Why travel from Delhi to Auli?
The national capital is blessed with a host of scenic destinations in the vicinity, making it easy for a quick getaway. The sleepy hamlet of Auli in Uttarakhand is one such place. Far from the maddening crowd, surrounded by the breathtaking beauty of the Lower Himalayas, Auli is the most non-commercial hilly getaway from Delhi that you can find. But to make this getaway more exciting, why not make a road trip from Delhi to Auli?
When you book a cab with Savaari, this long drive can become a memorable journey. You can customize the entire trip as per your convenience, make interesting stopovers along the way, and have an adventure through the hills.
Traveling from Delhi to Auli by car
The road from Delhi to Auli prepares you for what’s to come when you reach Auli. Avail a cab service from Delhi and make the most of this scenic route, which passes through plains of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, and hills and valleys of Uttarakhand. With our Delhi to Auli tour packages, you can make stopovers at any of these places. You can customize the plans at any time, as per your interest and travel goals.
Let us help you discover the best routes so you can plan a great road trip from Delhi to Auli by car.
Best time to take a road trip from Delhi to Auli by car
Being tucked into the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand in the Lower Himalayas, the town of Auli experiences temperate weather. The summers are cool and pleasant, making it great for exploring the outdoors. The winters, on the other hand, are more famous for tourism, when the town sees occasional snowfall. This is the best time to visit if you want to experience the winter wonderland or do snow sports like skiing.
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Delhi to Auli via Upper Ganga Canal Road
This is the shortest and fastest route to travel to Auli from Delhi. It is also the only recommended route by Google maps, and used by regular travelers. The distance between Delhi and Auli via this road is 397 KM and takes about 10 and half hours. This route has tolls but sees very light Delhi to Auli traffic, which makes it easier to drive through. But before you start, always check for live traffic updates and use real-time maps for better understanding of Delhi to Auli road condition.
Here’s a basic Delhi to Auli road map for this route:
|Delhi — Panipat — Karnal — Yamuna Nagar — Paonta Sahib — Herbertpur — Dakpatthar — Baigi — Auli|
Vital Statistics – Time, Distance & Highway Quality
Popular sights/monuments that you will encounter along this route:
- Panipat – Take a tour of the historical battlefield of Panipat and its associated memorial and museum.
- Muradnagar – Stop by the Chhota Haridward pilgrim site or catch a breath of fresh air at the local farm retreats.
- Ashoka Rock Edict, Kalsi – Visit the original rock inscriptions by emperor Ashoka when he submitted himself to Buddhism.
- Kanasar Deodar forest – Make a quick detour to another hilly settlement, Chakrata and explore the lush Deodar forests and meadows.
- Tiger Falls, Chakrata – Stop for a short trek or drive all the way to the waterfall for a great view of the mountains and valleys.
Places to eat along this route:
- Haveli, Murthal, Haryana – Landmark highway side family restaurant and food complex with themed setting and plush interiors. Must tries include piping hot parathas with a generous helping of home made makhan.
- Amrik Sukhdev, Sonipat, Haryana – Popular and busy highway side eatery with multi-cuisine buffet and a la carte options, good for families and large groups.
- Thakur Restaurant and Bar, Pataliyon, Himachal Pradesh – Highway side diner serving multi-cuisine food, with late night food and drink options.
- Kolan’s Family Restaurant, Koti, Uttarakhand – Locally popular family and kid-friendly restaurant serving traditional meals.
Other means of traveling from Delhi to Auli
You can also travel the Delhi to Auli distance by train. There are 2 weekly trains but no daily trains that run from Delhi to Auli. The railroad distance from New Delhi to Auli is approximately 495 kms. There is no railway station in Auli and Dehradun is the nearest railway station. There are about 10 trains that are currently plying between Delhi and Dehradun, the fastest train is DDN KOTA SPL (02402) which takes about five and half hours. For Delhi to Dehradun/Auli train booking and updated timings, you can visit the Indian Railways website or check with any online travel portal to get the best deals.
You can also reach Auli from Delhi by flight. The nearest airport is Dehradun’s Jolly Grant Airport (DED) which is about 180 Km by car from Auli. The average Delhi to Dehradun flight duration can range from one and half to five hours, depending on the airline or the flight route you take. For your Delhi to Auli flight booking, visit any online travel portal for the best deal or check with the airline’s website. The Delhi to Auli flight cost can range from Rs. 2500 to 4000, depending on the travel season, booking window, and available deals. You can book a Dehradun airport to Auli taxi to have a hassle-free road trip.
Explore Auli Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Nestled in an obscure corner of the Chamoli district of Uttarakhand, the sleepy and cozy little town of Auli is the proud owner of a secret destination. For skiers and snow lovers, this is indeed a paradise, for nature lovers, an utter bliss. Blessed in its own charm, this hilly homestead is a joy at every turn. With our tips and suggestions, you can turn your Auli trip into a great adventure.
Attractions in Auli for Sightseeing
One of the best ways to experience the real beauty of Auli is to stay and walk around the picturesque town, like a local. For more touristy activities, head to the Auli Artificial Lake – one of the world’s highest man-made lakes, which offers pristine views and lakeside activities, or the Chenab Lake – small crystalline lake popular among tourists. For a generous dose of nature, have a picnic or day trek around the alpine grasslands and trekking trails of Gorson Bugyal. Take the adventure to the next level with a trip to the Chattrakund – a glacial lake situated at 3300 meters from the sea level and famous for treks. Don’t forget to visit other popular places like Joshimath, Kiarna, Chopal, or go all the way up to Theog and Kufri.
Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Auli
Auli doesn’t have a very distinct characteristic when it comes to food. As a part of the greater culture of Uttarakhand, Auli shares the same flavors as other towns and villages. Also, with increased tourism over the last decade or so, the town has evolved to cater to the multicultural travel community. So, on one side you will find cafes in Auli serving coffee, sandwiches, pizzas, etc., and on the other, you will also see family restaurants and dhabas dishing out north Indian fare.
Drop by these famous eateries* to sample some mouthwatering meals in Auli:
- Panchavati Inn, Hotel & Restaurant, Singhdhar bus stand Badrinath Road/Hemkund Sahib Road, Road, Joshimath
- Pahadi Café & Restaurant, Auli Rd, Joshimath
- Food & More Café, Chhawani bazar, near jal nigam, Joshimath
- Auli D Food Plaza, NH 58, Plaza Market, Joshimath
- The Apple Tree Family Restaurant, Upper Bazar, Near Nanda Devi Hotel Diagonally, opposite to Bank Of Baroda, Joshimath
*Due to pandemic, restaurant hours might vary. Check with the restaurants for timings and safety rules before visiting.
Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Auli
|Royal Village Resort||Govt. Tourist Complex, Auli, Joshimath, Uttarakhand 246443. PH: 096394 19882|
|Cliff Top Club||Auli Laga Joshimath, Uttarakhand 246443 PH: 078951 40058|
|The Tattva||1, 136, Dr E Moses Rd, Gandhi Nagar, Upper Worli, Worli, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400018 PH: 022 2481 8000|
|Nandan Kanan Auli Resort||Auli Rd, Joshimath, Uttarakhand 246443 PH: 074538 06597|
|Blue Poppy Resorts||Near GMVN, Auli, Uttarakhand 246443 PH: 078141 99093|