The holy town is not only one of the oldest and the most popular Hindu pilgrimage destination, but also a mystical land that embodies art, culture, history, and spirituality. If there is any deep divine energy at its core that defines the city’s vibe, there is also a subtle undertone of vibrant artistry, which reflects in its temples and historical monuments and is worth exploring.
Table of Contents
Why Travel from Delhi to Varanasi?
Varanasi is well-connected to Delhi via rail, road, and flights. The best way to take a wholesome tour of Varanasi is by embarking on a road trip from Delhi. When you book a cab with Savaari, you can enjoy a comfortable ride and even customize your trip according to your convenience. You would also have the flexibility to make pitstops along the way which certainly contribute to enhancing the whole road trip experience.
Traveling from Delhi to Varanasi by Car
A trip from Delhi to Varanasi by car is the best way to cover the distance between these two cities. Our Delhi to Varanasi trip packages can help you embark on an interesting journey, taking you through the historic towns and cities along the way, and at the same time ensuring the flexibility to make stopovers wherever you want. Let us help you discover the best routes for an ultimate Delhi to Varanasi trip by road.
Best time to Take a Road trip from Delhi to Varanasi by Car
February to April is the ideal time to travel to Varanasi by road, when the weather is pleasant, with temperatures neither too high nor too low. The distance between Delhi and Varanasi is approximately 821-877 KM, which varies on the route you take. It should ideally take 13 to 16hours to cover this distance, but it again varies on the route you take.
Some of the best routes which can help you reach Varanasi from Delhi and at the same time explore some popular places along the way are:
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Delhi to Varanasi Via NH 19
Delhi to Varanasi Distance Via NH 19
The route covers a distance of 821 km within 13 hours and the road condition is excellent. This route is preferred by most travellers and passes through beautiful cities like Agra and Allahabad.
Delhi to Varanasi Road Conditions Via NH 19
This is the shortest, fastest, and most recommended route to travel from Delhi to Varanasi. Most tourists and regular travellers use this route since the Delhi to Varanasi traffic is also not heavy on this highway. Here’s a basic road map for this route –
|Delhi — Agra — Kanpur — Allahabad — Varanasi|
Popular Places Along the Way:
- Vrindavan – Take a tour of the holy land, and childhood place of Lord Krishna and visit some significant sites like ISKCON Temple, Banke Bihari Temple, or the temple dedicated to Meerabai, Krishna’s biggest devotee.
- Mathura – Explore the birthplace of Krishna at Shri Krishna Janmabhoomi, or the Dwarkadheesh Temple. Also visit Kans Qila, a riverside fort with relics.
- Agra – You can take a detour to visit the iconic Taj Mahal or the Agra Fort, particularly around sunset, for stunning views.
- Kanpur – The town is famous for its leather products and delectable food. Drive down the local bazaars and sample the sumptuous food.
- Allahabad – The holy town on the banks of the River Ganga is famous for the confluence of Ganga, Yamuna, and Saraswati Rivers. You can also visit the Allahabad Fort.
Places to eat on Delhi – Varanasi road
- Rao Dhaba (locally called Old Rao) – off NH 48 in Gurgaon famous for thalis.
- Dawat Restaurant, Mathura – known for local fare
- Raj Sweets & Restaurant, off NH 19, Fatehpur – popular local eatery, famous for confections and quick meals.
- Desi Chaupal, Kamasin, near Allahabad – 24-hour highway side dhaba, popular among travelers.
Route 2: Distance and Time taken from Delhi to Varanasi Via NH 30
Delhi to Varanasi Distance Via NH 30
The route covers a distance of 821 km within 13 hours 15 minutes and the road condition is good. This route is preferred as a good alternative that crosses the quaint views and places like Lucknow and Bareilly.
