Often dubbed as the Yoga Capital of the World and the hottest white river rafting site in India, Rishikesh offers an array of activities which engage the spirituality as well as adventure seekers alike. With a footfall of millions of domestic as well as international visitors every year, the pilgrimage town of Rishikesh is one of the most popular tourist destinations in northern India.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Delhi to Rishikesh?
- Traveling from Delhi to Rishikesh?
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- How to Reach Rishikesh By Train
- How to Reach Rishikesh By Flight
- Attractions in Rishikesh for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Rishikesh
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Rishikesh
Why travel from Delhi to Rishikesh?
If you are planning a trip to Rishikesh, why not make your journey as memorable as the destination? Book a cab from Delhi to Rishikesh and enjoy a scenic road trip – make some quick stops at the lesser known attractions enroute and enjoy the local cuisine at highway dhabas and eateries.
Travelling from Delhi to Rishikesh by car
The optimum distance from Delhi to Risihikesh by car, coupled with the excellent road conditions, makes traveling by road the most preferred choice of commute. The highway between the two cities passes through the interesting locales of Meerut, Muzaffarnagar as well as the holy city of Haridwar. Enjoy the scenic transition as you ride away from the jammed streets and skyline of Delhi towards the pristine hills of Rishikesh.
Book our Delhi to Rishikesh trip packages and make the most of your road trip to Rishikesh with ample detours and sightseeing. You can also directly book a car from Delhi to reach Rishikesh
Important Highway Information about Delhi to Rishikesh
|Highway Name||Delhi to Rishikesh Highway|
|Alternate Name||National Highway 334|
|Highway Number||NH – 334|
Best time to take a road trip from Delhi to Rishikesh by car
Due to its location in the Himalayan foothills, Rishikesh experiences a continental climate with pleasant weather. The temperature does not exceed 35°C in summers or drop below 8°C in winters making the weather ideal for exploration throughout the year.
Depending on the type of vacation and the activities you want to undertake, you can visit Rishikesh during either of its two high seasons – late September to November is considered the best time to visit Rishikesh if you are interested in river rafting and other adventure sports. A lot of tourists also visit the town between February and April to take a relaxed vacation with family or friends. The weather is pleasant and conducive to take a laid back road trip. The rainy months of July and August (the Savan festival) is the religious tourism season in Rishikesh. Most of the hotels and roads are jam packed and the city is too crowded to enjoy its various offerings.
Quick Facts about Delhi to Rishikesh
|Road Distance from Delhi to Rishikesh||233 kms|
|Aerial Distance from Delhi to Rishikesh||193 kms|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Rishikesh by Road||4 hours and 52 minutes|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Rishikesh by Train||4 hours and 10 minutes|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Rishikesh by Flight||45 minutes|
|Best Routes||Delhi to Mussoorie Via NH334|
|Delhi to Mussoorie via NH9|
|Best time to visit||September to November and February to April|
Route 1: Delhi to Rishikesh via NH 334
Delhi to Rishikesh distance Via NH 334
This is the shortest route from Delhi to Rishikesh covering a distance of 235 km which takes approximately 6 hours. The road is in good shape and the picturesque surroundings make for a scenic road trip. If you start your journey early morning, you can stop at the Punjabi dhabas in Meerut for a soul-satisfying breakfast of butter drenched parathas and ice lassi.
Delhi to Rishikesh Road Condition Via NH 334
Along this route, you can most probably expect tolls and regular Delhi to Rishikesh traffic, but certainly no severe congestion. Hence, we recommend you check for live traffic updates and follow real-time maps to get a better idea of road conditions.
Here’s a basic Delhi to Rishikesh road map for this route:
|Delhi — Meerut — Muzaffarnagar — Roorkee — Haridwar — Rishikesh|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Chhota Haridwar, Muradnagar: Situated on the banks of Ganganahar, Chhota Haridwar is built like the holy city of Haridwar. With ghats constructed on either side of the Gang Canal, this place has gained popularity as an elegant picnic spot. Spend some time here for its pristine surroundings.
- Augarnath Temple, Meerut: The temple not only holds religious significance but is also an important site in Indian history. It is said to be the place where the first revolt of Indian independence took place in 1857. Do visit the memorial here which was built to honor the martyrs of Indian independence.
