Nestled in the heart of the state of Punjab, the city of Amritsar is steeped in stories. From being the most sacred place for Sikhs, to its historic events of the Independence movement, Amritsar developed with a wonderful balance of economic, political, cultural and religious significance.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Delhi to Amritsar?
- Traveling from Delhi to Amritsar by car
- Delhi to Amritsar Best Route
- How to Reach Amritsar By Train
- How to Reach Amritsar by Flight
- Other means of traveling from Delhi to Amritsar
- Attractions in Amritsar for Sightseeing
- Places to Eat in Amritsar
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Amritsar
Why Travel from Delhi to Amritsar?
Home to the glorious Golden Temple, Amritsar is among the most revered cities for Sikhs across the world. A trip to Amritsar is a feast to the senses. The warm and welcoming energy around the city certainly makes every traveller feel right at home in no time. Add good food and interesting places to this, and you have the perfect recipe for a memorable time in Amritsar. There is no better way to explore a vibrant city like Amritsar than with Savaari’s expert chauffeurs. Book a Savaari taxi in Amritsar and explore Amritsar like a local.
Traveling from Delhi to Amritsar by Car
Undeniably, road trips are one of the most wholesome ways of traveling from one city to the other. The distance between Delhi and Amritsar by road is around 470 kilometers taking approximately 8 to 9 hours to reach.
The journey from Delhi to Amritsar is nothing short of fascinating. From tall pine trees, vast fields on either side of the road to the highways dotted with orange juice stalls; a trip to Punjab is all about enjoying the vistas painted in shades of green and yellow and of course the great food en route. Make the most of your road trip with Savaari Car Rentals and their expertise. Experience the true joy of being on the road by directly booking a car in Delhi from Savaari.
Best time to Take a Road trip from Delhi to Amritsar by Car
Winters are generally considered the best time to visit Delhi to Amritsar by Car, from October to March. April and May are the hottest months in Amritsar so it’s best to avoid a trip during these months.
Therefore, if you are planning a trip from Delhi to Amritsar anytime soon, then read on! We discussed in great detail 3 different routes along with popular places along the way for sightseeing as well as great local food.
Route 1: Delhi to Amritsar Via Ludhiana
Delhi to Amritsar Road Condition Via Ludhiana
This is the fastest route to reach Amritsar. You can expect excellent road conditions and will find many interesting places along the way.
Delhi to Amritsar distance Via Ludhiana
The Gurgaon to Amritsar distance via this route is approximately 460 KM and takes over 8 hours 40 mins to travel. Before you travel, always check for traffic updates and use live maps to get real-time information on Delhi to Amritsar road conditions.
This is the basic route for the distance from Delhi to Amritsar via Chandigarh by road –
|Delhi — Panipat — Karnal — Kurukshetra — Ambala — Ludhiana — Jalandhar — Amritsar|
Popular Places along the way:
- Tomb of Bu-Ali Shah Kalandar: This is a significant historical pilgrimage destination located in Panipat. Stop here to admire the grand architecture of the place.
- Karnal Lake: A small secluded place to catch a breath, Karnal Lake should be on your map once you cross Panipat and drive towards Ambala.
- Gurudwara Manji Sahib: This calm peaceful gurudwara located in Ambala deserves a visit for the delicious langar served here.
- Phillaur Fort: Standing gracefully on the banks of River Sutlej in Ludhiana, this fort is a historical treasure. Designed by French and Italian generals, the fort is now used by Punjab Police for training their cadets.
- Maharaja Ranjit Singh War Museum: Stop at this very interesting place in Ludhiana. War arsenal, jet planes, ancient artillery and other war memorabilia on display are sure to amaze you.
Places to eat along the way:
- Amrik Sukhdev – Great breakfast joint, stop here for lip-smacking paranthas and Kulche Chole.
- Mannat Haveli – A few km down the road, Mannat Haveli is another great option.
- Food Garage – This very interesting restaurant en route deserves a visit for its interesting decor. Garage equipment has been turned into seats and tables and the place is certainly a hit among regulars who stop here for snacks.
- Karnal Club Restaurant – Take a tea or coffee break.
- Royal Hut Family Dhaba – A great option if you are traveling late at night.
- Haveli – Get the true taste of Punjab here. The theme of the restaurant is Punjab’s rural lifestyle with manji and huge tumbler glasses adorning the tables. Known not just for the food but for the whole village set up, this place is a fascinating stop.
Route 2: Delhi to Amritsar Via Rohtak-Patiala
Delhi to Amritsar Road Condition Via Patiala
Another popular route, the road via Patiala takes longer than the previous one. However, you can still take this to cross some of the most iconic and historic places situated between these two cities.
Delhi to Amritsar distance Via Patiala
The Delhi to Golden Temple Amritsar distance via this route is approximately 642 KM and takes over 12 hours 40 mins to travel. Before you travel, always check for traffic updates and use live maps to get real-time information on Delhi to Amritsar road conditions.
