cloth that you may have used outside the car.
- If you have opted for a car rental service, try to load your luggage in the boot of the car yourself to ensure a zero-contact ride.
- Maintain a safe distance between yourself and the driver.
Download our savaari car rental app for a smooth and pleasant journey.