Sitting in the heart of the mystical land of Meghalaya, Shillong is a pure treasure of nature. Its many gardens, lakes and the rills and waterfalls near it make it a perfect destination. The best way to enjoy this city is by taking a road trip from Guwahati.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Guwahati to Shillong?
- Traveling from Guwahati to Shillong?
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- How to Reach Shillong By Train
- How to Reach Shillong By Flight
- Attractions in Shillong for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Shillong
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Shillong
Why travel from Guwahati to Shillong?
Surrounded by hills, valleys, rivers, and forests, Shillong is as good as it gets for a nature retreat, surrounded by amazing natural beauty. You can make your Shillong experience more interesting when you drive from Guwahati in a Savaari cab. With our customizable trip plans and itineraries, you can do more than just a regular road trip, and enjoy a comfortable ride, while making your journey interesting at the same time.
Traveling from Guwahati to Shillong by car
The Guwahati to Shillong road makes for a scenic drive and is one of the best routes in this part of the country. Take a Guwahati To Shillong road trip and have an enjoyable journey through the lush green landscape of northern Meghalaya. With our completely customizable Guwahati to Shillong trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do some quick sightseeing.
Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Guwahati to Shillong by car.
Best Time to Visit
Shillong experiences a sub-tropical climate and has pleasant weather throughout the year. The winter months are cool and pleasant though the temperature can hit freezing. Monsoons bring constant heavy rainfall. The summers are relatively more pleasant than other parts of the country and early summer is one of the best times to visit Shillong by road. So, if you want to experience the best of Shillong, plan your travel in the summer or winter months.
Popular Routes from Guwahati to Shillong
Best route: Guwahati to Shillong via NH6
This is the shortest and fastest route to cover the Guwahati to Shillong distance which is approximately 99 KM. You can most probably expect regular Guwahati to Shillong traffic, but certainly no severe congestion. So,1 it is certainly important that you check for live traffic updates and follow real-time maps to get a better idea of road conditions.
Here’s a basic Guwahati to Shillong road map for this route:
|Guwahati – Jorabat – Pahammawlein – Shangbangla – Umsning – Mawlyngkhung – Mawlai-Mawiong – Shillong|
Popular places along the way:
- Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary, Shangbangla: Take a detour from the main road to visit this pristine wildlife reserve, one of the best in the country.
- Sohliya: A colorful village that is famous for its Strawberry Festival.
- Umiam Lake, Umiam: Stop at this beautiful lake for a quiet break.
Places to eat on this route:
- Green star Hotel Restaurant, Byrnihat: Local restaurant serving vegetarian fare.
- Jiva Veg Restaurant, Nongpoh: Popular vegetarian restaurant with good ambiance serving Indian food and sandwiches.
- Excelencia Restaurant Nongpoh, Nongpoh: A good spot for a break with family-friendly surroundings.
Guwahati to Shillong Road Condition via NH6:
The Guwahati to Shillong road condition via NH6 is excellent. It is the fastest route, has tolls but no road closure. This is also the only direct route to cover the Guwahati to Shillong distance by road.
Guwahati to Shillong Best Route
The above route is the best option for traveling from Guwahati to Shillong. It has interesting stopovers and a good number of food stops. NH6 is also the only direct route recommended by Google Maps. Hence, if you want to save time and still enjoy a gorgeous road trip with plenty of great stops, then this route is your best option.
Other means of traveling from Guwahati to Shillong
How to Reach Shillong By Train
There is no rail line that covers the Guwahati to Shillong distance by train. Shillong does not have rail connectivity. Guwahati Railway Station is, in fact, the closest railhead to Shillong.
How to Reach Shillong By Flight
You can also fly from Guwahati to Shillong. The nearest airport is the Umroi Airport, also known as Shillong Airport (SHL), which is about 40 KM from the city center.
The average Guwahati to Shillong flight duration is 3 hours and usually costs between Rs 3000 to 5000 depending on the airline, flight route, booking window, available deals, and the travel season. For your Guwahati to Shillong flight booking, visit any online travel portal or check with the airlines’ direct website. You can hire a reliable Shillong airport taxi for a convenient ride to your hotel in the city.