Delhi to Varanasi Road Condition Via NH 30
This is the alternative route to travel from Delhi to Varanasi. But this is a slightly longer road. However, there are more sightseeing options on this route. Here’s a basic Delhi to Varanasi road map for this route:
|Delhi — Bareilly — Lucknow — Allahabad — Varanasi|
Popular places to visit on this route –
- Bareilly – You can visit the ancient temple of Trivatinath Mandir, dedicated to Shiva and characterized a huge stone statue of his bull (Nandi).
- Lucknow – You can drive through the old parts of the town and admire the awe-inspiring Mughal architecture of Roomi Darwaza, Sikandar Bagh, or the clock tower.
- Allahabad – Visit the confluence of the Ganga, Yamuna, and Saraswati River or stop by the historical Allahabad Fort.
Places to eat on Delhi to Varanasi road
- Apni Haveli, off NH 30, Moradabad – popular local eatery with outdoor seating and 24-hour services.
- Pind Baluchi, Lucknow – village themed restaurant within a mall, good for family and children.
- Batohi Sweets & Restaurant, Lucknow-Allahabad Road – famous for local confections and snacks.
Delhi to Varanasi Best Route
While you can take any of the two routes, we recommend Route 1 Via NH 19. The road conditions are excellent and the time taken is less. However, it is advisable to check live traffic updates before leaving for your trip.
Other means of travelling from Delhi to Varanasi
How to Reach Varanasi by Train
You can also travel from Delhi to Varanasi by train. There are a total of 80 trains that run between these cities weekly, of which 12 trains run on a daily basis. For Delhi to Varanasi train bookings, you can visit the Indian Railways website or any other online travel portal for the best deals. The fastest train is SWATANTRTA S EXP (12562). It can take 11 to 17 hours to travel from Delhi to Varanasi by Rail. For updated Delhi to Varanasi train timings, visit IRCTC website and check with their latest timetables.
How to Reach Varanasi by Flight
There are numerous flights available daily from Delhi to Varanasi. The nearest airport is Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport (VNS). It takes 1.5 to 2 hours to travel from Delhi to Varanasi by flight. For your Delhi to Varanasi flight booking, you can easily visit any airline website or get the best deals from the online travel portals.
Explore Varanasi Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Varanasi tourism reflects a fascinating collage of spirituality, religions, art, culture, history, and communities. From its divine temples and their surroundings to the eclectic quarters of free souls and saints, Varanasi sightseeing is a delight to the mind, body, and soul, and offers something to everyone. The temple of Kashi Vishwanath is not the only Varanasi tourist place. The holy town also boasts a series of riverside promenades bustling with pilgrims and religious rituals, which are worth witnessing.
Attractions in Varanasi for Sightseeing
Some of the must-visit sites in Varanasi are the Kashi Vishwanath Temple, which is a major landmark, Dashashwamed Ghat, Manikarnika Ghat, Buddhist stupas and monasteries at Sarnath and Dhamek Stupa. The historic Ramnagar Fort with its museum and armoury is also an interesting place to visit.
Things to keep in mind when touring Varanasi
- Temples and religious places require visitors to dress appropriately.
- Avoid taking a complete dip in the Ganges, mostly for hygiene reasons, and sometimes, the currents can be too high.
- If travelling in summer, avoid sightseeing when the sun is at its peak.
- Most parts of the old town are narrow and inaccessible to vehicles, so be prepared to walk and wear comfortable shoes.
- Many traditional shops still deal in cash, and may not accept e-wallets or cards, so keep lose cash handy.
Hotels and resorts – accommodation in Varanasi
|Radisson Hotel||RH Tower, Cantonment Road, The Mall Rd, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221002 PH: 0542 250 1515|
|Ramada Plaza JHV||The Mall Rd, Varanasi Cantt, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221002 PH: 0542 251 0000|
|Brij Rama Palace||Near Munshi Ghat Over Darbhanga House Ghat, Bangali Tola, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221001 PH: 091294 14141|
|The Clarks||The Mall Rd, Cantonment, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh 221002 PH: 0542 250 1011|
Download our Savaari car rental app for a smooth and pleasant journey.