Once the wettest place on earth, Cherrapunji is one of the most scenic places where you can witness the mountains filled with mist and rivers descending into fascinating waterfalls. Furthermore, situated roughly 50 Kms from Shillong, this town in Meghalaya is renowned for its natural caves, thriving fauna, and flora, making the place truly mesmerizing. And while Mawsynram has now become the wettest place worldwide, Cherrapunji still holds the history for the highest recorded rainfall in a year.
Besides the well-known living root bridge, other scenic attractions include cavern formations such as the Mawsmai Caves and Krem Phyllut, making this place a sight to behold. Also, it might not be wrong to say that Cherrapunji is unquestionably heaven on earth and home to several exotic cultures and indigenous tribes. Moreover, visiting Cherrapunji in the Meghalaya state will offer a unique perspective of the North Eastern territory and a delightful experience you will never forget. Keep reading below to learn more about the comprehensive Guwahati to Cherrapunji itinerary and the most suitable routes to reach Guwahati to Cherrapunji.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Guwahati to Cherrapunji?
- Travelling from Guwahati to Cherrapunji by Car
- Best Time To Visit Cherrapunji from Guwahati
- Popular Routes from Guwahati to Cherrapunji
- How to Reach Cherrapunji By Train
- How to Reach Cherrapunji By Flight
- Popular sightseeing attractions in Cherrapunji
- Popular places to eat in Cherrapunji
- Hotels and Resorts in Cherrapunji
Why travel from Guwahati to Cherrapunji?
If you’ve always fancied visiting scenic spots where mountains meet the ground and scenic attractions delight your senses, Cherrapunji is the perfect spot to travel from Guwahati. Furthermore, Cherrapunji town remains filled with gushing rivers and streams, making it the perfect spot for boating and abundant natural caves, waterfalls, lush meadows, and blooming flora and fauna.
Besides all this, there are several fun things to do in Cherrapunji, and the weather here is quite agreeable throughout the year, making it a tourist-friendly spot. Furthermore, When you take a road trip from Guwahati to Cherrapunji, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Travelling from Guwahati to Cherrapunji by Car
The picturesque waterfalls, undulating cliffs, the scenic panorama of the Bangladesh plains and a peek at the local tribal lifestyle make a visit to Cherrapunji memorable. And you can add more delight to this experience by taking a roadtrip from Guwahati to Cherrapunji. The foggy valleys and the waterfalls in the area make a long drive through Cherrapunji perfect for travellers who love road trips.
In addition, the spectacular panoramic vistas of the canyon and waterfalls, such as the well-known Nohkalikai Waterfalls, are incredible adventures to participate in during sunny winter days. The Guwahati to Cherrapunji distance is roughly 146.5 km, and you can cover it within 4 to 5 hours. Likewise, The Guwahati to Cherrapunji route is breathtaking and offers the perfect panorama of nature in its full glory. Moreover, the higher altitude makes it a perfect place to indulge in a quick trek and make some memories for a lifetime!
With our completely customizable Guwahati to Cherrapunji trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Guwahati to Cherrapunji by car. Thus, experience the joy of being on the road by renting a Cherrapunji cab from Savaari.
Best Time To Visit Cherrapunji from Guwahati
The most suitable time to visit Cherrapunji from Guwahati is during the winter, which prevails from October to February. Although the temperature can be quite chilly sometimes, sunny days with no rain make it an excellent time to visit the double-decker root bridge and caverns. Below is a tabular representation of the year-long weather conditions in Cherrapunji.
|January||16°/ 6°||4 days|
|February||18°/ 8°||2 days|
|March||23°/ 11°||5 days|
|April||24°/ 14°||14 days|
|May||24°/ 16°||28 days|
|June||24°/ 17°||29 days|
|July||23°/ 17°||30 days|
|August||24°/ 17°||30 days|
|September||23°/ 16°||30 days|
|October||23°/ 14°||15 days|
|November||21°/ 12°||3 days|
|December||18°/ 7°||1 days|
Popular Routes from Guwahati to Cherrapunji
Route 1: Guwahati to Cherrapunji via NH6
The approximate distance between Guwahati to Cherrapunji is 146 km, and it is advisable to take the Guwahati to Cherrapunji best route that runs via NH6.
Here’s the basic map from Guwahati to Cherrapunji for this route.
Popular sightseeing attractions along this route
- Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary, Shangbangla: At roughly 40 to 50 mins drive from Guwahati is the famous Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary that you can tour en route after taking a permit from the Forest Range Officer in Nongpho. And once inside this renowned Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary, you will find yourself surrounded by wildflower shrubs, deciduous trees, herbal plants, and wild animals like the Indian Bison, Royal Bengal Tiger, Himalayan Black Bear, Clouded Leopard, and many threatened species.
- Garoghuli Waterfall: A perfect picnic spot near Guwahati, Gharoghuli waterfall is an excellent place to visit if you’re looking for a hilly, verdant area with a small waterfall. Sightseers love spending a day at this place, marvelling at the scenic beauty and boating in the lush surroundings.
Places to eat along this route
- Jiva Veg: A cosy eating joint on the Guwahati to Cherrapuji highway serving lip-smacking regional cuisine.
- Sardarji Da Dhaba: Located near Guwahati in Nongpoh, this restaurant is famous for its Punjabi and Chinese meals.
Guwahati to Cherrapunji Road Condition via Route 1:
This is the shortest and the best route to travel between Guwahati and Cherrapunji. It is also the fastest because the Guwahati to Cherrapunji traffic on this route is regular and there are no road closures. Moreover, for a better commute, always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Guwahati to Cherrapunji road conditions.