Attractions for Sightseeing in Shillong
The name Shillong means “the abode of the clouds” and the natural beauty of the city justifies this. Explore these important spots to soak up the full Shillong experience:
- Shillong Peak & View Point – with an altitude of 1962 meters, this mountaintop provides great views and is believed to be the abode of the deity that protects Shillong.
- Phan Nonglait Park – a Japanese-style park providing a peaceful spot for quiet relaxation.
- Mawphlang Sacred Forest – an important sacred site and tourist destination boasting a wide variety of plants, some more than 1000 years old.
- Captain Williamson Sangma State Museum – a popular tourist spot that celebrates the cultural history of the state.
- Dawki – a major destination for adventurers, trekkers, naturalists, and romantic travelers, about 80 km from the city center.
- Ward’s Lake – This scenic lake surrounded by beautiful flowers is a truly calming place.
- Nohkalikai Falls – At 340 meters, this is the tallest plunge waterfall in India.
- Don Bosco Museum – This museum houses an extensive collection of regional artifacts and teaches visitors about the history and culture of the state.
- Dawki River – The clear waters of this river are so pure that you can see right down to the riverbed.
- Cherrapunji – This high-altitude town 2 hours from Shillong is famous for its living root bridges.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Shillong
An eclectic mix of cultures from the neighboring states and across the borders, the city of Shillong offers an assortment of cuisines across its streets, cafes, eateries, and upscale restaurants.
To sample the best of Shillong’s palette, check out these top places.
- City Hut Family Dhaba, Earle Holiday Home, Oakland Road, Police Bazar, Shillong, Meghalaya 793001
- Cafe Shillong, Don Bosco, Nongkynrih, Laitumkhrah, Shillong, Meghalaya 793003
- Deja Vu Shillong, Police Point, Laitumkhrah Dejavu Restuarant 3rd Floor, Branto Complex Building, Red hill Rd, Shillong 793003
- ML 05 Cafe, AH 1, Mawsynram-Shillong Rd, near Eastern Air Command, Shillong, Meghalaya 793005
- Qzine Restaurant, Police Bazar, Shillong, Meghalaya 793001
- Madras Cafe, Jail Road Opp Mtc Building, Police Bazar, Shillong 793001
- Heritage Club – Tripura Castle, Cleve Colony, Tripura Castle Road, Shillong, Meghalaya 793003
Hotels and Resorts in Shillong
|A La Maison||Laban East Road Avidons Villa near Bengalee Boys School, Shillong, Meghalaya 793004||070854 00631|
|Rockski Boutique Bed and Breakfast||Laitumkhrah, Shillong, Meghalaya 793003||093664 47515|
|Cafe Shillong Bed and Breakfast||31 Lower, Lachumiere, Shillong, Meghalaya 793001||089740 66089|
|The Loft – Executive Inn||Lower New Colony, Near NEEPCO (North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited), Laitumkhrah, Shillong, Meghalaya 793003||0364 250 7546|
|Windermere Inn, Shillong||Lumheh, Umpling, Near B.S.F Gate, No.04, Neigrihms Cir Rd, Shillong, Meghalaya 793006||0364 253 7735|
Things to Keep in Mind While Traveling to Shillong
- Some temples and religious sites may have strict dress codes and rules, so make sure to dress accordingly and follow the temple policies.
- If you are renting a car, keep the vehicle with you throughout the trip as local transportation may not be as developed or frequent as in cities.
- When driving on hilly roads, always be extra careful, especially during the rainy season as the roads may be wet and slippery.
- Shillong can be used as a base to undertake treks and short-day trips to a number of nearby locales.
Savaari Safety Tips for Road Trips from Guwahati to Shillong
- Carry all hygiene related items – sanitizer, masks, disinfectant sprays and a bed sheet to cover the seat with, while traveling.
- Use a hand sanitizer before and after your ride.
- Running the AC continuously during the trip is not recommended. If you were to use the AC, please ensure that it is run in the recirculated mode and the windows are lowered at frequent intervals.
- Dispose of any tissues or pieces of cloth that you may have used outside the car.
- If you have opted for a car rental service, try to load your luggage in the boot of the car yourself to ensure a zero-contact ride.
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey