As the capital city of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla is one of the oldest and the most popular hill stations in Northern India. With stunning views of the Himalayan peaks, alpine forests, and an undeniable colonial charm; Shimla is truly the Queen of the Himalayas. Like the destination, the journey to Shimla is also magical and equally interesting when taking a road trip from Delhi. When you book a cab with Savaari, you can turn your ride into an experiential journey by customizing the trip to your liking and enjoying interesting pit stops en route.
Traveling from Delhi to Shimla by Car
A Shimla trip from Delhi by car is the best way to travel and experience the journey. With our Delhi to Shimla trip packages, you can make it an exciting journey. On your Shimla trip from Delhi, you will pass through the villages of Haryana and Punjab, and hilly locales of Himachal.
Thus, experience the joy of being on the road by booking a cab from Savaari. Let us help you discover the best way for a memorable and fulfilling Delhi to Shimla trip by road.
Best time to Take a Road trip from Delhi to Shimla by Car
The best time to travel to Shimla from Delhi is between March and June when the temperatures are perfect for long journeys and nature is also in full bloom in the hills. However, if you like to experience the winter chills, you can travel during the holiday season (December and January). The Delhi to Shimla by car distance is roughly 342 km. If traveling in winter, snowfall in some parts of Himachal can impact Delhi to Shimla traveling time. Take the following Delhi to Shimla road route for the best travel experience.
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Delhi to Shimla via NH 44 & NH 5
This is the best and the only tried and tested highway route to cover the Delhi to Shimla distance. You will find very light Delhi to Shimla road traffic on this route, except when there are sudden closures for roadwork. Hence, before you travel, always check for live traffic updates or real-time maps to get a better idea of the Delhi to Shimla road condition.
Here’s a basic Delhi to Shimla road map for this route:
|Delhi — Panipat — Karnal — Kurukshetra — Ambala — Chandigarh — Kalka — Solan — Shimla|
Vital Statistics – Distance, Time & Highway Quality
Popular Places Along the Way
- Panipat – Take a tour of the historic battlefield of Panipat and its associated memorial and museum/
- Kurukshetra – You can visit the tranquil Brahma Sarovar and sites from Mahabharat.
- Chandigarh – If you have time, you can take a quick tour of the most planned and beautiful city of India and see its iconic monuments.
- Kalka – The Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary is another popular place to visit and explore the local avifauna and other wildlife.
- Famous for Kalka-Shimla single-gauge railway and Sukhna Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Parwanoo – Known for fruit farming, Parwanoo is lined with orchards, where you can stop by for fresh fruits and fruit-based goodies.
- Kasauli – The Gilbert Trail is a famous nature trail for walks and watching the sunset on the hills.
Places to eat on Delhi to Shimla road
- Haveli, Murthal, Haryana – landmark highway side family restaurant and food complex with themed setting and plush interior which explains why it’s always busy.
- Amrik Sukhdev, Sonipat, Haryana – popular and busy highway side eatery with multi-cuisine buffet and a la carte options, good for families and large groups.
- Pooran Singh Da Dhaba, Ambala Cantt., Ambala – family-owned old dhaba famous for home-style lunches.
- Stop by the famous ‘Chana Kulcha’ vendor in Kandaghat, if crossing around evening.
Delhi to Shimla toll charges: Rs. 280 (one way)
Other means of travelling from Delhi to Shimla
You can also cover the Delhi to Shimla distance by train. However, there are no direct trains from Delhi to Shimla. You can take an express train from Delhi to Kalka and from Kalka, you can take the singe-gauge trains. For Delhi to Shimla train booking, you can visit the website of Indian Railways or any online travel portal for the best deals. The Delhi to Shimla train fare will depend on the train route you choose and the season of travel. The train time from Delhi to Shimla can range from 10 hours to 23 hours, depending on the train.
There are 17 weekly trains between Delhi and Kalka, of which, 7 run on a daily basis. From Kalka, there are about 5 trains that go to Shimla daily. The fastest train from Delhi to Kalka is KALKA SHATABDI SUPERFAST EXP (12011). For updated Delhi to Shimla train timings, visit IRCTC and check the latest timetables.
There are many Delhi to Shimla flights available daily. The nearest airport in Shimla Aiport (SLV). The average Delhi to Shimla flight duration is 1 to 2 hours, depending on the airline route. For your Delhi to Shimla flight booking, visit any airline website or online travel portals for the best deals. The Delhi to Shimla flight cost can range from 1500 to 5000, depending on the booking window, available deals, and travel season.
Explore Shimla Like a Local: A Handy Guide
The bustling Himalayan town of Shimla is the perfect order among chaos, albeit with breathtaking views of mountains and valleys. From the golden sunshine in the summers to the charming, white wonderland of the winters, every season paints a different picture. One can spend an entire week exploring the city but Shimla is not just about the Mall Road or sitting at the Ridge. For a perfect Shimla tour, you have to explore beyond the city and head into the quaint villages and hilly hamlets that dot this region. Make the most of your Shimla trip with our tips and suggestions.
Attractions in Shimla for Sightseeing
Some of the most popular and prominent places for Shimla sightseeing are Jakhoo Temple, Kali Bari Temple, Christ Church, The Ridge, and Himachal State Museum.
You can also visit the meadows of Annandale which also houses a golf course and offers scenic mountain views. Shimla tourism also offers scenic treks to Chadwick Falls and Summer Hills near the town.
Things to keep in mind when touring Shimla
- If you are traveling in winter, carry ample warm clothes, since nighttime temperatures can drop dramatically.
- For trekking expeditions, it is better to sign up with a local trek/adventure group or get a guide who can take you around.
- If you are doing day trips around the town you can also leave early and use the maximum daylight hours.
- Also, do a tour of Naldehra for the ultimate mountain holiday experience.
- If you are traveling in summer, then do visit the Shimla Reserve Forest Sanctuary and experience Himalayan wildlife.
Places to Eat in Shimla
- Sita Ram and Sons, Lakkad Market
- Café Shimla Times, Hotel Willow Banks,
- Cecil Restaurant, The Mall, Mall Road.
- Himachali Rasoi, Middle Bazar, Mall Road.
- Café Sol, Mall Road.
- Ashiana Grand, Ridge, Mall Road.
- Hideout Café, Adjacent to the fire station, The Mall.
- Eighteen 71 Cookhouse & Bar, Near Tourism Lift Hotel Willow Banks.
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Shimla
|Shimla Havens Resort||Village – Gahan, Gahan Road, Post, Summer Hill, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh 171005.PH:098160 91066|
|The Chalet’s Naldehra||Shimla – Tatapani – Mandi Road, Durgapur, Shimla, Naldehra, Himachal Pradesh 171007. PH:0177 274 7715|
|Woodsmoke Resort & Spa||Village Anandpur, P.O, Shoghi, Himachal Pradesh 171219. PH:098168 98166|
|Woodville Palace Hotel||Raj Bhawan, Road, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh 171002. PH:0177 262 3919|
|Koti Resorts||Sadhora,Baldeyan, Mashobra-Naldehra Road, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh 171007. PH:092185 01601|