Pune is one of the most popular cities in India situated at the confluence of Mula and Mutha Rivers. Often referred to as the Oxford of the East, Pune is a city that perfectly blends modernity and traditions. As the second-largest city in Maharashtra, Pune is rapidly growing into one of the top metropolitan cities in the country with multifarious people residing in it.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Goa to Pune?
- Traveling from Goa to Pune
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- Attractions in Pune for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Pune
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Pune
Why Travel from Goa to Pune?
Pune has some amazing historical places where you can revel at the architectural gems left behind by time, lip-smacking food, buzzing nightlife, and easy access to some amazing places like Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar, Panchgani, etc. Use this ready-made guide from Savaari when you take a road trip from Goa to Pune for a wholesome road trip experience.
Traveling from Goa to Pune by Car
The distance between Goa to Pune is approximately 500 km and therefore can be covered in a day, including a couple of stops for lunch and refreshments. By taking a road trip from Goa to Pune, one not only gets to plan their journey, but a road trip makes it possible to explore everything interesting en route. It is fun, interesting and also quite flexible given you have the space to plan your travel accordingly.
Also, one gets to every nook and corner, experience every detail of the local culture and take detours according to one’s convenience and travel plans. This flexibility is often limited when choosing the other two options, which is flight and train.
Therefore, experience the joy of being on the road by booking a cab with Savaari, and let our expert chauffeurs take you around like tour guides aka travel experts so you take home only the best experience. Thus, experience the joy of being on the road by booking a cab from Savaari.
Best time to take a road trip by car
For Goa to Pune road trip, the months from July to February would be the best time to take a road trip. Pune weather remains cool and pleasant. It is best to avoid the torrid weather during the summer months that usually lasts from March till the end of June.
Route 1: Goa to Pune Via NH 48
Goa to Pune Distance Via NH 48
The route covers a distance of 440 km within 9.8 hours and the road condition is good. This route is preferred by most travellers and passes through beautiful cities like Belgaum and Kolhapur.
|Goa — Belgaum — Nipani — Kolhapur — Uran Islampur — Satara — Khandala — Pune|
Popular Places along the way:
- Gokak Falls – Located on the Ghataprabha River, this is one of the most scenic places to visit in Belgaum. After traveling a meandering course, the river plunges down from an impressive altitude of 171 ft, amid sandstone cliffs and lush green mountains to form Gokak Falls. There is a hanging bridge over the waterfall which helps one enjoy stunning views of the cascading stream. Besides admiring the beauty of the waterfall and its surroundings, one can also visit age-old Lord Mahalingeshwara temple, located nearby.
- Siddhagiri Gramjivan Wax Museum – Siddhagiri Gramjivan Wax Museum is situated in Kaneri, Kolhapur. The museum is housed within the Shri Kshetra Siddhagiri Math which also has a Shiva Temple. The museum depicts rural village life with the help of wax and cement statues. Sprawling over 7 acres, the repository is surrounded by lush greenery and countryside locales.
- Kopeshwar Temple – Located in Khidrapur in Kolhapur district at the junction of Maharashtra and Karnataka, Kopeshwar Temple is built on the banks of River Krishna. The shrine has a beautiful architecture with various intricate carvings on the interior as well as the exterior walls. Besides, it also has majestic idols of Lord Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma among others.
- Chalkewadi Windmill Farm – At a distance of 29 km from Satara, Chalkewadi Windmill Farm is one of the largest windmill farms in Asia. Set amidst lush green hills, valleys and the red soil these windmills surely make a beautiful sight. This is another place that is best visited during the monsoon since the misty weather makes Chalkewadi windmill farm a very picturesque place.
- Chinaman’s Falls – Witness the tantalizing descend of the Chinaman’s fall, which is one of the most beautiful falls in the state.
Places to eat on this route:
- Shri Ram Vada Pav Centre, Shinewadi – The best part about this highway restaurant is that it is open 24*7. Stop here for a plate of Pav Bhaji. You would certainly not regret it.
- Subhan Mangal Family Restaurant, Shirwal – A great place to stop for a wholesome meal. They serve both vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian dishes. Their Chicken Thalis are quite a hit among travelers.
- Kailash Bhel Centre, Satara – This is one of the most crowded snack points on the highway. You can stop here for a short snack break.
Route 2: Goa to Pune Via NH 48 and Pune – Solapur
Goa to Pune Distance Via via NH 48 and Pune – Solapur Rd/Solapur – Pune Hwy
The route covers a distance of 581 km within 11 hours 56 minutes and the road condition is good. This route is preferred as a good alternative that crosses the quaint views and places like Bhigwan and Kurkumbh.
|Goa — Belagavi — Nipani — Kolhapur — Uran Islampur — Dahiwadi — Kurkumbh — Yavat — Pune|
- Bhimgad Wildlife Sanctuary – Listed as a wildlife sanctuary in December 2011, the area is quite famous for Barapede Caves, the only breeding area of Wroughton’s free-tailed bat. The sanctuary is situated in the Belgaum district of Karnataka and is also a habitat of subtropical moist broadleaf and tropical forests. Its woodlands and grasslands offer an ideal location to spot animals such as the Gaur, Sloth bear, spotted deer, wild dogs, Leopard and Fox.
