From beautiful houseboats lining the Dal Lake, tourists in Shikaras, the floating vegetable market, to one of the most beautiful gardens in the world, Srinagar is undeniably heaven on earth.
Why travel from Gulmarg to Srinagar?
Srinagar – Heaven on Earth – is a place that you must visit at least once in your lifetime. Situated on the banks of the Jhelum River, it is a city right out of a beautiful painting. Mesmerizing views, and amazing year-round weather, Srinagar will leave you with memories that you will cherish forever. When you take a road trip from Gulmarg to Srinagar, you can enhance your experience by enjoying everything that lies on the way. With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and also customize the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Traveling from Gulmarg to Srinagar by car
The route from Gulmarg to Srinagar passes through a scenic stretch. Although it’s a short distance, you can experience the change in the vibes, to a slightly urban energy of Srinagar completely nature-soaked. Along the way, you’ll pass through some remote villages and towns of the region, like Narbal, Goom, Dhobiwan, and more. With our completely customizable Gulmarg to Srinagar trip packages, you can stop at any of these places and do a quick sightseeing. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel from Gulmarg to Srinagar by car.
Best Time To Visit
In India, winters are usually the best time to take a road trip. However, in Srinagar, winters can be a little harsh. Hence, the best time to travel would be just before the snow starts falling. Srinagar doesn’t experience a proper monsoon season. However, you can revel in some amazing autumn colors in October. Plan your road trip after checking the state of the roads and the political situation of the region.
Peak: Oct – Mar
Optimal: April – Sept
Avoid: Nov – Feb
Best Route from Gulmarg to Srinagar
This is the shortest, fastest, and the only major route to travel from Gulmarg to Srinagar. It is also the major route, used by most interstate travelers/tourists. The traffic on this route is also minimal, and there are no road closures like other inner roads. There may be tolls on the way. The distance between Srinagar and Gulmarg on this route is somewhere around 50 KM and takes almost an hour and a half. Always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Gulmarg to Srinagar road conditions.
Here’s the basic route map from Gulmarg to Srinagar-
|Gulmarg > Tangmarg > Khamander Pora > Dhobiwan > Magam > Narbal > Srinagar|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Drung Waterfall, Drung – Stop by this small but gorgeous cascade of glacial waters along craggy hills, best seen during winters when the waterfall freezes.
- Chokhar Hill, Chandil Wanigam – Take a detour from Khamander Pora to reach this scenic spot, overlooking mountains, best seen during early snowfall or late winters, good for photo ops.
- Public Park, Batpora – A small but beautiful public garden with rose bushes, topiary, and other exotic flower beds, good for a quick break, or play time for kids.
- Bhat Shahi, Manglora Kuzner – A highway side viewing point overlooking the snow-capped mountains, best seen in spring with purple blooms on the fields, great for photo ops.
- Mirgund Apple Orchard, off Narbal – A local farm with orchards growing apples, peaches, pears, and other seasonal fruits, offers tours and fresh fruit samples, good for a day tour.
Places to eat along this route:
- Parsa’s, Tangmarg – National chain restaurant serving authentic Kashmiri food, good for groups, families, kid-friendly.
- Gulfam Fast Food and Restaurant, Kunzer – Locally popular restaurant serving fast food, meals, and farm fresh fruits, good for groups, families.
- Falcon Fast Food and Restaurant, Magam – Casual family restaurant serving vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes, quick meals, good for groups, kid-friendly.
- Buffet Café and Restaurant, Narbal Domail – Casual diner serving café menu, fast food, beverages, good for quick stops, late nights.
- Baghdadi Restaurant, off Srinagar city limits – Restaurant with in-house confectionery, serving meals, fast foods, desserts, and more, good for families, groups, kid-friendly.
Gulmarg to Srinagar Condition via route 1:
This is the shortest and fastest route to travel from Gulmarg to Srinagar and is used by most travelers. This route may have standard highway tolls and the road conditions are good since there are no road closures as of June 2022.
Gulmarg to Srinagar Best Route:
Since this is the only highway route to travel from Gulmarg to Srinagar that is used by most travelers/interstate drivers/commuters, this is also considered to be the best route. While there may be other service roads and inner roads that connect these two destinations, it is better to avoid unknown roads in hilly areas.
Other means of traveling from Gulmarg to Srinagar
There is no railway station in Gulmarg. The nearest station to Gulmarg is in Jammu, about 290 KM away. So, the only way to travel from Gulmarg to Srinagar is by road. However, there are frequent trains to Jammu from other parts of the state and other major towns and cities across India. For all your Jammu train bookings, you can visit the website of Indian Railways, and check for the most updated train timings and fares.
The nearest airport is in Srinagar at Srinagar International Airport (SXR), about 58KM away from Gulmarg. However, there is no flight service in Gulmarg. There are plenty of regular flights available to Srinagar from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, and other major cities and towns in India. Hence, from Gulmarg, the only way to travel to Srinagar is to book a cab or rent an outstation car and do a quick road trip.
Attractions in Srinagar for Sightseeing
- Dal Lake – The jewel of Srinagar offering some amazing views
- Mughal Gardens – A combination of Shalimar Gardens, Nishat Bagh, and Chashm-e-Shahi, these gardens are a must-see for all travelers.
- Shikara Ride – Don’t miss the shikara ride across the Dal Lake
- Hazratbal Shrine – This shrine houses an heir of the prophet Muhammad, a relic titled Moi-e-Muqqadas.
- Wular Lake – India’s largest freshwater lake and the best spot for bird watching.
- Baramulla – for its untouched beauty
- Yusmarg – an under-explored hill station in Jammu & Kashmir
Places to Eat in Srinagar
- Roadside bakeries at Lal Chowk and Dal Gate for tsot (a small round bread with poppy seeds), sheermal, baqerkhani, lavas, and kulcha. You can wash this down with salted tea called sheer or noon chai.
- Ahdoos and Mughal Durbar on Shervani Road & Bismillah Restaurant on Jawahar Road for Kosher Tamoul with gogji razmah, roghni chamman, nadir-haaq, dum aloo, Haak saag, etc. Also, try the sweetish Kashmiri pulao, laced with dry fruits, along with walnut chutney.
- Snack places around the Dal Lake for Lotus stems, peas, and potatoes deep fried in gram flour with kahwa.
- Food Gali at Lal Chowk and Shamyana Restaurant at Dal Gate for Wazwan – an elaborate meal of 36 dishes.
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Srinagar
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Vivanta Dal View||Kralsangri, Brein, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 191121||0194 246 1111|
|The Orchard Retreat & Spa||Pathan Colony, zakura, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190006||096223 33330|
|The LaLiT Grand Palace||Gupkar Rd, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190001||0194 250 1001|
|Radisson Srinagar||11, MA Road, Kashmir Golf Course, Nohata, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190001||0194 248 4000|
|Helen Of Troy Houseboat||Dal Lake, Nehru Park, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir 190001||094694 01928|