Route 2: Guwahati to Cherrapunji via NH6 and SH5
Popular sightseeing attractions along this route
- Jorabat: Jorabat, located roughly 25 km from Guwahati, is a quaint town that offers a delightful natural experience, making for an excellent break for tired travellers. Encompassed by terraced ranches and dense greenery, it soothes your mind and calms your soul. Moreover, if time allows, you can even make a quick detour toward the ancient caves and refreshing waterfalls.
- Sonaighuli Viewpoint: Situated at a short detour from Guwahati, Sonaighuli Viewpoint is famous for Sonaighuli Viewpoint offers the perfect vista of dense forests filled with an abundance of magnificent waterfalls, enveloped by glorious mountains.
Places to eat along this route
- Amarpali Restaurant: A family-friendly restaurant serving mouthwatering delicacies in a delightful ambiance.
- Rudrani Dhaba & Family Restaurant: If you wish to enjoy a wholesome meal along the way, stop at Rudrani Dhaba & Family Restaurant. This place serves a variety of delicious delicacies that will unquestionably add more delight to your roadtrip.
Guwahati to Cherrapunji Best Route
While both the routes above offer exceptional scenic panoramas, it is better to go for Route 1 if you want to reach your destination fast and avoid congestion.
Other means of travelling from Guwahati to Cherrapunji
While Cherrapunji is one of the famous sightseeing places in Northeastern India, it does not have a functional airport. And the closest airport to Cherrapunji is Guwahati which remains well-connected to all prominent cities in India, such as Delhi, Kolkata, and Mumbai. You can also directly book a airport taxi in Guwahati to reach your destination.
Guwahati serves as the closest railway station to Cherrapunji. While the railway station lies roughly 181 km from this area, regular buses and cabs are available at the railway station to help you reach your destination. For updated train timings for Guwahati to Cherrapunji, visit IRCTC and follow their latest timetable.
Popular sightseeing attractions in Cherrapunji
Here are some prominent scenic attractions you can explore in Cherrapunji.
- Jingkieng Nongriat Double Decker Living Root Bridge
Hidden in the lush, green forest in Cherrapunji, the magnificent Jingkieng Nongriat Double Decker Living Root Bridge is the perfect combination of nature and engineering. Also, stretching at an expanse of 3 km at a height of 2400 feet, this rugged bridge is famous for its construction with a rubber tree and a giant size.
- Nohkalikai Waterfalls
The fourth most elevated waterfall in the world, Nohkalikai falls, descends some 335 meters from a lush cliff to the ground, displaying immense and natural grandeur. Moreover, the pride of the Meghalaya state, the Nohkalikai Waterfalls, are one of India’s most captivating and grand waterfalls. And cradled between the evergreen rainforest of the Khasi Hills and flowing with its majesty, this fall is unquestionably a majestic sight when the blue waters become one with the afternoon sky.
Dawki is one of the most picture-perfect locations near Cherrapunji, with a stunning river with crystal-clear waters and surrounding lush greenery. And besides being a prominent trade hub near Cherrapunji, this place is equally famous amongst travellers flocking to the town to enjoy a boat ride in its renowned Umngot River and witness the nearby picturesque attractions.
- Ka Khoh Ramhah
Ka Khoh Ramhah, popular as Pillar Rock, is a massive rock boasting a unique formation that looks like a giant cone. Also, here you can glimpse a fascinating waterfall that runs through the rocks and gives a scenic look, allowing you to enjoy the peaceful sound of the waterfall.
- Nongsawlia Presbyterian Church
History enthusiasts must make a pit stop at the famous Nongsawlia Presbyterian Church. The ancient church is one of the finest places to visit in Cherrapunji, flaunting the area’s unique culture. Moreover, constructed in the 18th century by Welsh Missionaries, it is the oldest and the most popular church in Meghalaya.
Popular places to eat in Cherrapunji
Cherrapunjee accommodates a broad spectrum of food choices, including Bengali, North Indian, Punjabi, South Indian and Chinese delicacies and their distinctive Khasi versions. In addition, the regional cuisine is delicious, refreshing and savoury and would leave you craving more. Jadoh and Pork momos, along with rice steamed with pork blood, are the speciality of this area. Below are some major eating joints in Cherrapunji.
- Chef Cherrapunjee: Famous for Chinese, Indian, and Continental delicacies
- Avron Restaurant: Famous for regional momos and other Chinese dishes
- Halari Restaurant: Famous for Mediterranean and North Indian cuisine
Hotels and Resorts in Cherrapunji
|Polo Orchid Resort Cherrapunjee||Mawsmai-Nongthymmai Sohra, Cherrapunji| Phone No. 087947 01637|
|7 Sisters Falls View Inn Hotel||Nohsngithiang View, Mawblang, Cherrapunji| Phone No. 098625 42945|
|Hala Tyngkong Stay Inn||Surok Mawlynnong, Mawlynnong| Phone No. 089745 35288|
|The Escapade Inn||Sa-i-Mika Rd., Cherrapunji| Phone No. 082598 51468|
Nearby road trips from Cherrapunji
|Cherrapunji to Shillong||53.7Kms||1 hrs 34 mins|
|Cherrapunji to Silliguri||612 Kms||14 hrs 5 mins|
|Cherrapunji to Nongpoh||100 Kms||3 hrs 3 mins|
If monsoons are something that delights you, then a trip from Guwahati to Cherrapunji is a must for you. Here you will get to glimpse the raw and stunning nature in its best glory and make memories for a lifetime.
Download our Savaari car booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.