- Vahelna, Muzaffarnagar: Stop by this quaint village near Muzaffarnagar to witness the huge, 31 feet high statue of Lord Parshvanatha. Mesmerise at awe-inspiring structure while enjoying the lush green surroundings in the temple complex.
- Solani Aqueduct and Reservoir, Roorkee: Before you head to the city of Haridwar, make your last stop at the scenic town of Roorkee. A quick detour to the huge Solani Reservoir will certainly be a refreshing respite from your long journey.
Places to eat along this route:
- Jain Shikanji, Modinagar: Take a small beverage break at the famous Jain Shikanji in Modinagar. Engulp a glass of their Indian-style, masala lemonade – a perfect appetizer for your piping-hot paratha break in Meerut.
- Papaji Daal Wale, Meerut: You can satiate your hunger at one of the numerous paratha joints in Meerut. Alternatively, you can savour the famous chane ki daal at Papaji Daal Wale which is cooked overnight to give it its unique rich taste.
- Pandit Ji Poori Wale, Haridwar: This family-friendly restaurant in Haridwar specializes in the mouth-watering pooris.
Route 2: Delhi to Rishikesh via NH 9
Delhi to Rishikesh distance Via NH 9
This is a slightly longer route to cover and is approximately 295KM. It may take up to 7 hours if you take this route to Rishikesh via Hapur and Chandpur.
Delhi to Rishikesh Road Condition Via NH 9
While there is no severe congestion, you could expect a little traffic during weekends or holidays, or during any roadwork. Therefore, no matter which route you take, always check for traffic updates and follow live maps. Here’s a basic Delhi to Rishikesh road map for this route:
|Delhi — Hapur — Chandpur — Najibabad — Haridwar — Rishikesh|
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Garhmukteshwar, Hapur: If you are a history buff, visit this religious site nestled on the banks of Ganges. Its origin dates back to thousands of years ago when India was ruled by the Hastinapur kingdom. Visit the divine Mukteshwar Mahadev Temple and Vedant Mandir which are believed to be wish-fulfilling sites amongst the locals.
- Sultana Daku Ka Qila, Najibabad: Abandoned and ruined, this fort in Najibabad is now used by local children as a cricket ground. However, it has a fascinating backstory of the notorious Sultana Daku who notified the king before robbing and invading the fort.
- Haridwar: Before heading to Rishikesh, make sure you spend some time exploring the pilgrimage city of Haridwar. Visit Har Ki Pauri, Subhash Ghat and if time permits, attend the evening Ganga Aarti. You may also take a quick detour to Moti Bazar for souvenir shopping.
Places to eat along this route:
- ShreeRathnam Restaurant, Hapur: ShreeRathnam serves delicious South Indian food. The vibe and ambience of the place is excellent for families.
- Panchwati Rasoi, Chandpur: Stop here for quick bites such as pizzas, noodles and burgers.
- Raghuwanshi Gujarati Bhojnalay, Haridwar: Savour the authentic Gujarati cuisine here by ordering their sumptuous maharaja thali.
Delhi to Rishikesh Best Route
While you can take any of the two routes, we recommend Route 1 Via NH 334. The road conditions are excellent and the time taken is less. However, it is advisable to check live traffic updates before leaving for your trip.
Other means of traveling from Delhi to Rishikesh
How to Reach Rishikesh By Train
You can also cover the Delhi to Rishikesh distance by train. There are about 6 trains between these cities which ply everyday. The average distance while travelling from Delhi to Rishikesh by train is 243 km which takes about 6.5 hours for the journey. Visit Indian Railways website to obtain latest information about New Delhi to Rishikesh train ticket price and bookings or choose your options from the multiple online portals.
The fastest train from New Delhi to Rishikesh is KOTA DDN SPL (02401) which takes 4 hours and 10 minutes. For the real-time Delhi to Rishikesh Shatabdi train timings, check with IRCTC for their latest timetables.
|19609 – Udz Ynrk Express||3:20 AM||9:28 AM||6 hour and 3 minutes|
|19031 – Yoga Express||5:05 PM||12:25 PM||7 hour and 20 minutes|
|22659 – Kcvl Ynrk Express||6:40 AM||1:40 PM||7 hour and 40 minutes|
|18477 – Utkal Express||1:20 PM||9:02 PM||7 hours and 42 minutes|
How to Reach Rishikesh By Flight
The city of Rishikesh does not have an airport. The nearest one is Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport which is about 35 km from Rishikesh. After your flight, you can book a hassle-free Dehradun Airport to Rishikesh taxi and reach your destination in 40 minutes.
