A trip from Delhi to Dehradun is certainly a great option for a weekend getaway. Dehradun is amongst the most happening places in Uttarakhand. Dehradun’s young and lively vibe welcomes all its visitors with its arms wide open. However, there is a lot more to Dehradun than just the quaint beautiful cafes.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Delhi to Dehradun?
- Traveling from Delhi to Dehradun
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- How to Reach Dehradun By Train
- How to Reach Dehradun By Flight
- Other means of traveling
- Places to eat along this route
- Attractions in Dehradun for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Dehradun
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Dehradun
Why travel from Delhi to Dehradun?
The city’s proximity to other hill towns in Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh makes Dehradun a very popular destination among all types of travelers. With a long list of places to explore in Dehradun, this readymade guide from Savaari will help you make the most of your road trip from Delhi to Dehradun.
This guide will take you through a gorgeous route that has some breathtaking monuments, some hidden gems here and there and some eateries so you take home only the best experience. Read on!
Traveling from Delhi to Dehradun by Car
Traveling from Delhi to Dehradun by car is one of the best ways of traveling between the two cities. The distance covered with a Delhi and Dehradun taxi is around 255 km and can be easily covered in under 4 hours.
Road trips are fun, interesting and also quite flexible given you have the space to plan your travel accordingly. Therefore, by taking a road trip from Delhi to Dehradun, you get to plan the journey well in advance which is a great way to explore the places nearby.
Not to forget, you get to every nook and corner, experience every detail of the local culture and take detours according to your convenience and travel plans. This flexibility is often limited when choosing the other two options – flight and train. Therefore, experience the joy of being on the road by booking a cab from Savaari and let our expert chauffeurs take you around like tour guides aka travel experts.
Best time to Take a Road trip from Delhi to Dehradun by Car
The best time to take a road trip from New Delhi to Dehradun by car can be anytime during the year. Lying on the foothills of the great Himalayas, Dehradun is a soothing retreat. However, the best time to visit Delhi to Dehradun by Car can be in the summer season (April-June) when the weather is quite pleasant for a road trip. Monsoon and autumn season (July- October) are also favorable, but winters are not exactly the season advisable for a visit unless you love the snow.
Route 1: via Saharanpur road
Delhi to Dehradun distance Via Saharanpur road
The distance between Delhi and Dehradun is 307 km and can be covered in anout 7 hours 45 minutes. The roads are bumpy but the ride is worth it! The breataking views will send you in the vacation mood much before you reach the destination.
For more adventures, you take a de route and cover the distance from Delhi to Dehradun via Haridwar.
Delhi to Dehradun Road Conditions Via Saharanpur road
The Delhi to Dehradun expressway road conditions for an ideal roadtrip. However, it is advisable to check the live traffic conditions before leaving. Here’s a classic roadmap of the route –
|Delhi — Meerut — Hastinapur — Muzaffarnagar — Saharanpur — Dehradun|
Popular Places along the way:
- Digambar Jain Temple, Meerut – Said to have been built by the Gods themselves, Digambar Jain Temple is a highly revered Jain shrine in Meerut whose history dates back to thousands of years ago. The courtyard of the temple includes 7 altars with 7 extremely beautiful spires. The uniqueness of this renowned temple in Meerut is not only restricted to this. There is also a 6 feet high Padamasanastha image of Lord Mahaveer Swami which devotees come to admire from different corners of the world.
- Hastinapur – Situated on the banks of Ganga, Hastinapur is the birthplace of three Jain Teerthankara, and it has become an extremely important center of pilgrimage for the Jain community in India. Ruled by the Pandavas after winning the Mahabharata, the town is still known as the town of Mahabharata. This place is sure to delight history and mythology buffs since the town still has so much to share.
- Muzaffarnagar – A fascinating place to explore many monuments of the Mughal era. Dotted with many temples, Muzaffarnagar is also an ideal place for a spiritual getaway.
- Saharanpur – People flock to Saharanpur to see the age-old temples including Shakumbhari Devi temple and Bala Sundari Temple of Deoband (Shakti Peethas). The Naugaja Peer is much favored by the devotees who come here from different corners of the country to get their wishes fulfilled. Apart from the temples, Saharanpur is adorned with several colonial buildings such as the Botanical Gardens and Ambedkar Park which provides much-needed relief from the chaos of the city.
Places to eat along the way:
- JhilMil Dhaba: Stop here for north Indian breakfast. Their aloo paranthas are quite a hit among locals.