- Rajhansgad Yellur Fort, Belgaum – This is one of the most impressive historical places to visit in Belgaum, Karnataka. Archaeological sources reveal that this fort was ruled by many royal clans of India – the Marathas, Peshwas, Hoysalas, Bahamanis to name a few. Perched high on a hill, one can enjoy trekking up to the fort and admire the spectacular views of the lush green surrounding. Moreover, there is a sweet water well and an ancient Shiva temple located at the hilltop.
- Bhigwan Bird Sanctuary – Located on the border of Pune and Solapur district, Bhigwan Bird Sanctuary is a perfect destination for bird watching and is home to a number of migratory birds during the winter season, especially flamingo.
- Bhuleshwar Shiva Temple, Yawat – This beautiful Shiva temple is situated on a hilltop and was built in the 13th Century. The temple has been declared a protected monument and you would know why. The unmatched architecture of the temple makes this place worth a visit.
Places to eat along the way:
- Laxmi Hotel, Belgaum – If you are looking for a place to eat in Belgaum, then this multi-cuisine restaurant is surely your savior.
- Hotel Shree, Bhadalwadi – If you are looking for vegetarian food, then stop here for a wholesome meal of vegetarian South Indian dishes.
- Jai Bhavani Special Fish Hotel, Madanwadi – If you are looking for authentic chipali fish thali, then this is the place to be. Not a fancy place to eat, but their food is worth stopping for.
- Shivaji Bhojanalay, Kurkumbh – Stop here for a wholesome meal. Do try their chicken and mutton fry.
- Shivneri Missal Center, Loni Kalbhor – Your one-stop for all amazing breakfast dishes. This place serves awesome missal along with great coffee and tea. No better way to start an epic road trip.
Goa to Pune Best Route
While you can take any of the two routes, we recommend Route 1 Via NH 48. The road conditions are excellent and the time taken is less. However, it is advisable to check live traffic updates before leaving for your trip.
Explore Pune Like a Local: A Handy Guide
The Queen of the Deccan, Pune is the cultural capital of the Marathas and is rich in heritage. It is a shining example of New India which has restored its heritage and embraced modernization to make life better. The weather in Pune is typically tropical with average temperatures ranging between 20 and 28 degrees around the year.
Pune will never cease to amaze you. Every turn reveals a historic structure steeped in history. And, the locals love their history in this interesting town. It is also known as the Education Capital of Maharashtra due to numerous educational institutes in the city. This gives the place a young and energetic vibe too. Here are some tips and suggestions to help you make the most of your trip to Pune.
Attractions in Pune for Sightseeing
Here are some places in Pune that you must consider visiting:
- Sinhagad Fort for a quick trek
- The largest mall in Pune – the Phoenix Market City
- The National Defense Academy Campus
- ISKCON NVCC Temple
- Sri Balaji Mandir
- Okayama Friendship garden built on the Japanese Garden theme
- Dagadusheth Halwai Ganapati Temple
- Laxmi Road for endless shopping
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Pune
Punekars love their food. This is evident by the range of options available across the city. Here are some food items and the best places to eat them in Pune:
- JJ Garden, Camp – Wada Pav
- Bedekar, Narayan Peth – Misal Pav
- Goodluck Café, Deccan Gymkhana – Kheema Pav
- Baked & Wired, Kalyani Nagar – Cheesy Deep Dish Pizza
- Diamond Bakery, Fatima Nagar – Lemon Tarts
- Kapila, Dhole Patil Road – Kathi Rolls
- Marzorin, Camp – Chutney Sandwich
- Maasa, Mundhwa – Chicken special thali
- Chitale Bandhu, Deccan Gymkhana – Bhakarvadi
- Budhani, Camp – Wafers
- Manna Magic Dosa, Pimpri-Chinchwad – 85 varieties of Dosas
- Café Laileena, Kondhwa – Yemeni cuisine
- Amruteshwar, Erandwane – Midnight snacks
- The Place, Camp – Sizzlers
- Sharma Ice Cream Parlor, Pimpri-Chinchwad – Guava Ice Cream with Chilli Powder
- Paratha House, J.M. Road – Bahubali Thali
Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Pune
|The Ritz-Carlton|| Golf Course Square, Airport Road, Yerwada,|
411006 Pune, India
|Conrad Pune by Hilton|| 7, Mangaldas Road, Koregaon Park, 411001 |
|Vivanta Pune|| Xion Complex, Wakad Road, 411057 |
|Fort Jadhavgadh Pune|| Hadapsar – Saswad – Jejuri Rd, Jadhavwadi, |
|Hotel Sunderban Pune|| 19, Koregaon Park Next to Osho International |
Commune, Maharashtra 411001
Download our Savaari car rental app for a smooth and pleasant journey.