High up within the layers of the Greater Himalayas, is a town that has stood through the test of time, where the hills and valleys come alive with the sounds of nature. The traces of its colonial past, modern travel community, and endless natural bounties make Dalhousie a destination to cherish. You can cherish this all the more when you do a road trip from the nearest metro city of Delhi and experience everything that lies on the way to this breathtaking destination in the Himalayas.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Delhi to Dalhousie?
- Traveling from Delhi to Dalhousie by car
- Best time to take a road trip from Delhi to Dalhousie by car
- Distance and Time taken from Delhi to Dalhousie via NH44
- Places to eat on this route:
- How to Reach Dalhousie By Train
- How to Reach Dalhousie By Flight
- Attractions in Dalhousie for Sightseeing
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Dalhousie
Why travel from Delhi to Dalhousie?
When you book a car with Savaari, you can not only get a completely customized trip option but also enjoy the ride through the plains, hills, and valleys.
Traveling from Delhi to Dalhousie by car
The road from Delhi to Dalhousie makes for a scenic route with interesting stopovers. The road passes through the Delhi-NCR region, northern plains and finally heads into the greener, cleaner zones of the Lower Himalayas with uninterrupted views of mountains, valleys, and alpine forests. With our Delhi to Dalhousie trip packages, you can customize your entire trip, make convenient itineraries and enjoy the adventure that a classic road trip should be.
Let us help you discover the best route and trip plans so you have a great trip from Delhi to Dalhousie by road.
Best time to take a road trip from Delhi to Dalhousie by car
Dalhousie sits in the northern part of Himachal and experiences the typical climate pattern of high-altitude locales. If you are seeking all-outdoor activities, then the summer months of April to June are perfect to visit. For the winter parties and holidays, visit around December, January but this is the most crowded time in Dalhousie. The rainy season can be slushy so, it’s better to avoid driving around or trek through the hilly areas during these months. The best time to visit Delhi to Dalhousie by car is between October to June.
Distance and Time taken from Delhi to Dalhousie via NH44
Delhi to Dalhousie distance
This is the shortest and fastest driving route to cover Delhi to Dalhousie distance of 576 KM. This route also has several interesting spots to stopover. It takes about 11 to 12 hours to reach Dalhousie from Delhi depending on traffic.
Delhi to Dalhousie Road Condition via NH44
This route has tolls and may have some Delhi to Dalhousie traffic, especially during holidays or weekends. That’s why you should always check for real-time traffic updates and use live maps to better understand the Delhi to Dalhousie road conditions for driving. Here’s a basic Delhi to Dalhousie road map for this route:
|Delhi — Sonipat — Panipat — Karnal — Ambala — Ludhiana — Jalandhar — Pathankot — Dalhousie|
Popular places along the way:
- Panipat Battlefield Memorial & Museum, Panipat – Famous historical site of war memorial and ancient battlefield and Tomb of Ibrahim Lodhi.
- Cantonment Church Tower, Karnal – An old church tower dating back to the colonial days.
- Rani Ka Talab, Ambala – An artificially made, ancient lake, surrounded with cenotaphs, good for a quick tour.
- Lodhi Fort (Purana Qila), Ludhiana – Historical site with ruins of the ancient fort of Ibrahim Lodhi.
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh War Museum, Ludhiana – Public museum with information on regional and national history of battles, and a collection of weapons, armor and uniforms and more.
- Mukteshwar Temple, Pathankot – A prominent hilltop temple on a river with man-made caves, dedicated to Shiva.
Places to eat on this route:
- Amrik Sukhdev, Sonipat – Popular and busy highway side eatery with multi-cuisine buffet and a la carte options, good for families and large groups.
- Neelkanth Star, Karnal – Standard highway side restaurant serving North Indian dishes, good for family and big groups.
- Pooran Singh Da Dhaba, Ambala – Family-owned old dhaba famous for home-style lunches.
- Haveli, Jalandhar – Fancy family restaurant with outdoor and indoor seating, serving classic Punjabi dishes, kid-friendly.