- Al Karim Restaurant: A hearty Mughali meal here is sure to charge you up for the road trip ahead.
- Gupta Ji ki Kutiya: All travelers en route like to stop here for a plate of Maggi.
- Monti Millions: With clean interiors as well as parking space, travelers like to stop here for a meal.
- Picnic Point: Stop here for some freshly brewed masala chai.
Other means of traveling from Delhi to Dehradun
You can take a Delhi to Dehradun volvo, train or flight to reach the hill station. The Delhi to Dehradun bus ticket price ranges from Rs 1000 – Rs 3000.
How to Reach Dehradun By Train
Traveling from Delhi to Dehradun by train is another way of covering Delhi to Dehradun distance. There are many trains that run between the two cities. On a weekly basis, the count shoots up to 4. Delhi to Dehradun distance by train is around 250 km.
The first train that leaves Delhi and takes you to Dehradun is 12017 Delhi to Dehradun Shatabdi. It departs from Delhi at 06:50 AM. The last train that leaves Delhi for Dehradun is 12205 New Delhi Dehradun Ac Express. It leaves at 23:55 PM.
12205 New Delhi Dehradun Ac Express is the fastest train that will take you from Delhi to Dehradun. It takes about 5h 45m and leaves Delhi at 23:55. The maximum duration of 8h 5m is taken by Uttaranchal Express 19565. It departs from Delhi at 11:00.
Out of all the trains that operate between Delhi and Dehradun, only 3 originate from Delhi while the remaining one train passes from Delhi. You can also travel from Delhi to Dehradun by Mussoorie express.
Therefore for more details, visit the Indian Railways website for updated train fares and real-time schedules.
How to Reach Dehradun By Flight
Traveling from Delhi to Dehradun by flight is the fastest way of covering the distance between the two cities. There are non-stop flights available from Indira Gandhi International Airport to Jolly Grant. The flight duration from Delhi to Dehradun is anywhere between 45 min to 1 hour.
Should you wish to book or check Delhi to Dehradun flight ticket price, you can follow the updates on various airline websites or other online portals.
Explore Dehradun Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Gracefully sitting amidst the Doon Valley, Dehradun delights families and backpackers alike. From caves, monasteries, temples, markets, waterfalls, to medicinal springs, there’s a lot to be explored and experienced in Dehradun. Hence, follow our comprehensive guide to have an epic time in Dehradun.
Attractions in Dehradun for Sightseeing
Popular tourist attractions in Dehradun include religious places such as, viewpoints, and a plethora of other interesting places to explore. Being close to one of India’s largest national parks, Rajaji National Park in Dehradun is an excellent destination to indulge in wildlife tours.
With quite a number of temples dotting Dehradun, a spiritual tour on your holiday is a must. Devotees can visit temples like Tapkeshwar, Daat Kali, and Santa Devi Temple and also seek blessings at the Buddha Temple in the Clement Town area.
For those wishing to be closer to nature can spend time at places such as Gucchu Paani (Robbers’ Cave), Sahastradhara Falls, Malsi Deer Park, and Lachhiwala, Forest Research Institute.
Lastly, but definitely not the least, admire the Clock Tower and shop your heart out at the local market.
Savaari Recommends: Popular Places to Eat in Dehradun
- North Indian – Punjab Restaurant, Punjab Grill, Black Pepper, BMG, Pavilion Restaurant
- Italian – Y Cafe, Mussoorie Lights, The Terrace
- Continental – Town Table Restaurant, Muse Restaurant, The Taveran, Prez Restaurant
- Multi-cuisine – Un-plugged
- Chinese – Kalsang Friends Corner, Flavours
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Dehradun
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Four Points by Sheraton||152, 4, Rajpur Rd, Jakhan, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001||0135 660 3300|
|Hotel Sand Stone||Haridwar Bypass, ISBT, Near, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001||074099 99992|
|Old British House||217 Rajpur Road Lane Opp. Hotel Royal Inn, near GRD Academy, Uttarakhand 248009||081716 15791|
|Lemon Tree Hotel||Ground Floor Pacific Mall, Rajpur Rd, near Bajaj Institute of Learning, Jakhan, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248006||0135 273 7777|
|Hotel Boulevard||59/3 D, Rajpur Rd, Dobhalwala, Chukkuwala, Dehradun, Uttarakhand 248001||0135 297 0530|
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.