Table of Contents
- Why travel from Haridwar to Kedarnath?
- Travelling from Haridwar to Kedarnath by car
- Best Time To Visit
- Popular Routes from Haridwar to Kedarnath
- Haridwar to Kedarnath Best Route
- How to Reach Kedarnath By Train
- How to Reach Kedarnath By Flight
- Attractions in Kedarnath for Sightseeing
- Savaari Recommends – Popular Places to Eat in Kedarnath
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Kedarnath
Why travel from Haridwar to Kedarnath?
Kedarnath is an important Hindu pilgrimage site in Uttarakhand, situated at the foothills of the Garhwal Himalayas, where the Ganges exit the glaciers and enter the northern plains.
The ancient town is considered holy for being one of the Char Dhams of Hinduism. Besides the divine vibes, Kedarnath is also a popular trekking destination for pro trekkers and offers the most breathtaking views of the Himalayas, where it remains snowclad almost all year round. One of the remotest pilgrim towns, a trip to Kedarnath is usually a part of a holistic pilgrimage tour, starting from Haridwar, another popular spiritual destination in the state.
Needless to say, this is a difficult journey so you would want to plan a comfortable yet memorable drive. With Savaari’s tour packages from Haridwar to Kedarnath, you can customize your trip itinerary as per your travel needs/goals, budget, time etc. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Haridwar by Kedarnath by car.
Traveling from Haridwar to Kedarnath by car
The Haridwar-Kedarnath route passes through other important pilgrimage sites and Himalayan villages. With our completely customizable Haridwar to Kedarnath trip packages, you can enjoy a scenic ride through pine forests, valleys, and winding mountain roads, along the foothills of the Himalayas before you enter the colder glacial region. Along your way, you will pass popular places like Rishikesh, Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Sonprayag, and Gaurikund.
With our cab service from Haridwar to Kedarnath, you can stop at any of these places or make a detour to any of the holy temples in these towns, capture the natural beauty, or catch a glimpse of the local culture.
Best Time To Visit
Though the doors to this divine destination are always open, one must take nature into consideration while traveling and make your trip plan according to the weather. Since Kedarnath is located near the Himalayan glaciers, the weather here is mostly freezing.
If you are a pro trekker/mountaineer, and want to brave the weather, then you can visit any time of the year, except during peak snowfall. Otherwise, the best time to visit Kedarnath is during the summer months, between March and June or in autumn, between September and November.
Popular Routes from Haridwar to Kedarnath
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Haridwar to Kedarnath via NH 34, NH 7 & NH 107
This is the only route to travel from Haridwar to Kedarnath. But this route is not completely drivable. The vehicle access is only till Gaurikund. And from Gaurikund you have to do a 16KM trek. So, this route to Kedarnath from Haridwar is a combination of a road trip and a long trek.
This is the shortest, fastest, and the best route to travel from Haridwar to Kedarnath by road. The distance between Haridwar and Kedarnath on this route is somewhere around 232KM and takes nearly 8 hours. The traffic on this route is also minimal, except when it rains or there is snowfall. So, always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Haridwar to Kedarnath road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Haridwar to Kedarnath via Sonprayag –
|Haridwar — Rishikesh — Devprayag — Srinagar — Agastamuni — Guptkashi — Sonprayag — Gaurikund — Kedarnath|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Pawan Dham, Haridwar – A famous and sacred temple of Haridwar, sitting on the banks of the Ganges, also a renowned pilgrim site.
- Shantikunj Gayatri Parivar, Motichure – A prominent ashram of the region, hosting spiritual camps, discourses, and educational programs in a tranquil setting.
- Rajaji Tiger Reserve, Motichur Gate – An alternative access point to the Rajaji National Park, good for a quick drive-through or a jungle trek.
- Valley View Point, Srinagar – A viewing point on the highway overlooking the mountains and valleys, best seen during spring when the valley is covered with fresh foliage and wild flowers, good for a day picnic, photo ops.
- Rudraprayag View Point, Rudraprayag – A viewing point on the highway, on the bridge over Rudraprayag River. Also see the confluence of Mandakini and Rudraprayag rivers from here, good for sunrise, sunset views, day trips.
- Kamla Waterfall, Chopta-Bhiri Road – A small waterfall along the highway, tucked inside pine forests surrounded by wooded areas, good for day treks, photo ops, picnics.
Places to eat along this route:
- Ann Jal Restaurant, Motichur – Highway side, casual eatery serving standard North Indian vegetarian meals, good for families.
- Nautiyal’s Deli Kitchen Restaurant & Caterers, Raiwala – Prominent local eatery serving vegetarian and non-vegetarian meals in a casual setting, and outdoor seating. Good for families and groups.