- The View, Dasuya – Local diner serving traditional Punjabi and other north Indian meals, good for family.
Other means of traveling from Delhi to Dalhousie
You can also cover the Delhi to Dalhousie distance by bus, trains or flights.
How to Reach Dalhousie By Train
Dalhousie has no direct railroad connectivity from Delhi. The nearest railhead is in Pathankot, about 90 KM away. You can take a train to Pathankot from Delhi and from there you can hire a cab to take you to Dalhousie. As of now, there are 13 trains available from Delhi to Pathankot of which three trains run daily.
The fastest train is JAT FSTVL SPL (02421) which takes about seven and a half hours to reach Pathankot. For New Delhi to Dalhousie train ticket price, booking and updated timings, you can visit the Indian Railways website or check with any online travel portal to get the best deals.
How to Reach Dalhousie by Flight
You can also travel from Delhi to Dalhousie by flight. The nearest air strip is at Gaggal/ Dharamsala- Kangra/Kangra Airport (DHM) at a distance of 107 km from Dalhousie. The average Delhi to Kangra flight duration can range from one and half to four hours, depending on the airline or the flight route you take. You can book a convenient Dharamshala airport to Dalhousie cab and enjoy a hassle-free roadtrip to your destination.
For your Delhi to Dalhousie via Kangra flight booking, visit any online travel portal for the best deal or check with the airline’s direct website. The Delhi to Dalhousie flight cost via Kangra can range from Rs. 4000 to 6000, depending on the travel season, booking window, and available deals.
Explore Dalhousie Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Dalhousie is a treasure trove of exotic nature spots, away from the mainstream sites. Named after the Earl of Dalhousie and the British Governor General of India of 1854, this popular and populous hill town sits in the Chamba district of Himachal Pradesh, on the slopes of the Dhauladhar Range. Spread across five hills, this picturesque settlement boasts classic colonial structures, mesmerizing landscape, and an old-world charm that brings you a feeling of joy and nostalgia at the same time. With our tips and suggestions, you can explore Dalhousie like a local and make your Dalhousie trip exciting.
Attractions in Dalhousie for Sightseeing
Start by exploring the wild side of Dalhousie’s nature at the Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary, known for housing some endemic mountain animals and birds. Spend a day hiking through the alpine forests of Bakrota, Kholpukhar, Karelnu, which line the highways. Head to the Dalhousie Cantonment Forest and try your hands at paragliding. Don’t forget to visit the Satdhara Waterfall enroute.
For a dose on local history and heritage, visit the 19th century St. John’s Church and the Bhuri Singh Museum, which houses exhibits and historical and religious artifacts of Chamba. If you get a clear and sunny day, you might be able to catch the sunset views at Moti Tibba.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Dalhousie
The food culture of Dalhousie still reflects traces of its colonial past. However, in the present times, being a hotspot for international tourists, trekkers, and backpackers, the flavors Dalhousie is a mix of international and traditional fare.
When in Dalhousie, these are a few places to definitely sample the local taste –
- Café Dalhousie, MDR49, Moti Tiba
- Bon Appetit Bakes Fries Grills Roasts Restaurant, The Mall, Gandhi Chowk
- Himachali Kitchen, Subhash Chowk Rd, Moti Tiba
- Mohan Palace, Gandhi Chowk, Dalhousie Khajjiar Rd
- Friends Sher e Punjab Restaurant, Subhash Chowk
Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Dalhousie
|Snow Valley Resorts||The Mall, Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh 176304 PH: 093185 13788|
|Grand View Hotel||Near Dalhousie Club, Moti Tiba, Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh 176304 PH: 0189 924 0760|
|Alps Resort Dalhousie||Upper Bakrota Hills, Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh 176304 PH: 082192 67050|
|Hotel BrijVilla, A Luxury Experience||Silverton Estate, Above Circuit House, Moti Tiba, Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh 176304 PH: 070185 81430|
|Elgin Hall||The Mall Road Subash Chowk, opposite to Jawed Habib, Dalhousie, Himachal Pradesh 176304 PH: 091692 80000|
Download our savaari car rental app for a smooth and pleasant journey.