You can make your Delhi to Rishikesh flight booking from any of the airline websites or also through the various travel portals available online for the best deals. Delhi to Rishikesh flight can cost you INR 2500 on an average and may vary depending on the booking window, available deals, and the travel season.
You also book a flight to the capital city and then cover the Delhi airport to Rishikesh distance by bus or cabs. You can also take a Delhi to Rishikesh Volvo. For booking and a detailed Delhi to Rishikesh bus ticket price, visit any online booking operator.
Explore Rishikesh Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Rishikesh is a beautiful blend of the traditional and the contemporary. This pilgrimage town interests yoga enthusiasts, adventure junkies, spiritual souls, as well as photographers alike for its diverse range of offerings. For a holistic Rishikesh tour based on your interests, let us direct you to the must-visit places and help you plan your itinerary. Furthermore, with our tips and suggestions, you can make the most of your Rishikesh trip. You can always book a tempo traveller in Delhi in case you are travelling in a large group.
Attractions in Rishikesh for Sightseeing
Located on the foothills of the mighty Garhwal Himalayas, the holy city of Rishikesh is extremely picturesque. It is a popular religious attraction for Hindus and home to various architectural marvels, scenic waterfalls, lush green forests, yoga ashrams and grand temples, most notably the Neelkantha Mahadeva Temple, Bharat Mandir, Kunjapuri Devi Temple and the magnificent Trimbakeshwar Temple.
For adventure junkies, Rishikesh offers a plethora of activities such as white river rafting, bungee jumping, surfing, kayaking, cliff jumping etc. If you are a yoga enthusiast, do visit one of its many yoga ashrams situated near the banks of the river Ganges. Sign up for a 3-day yoga retreat designed to cleanse your body, mind and soul! Also, the must-sees in Rishikesh include Ram Jhula, Laxman Jhula, Gita Bhavan, Astha Path, and Triveni Ghat amongst others. Do not forget to go for an Ayurvedic massage session while in Rishikesh.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Rishikesh
Rishikesh sees an influx of tourists throughout the year which is a healthy mix of pilgrims, young travelers as well as foreigners. To suit everyone’s taste buds, the city has come to offer diverse culinary delights – North Indian, South Indian, Gujarati, Rajasthani, Chinese, Italian etc. In fact, there are several food joints in Rishikesh which offer delicacies without the use of onion or garlic as the ingredients, to cater to the ‘pure vegetarian’ devotees visiting the city.
From cozy cafes, English breakfast points, and German bakeries to Vaishnav Bhojanalyas, the cuisine of Rishikesh is varied and rich. When visiting the city, street foods like samosa, aloo poori, jalebi, kachori, besan ladoos, lassi should be on your must-try items here.
Drop by these famous eateries* to sample some mouthwatering meals in Rishikesh:
- Jal and Jalebi, Virbhadra Road, near AIIMS
- Rajasthani Sweets Mishthan Bhandar, Triveni Ghat Chowk
- Ramana’s Organic Cafe, Laxman Jhula Road
- A Tavola Con Te, behind Kriya Yoga Ashram
- Ira’s Kitchen and Tearoom, Tapovan
- The60s.life, Green Hills Badrinath Road
*Due to pandemic, restaurant hours might vary. Check with the restaurants for timings and safety rules before visiting.
Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Rishikesh
|Swiss Cottage and Spa By Salvus||By Pass Road, Tapovan, Laxman Jhula, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249192. PH: 081818 28393|
|Ganga Kinare – A Riverside Boutique Hotel||237, Virbhadra Rd, Sturida Colony, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249201 PH: 090155 44000|
|The Narayana Palace by Salvus||Badrinath Road, Tapovan, near laxman jhula, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249201 PH: 081818 28393|
|The Palms Resort||Haridwar – Rishikesh Road , NH 58, District Dehradun, Raiwala, Uttarakhand 249401 PH: 084494 57777|
|Soul Haven||Ward no.4, Ghugtani, near Deecon valley, Tapovan, Rishikesh, Uttarakhand 249192 PH: 099965 16296|
Download our Savaari car rental app for a smooth and pleasant journey.