- Little Buddha Café, Rishikesh – Cozy riverside restaurant serving vegetarian and café food, good for breakfast and quick meals, kid-friendly.
- Eating Point, Devprayag – Local fast-food joint serving quick meals, small meals, and beverages, good for quick stops, family-friendly.
- Apna Dhaba, Rudraprayag – Standard highway side eatery serving meal plates and dhaba style food, good for big groups, family friendly.
- BRN Resort, Sersi – A restaurant in a local resort serving meals and snacks, good for families, big groups, and offers great mountain views.
Haridwar to Kedarnath Road Condition via this route:
This is the fastest route to travel from Haridwar to Kedarnath and is used by most travelers. This route has standard highway tolls and the road conditions are better since there are no road closures as of June 2022.
Haridwar to Kedarnath Best Route:
This is the best route to travel from Haridwar to Kedarnath. However, depending on the season, you may want to avoid inner roads/service roads in case there are possible closures. This route is also quite scenic and interesting with more food and sightseeing options.
Other means of traveling from Haridwar to Kedarnath
There is no railway station in Kedarnath or anywhere in close proximity. The nearest railway station to Kedarnath is in Rishikesh, about 216KM away. From Rishikesh you have to take the long-distance buses or rent a local car or an outstation cab to reach Sonprayag/Gaurikund and then trek all the way to Kedarnath. There are also horses/ponies available to climb the steep slopes of the mountains. You can also hire a car rental in Haridwar to visit your destination.
There is no flight service between Haridwar and Kedarnath. The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun (DED). If you are traveling from any other city, then you can fly to Dehradun and then take a rental car or local cab to Kedarnath. Otherwise, from Haridwar, a cab service is the best and only option to reach Kedarnath through Gaurikand.
Attractions in Kedarnath for Sightseeing
One of the most significant pilgrimage destinations, Kedarnath is famous for its divine energy and magnificent views of snow-clad Himalayas. So, this destination has abundant nature and culture to offer.
- Kedarnath Temple – the highest temple of the region enshrining one of the 12 Jyotirlinga of Shina and is said to be more than 1000 years old. The temple structure is also a sight to see with its imposing tower and ancient stone-cut architecture. The inner walls have carvings of various Hindu deities and mythological events.
- Vasuki Tal – A glacial lake, Vasuki Tal sits at 13500+ feet and is one of the few accessible glacial lakes in this region. The lake area is a popular destination among trekkers, with uninterrupted views of Chaukhamba peak. You can also see the Chaturangi and Vasuki glaciers on the way here.
- Shankaracharya Samadhi – A temple preserving the shrine of Adi Shankaracharya, the proponent of Advaita Philosophy.
- Sonprayag – Sitting above 6000 feet, Sonprayag is a small hamlet nestled on the banks of the confluence of Mandakini and Basuki Rivers. This river conjunction is also considered holy.
- Bhairavnath Temple – Located 500 meters from Kedarnath temple, sits this another ancient temple. It enshrines another avatar of Shiva – Bhairav. The temple is perched atop a small hillock, offering stunning views of the Himalayas and the valley of Kedarnath below.
- Chorabari Lake – Also called Gandhi Sarovar/Tal, this is a gorgeous glacial lake with crystal clear water, sitting at 12500+ feet. The lake originates in the Chorabari Bamak Glacier. This lake is at a short trek from the Kedarnath temple.
- Gaurikund – This high-altitude lake in Guptakashi is the starting point of Kedarnath trek and the last vehicle-access point in the region. The place also serves as a basecamp. The Gaurikund Temple along the lake is also an important pilgrimage site.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Kedarnath
Here are some of the best places you can grab a bite to eat in the temple town –
- Tiwari Hotel & Restaurant
- Kedarnath Bhandara
- Rajasthani Langar
- Achanak Dhaba
- Kedarnath Hotel
- Pahadi Kitchen, Kedarnath Rd, Sonprayag
Book a cab in Kedarnath to visit these major eateries.
Hotels and Resorts in Kedarnath
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Kafaltree Cottage||Kedarnath Rd, behind govt hospital, Phata, Uttarakhand 246471||NA|
|GMVN Cottages||Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam Ltd. 741 Rajpur Road Dehradun-248001||9438472431|
|Bahuguna Residency||P3M8+RJ2, Gauri Kund – Kedarnath Dham Trekking Way, Kedarnath, Uttarakhand 246445||NA|
|Kedarayatih Resort||Jamu Village Road, Phata, Uttarakhand 246471||NA|
|Kedar River Retreat||P.O, NH-107, Kedarnath Road, Sitapur, Rampur, Uttarakhand 246471||08265830866|
|Hotel Himachal House||P3M8+JC6, Gauri Kund – Kedarnath Trekking Way, beside Kedarnath Temple, Kedarnath, Uttarakhand 246445||09412356025|