Here is the classic roadmap of the distance covered between Delhi to Amritsar via Patiala –
|Delhi — Bahadurgarh — Rohtak — Uchana — Patiala — Ludhiana — Jalandhar — Amritsar|
Popular places along the way:
- Tilyar Lake: This nice peaceful lake in Rohtak is perfect for boating and relaxing by the lake.
- Banni Khera Farm: Only two hours from Delhi, this place in Rohtak is great to get a taste of authentic rural life.
- Jayanti Devi Temple: This quaint temple in Jind is believed to be 500 years old.
- Qila Mubarak: This historical gem in Patiala is an architectural marvel that deserves a visit.
- Sarai Lashkari Khan: Between Patiala and the town of Doraha, this interesting fort was used for shooting Bollywood movie, Rang de Basanti.
- Moti Bagh Palace: This gigantic four-storeyed palace is one of the must-visit places to visit in Patiala. Once there, you can also explore the Sheesh Mahal or Palace of mirrors.
Places to eat along the way:
- NH71 Sandhu Family Dhaba – A decent option for breakfast. Their paranthas and other breakfast dishes are quite good.
- Burger Boys – Stop here for quick bites.
- Gurukirpa Farm – For a meal, Gurukirpa Farm is one of the best options around.
- McDonald’s – Grab some fries and freshly brewed coffee for the trip ahead.
- Hotel RC Plaza – Another decent option for a wholesome meal.
- Haveli – Stop here for a glass of lassi and lip-smacking chaat.
- Tasty Corner – The best option en route for authentic chole bhature.
Route 3: Delhi to Amritsar Via Meerut
Delhi to Amritsar Road Conditions Via Meerut
This is the alternative route to travel from Delhi to Amritsar. But this is the longest and slowest route. However, there are more sightseeing options on this route.
Delhi to Amritsar Distance Via Meerut
The Delhi to Amritsar distance via this route is approximately 561 KM and takes over 11 hours 56 mins to travel. Before you travel, always check for traffic updates and use live maps to get real-time information on Delhi to Amritsar road conditions.
This is the basic route to take via Ambala and Ludhiana
|Delhi — Meerut — Muzafarnagar — Karnal — Kurukshetra — Ambala — Ludhiana — Jalandhar — Amritsar|
Popular Places along the way:
- Augharnath Temple: Also known as Kali Paltan Temple, it is associated with the historical revolt of 1857.
- Sri Hanuman Temple: Rich in mythological significance, do not miss the Akshay Vat Vriksha here, which is a holy mythological tree.
- Shaheed Smarak: Pay tribute to the martyrs of the 1857 uprising, this is a must-visit place for history buffs.
Places to eat along the way:
- Veerji Chaap Wale – From the beautiful decor to equally amazing food, this place deserves a visit if you are looking for authentic North Indian cuisine.
- The Great Bawarchi – Their great food is surely the talk of the town. Stop here and sample their Biryani, Butter Chicken, Chicken Korma and Paneer Butter Masala.
- Roms Pizza – A decent option en route for your pizza cravings.
- Cafe Coffee Day – Stop here for freshly brewed coffee.
- Cheetal Grand – A great place to sample quick bites.
- Haldiram’s – Stock up on snacks from Haldiram.
Delhi to Amritsar Best Route
Although you can take any of the three routes mentioned, we recommend you to take the route via Ludhiana. This is the fastest route and has the best road conditions. You will also find many good places to visit and eat along this route.
Other means of traveling from Delhi to Amritsar
How to Reach Amritsar By Train
Both these cities are located at a distance of 447kms. The efficient rail connectivity has made traveling from Delhi to Amritsar so much easier. There are many trains that run between the two cities. On a daily basis, 3 trains run between Amritsar and New Delhi. On a weekly basis, the count is 2.
The Amritsar Shatabdi train is the fastest, as it reaches the destination in 06 hours. It is available every day. This train can be boarded from New Delhi at 16:30 which reaches 22:30 on the same day. You can check the Delhi to Amritsar Shatabdi fare on the official site. Cstm ASR Express is the slowest train for this route reaching the destination in 12 hours. Unlike the fastest train, it passes through the state of Haryana.
Should you wish to book your New Delhi to Amritsar train ticket and check Delhi to Amritsar train time, it is advisable to check various online portals and the Indian Railways website for accurate updated information.
How to Reach Amritsar by Flight
Amritsar is well-connected by domestic as well as international flights. The airlines that operate flights between New Delhi and Amritsar are Air India, IndiGo, Vistara Airlines, and SpiceJet. The total number of weekly flights from New Delhi to Amritsar is 111. Of these flights, Air India has 56, IndiGo has 21, Vistara Airlines has 21, and SpiceJet has 13.
For more details on your next Delhi airport to Amritsar flight time, always check online portals and official websites of airlines for accurate fares and real-time updates.
Explore Amritsar Like a Local: A Handy Guide
Believers irrespective of their caste, creed, religion visit Amritsar in search of serenity and get amazed seeing the humble nature and deep-rooted beliefs of the Sikhs. The satiating food and generous dollops of legendary Punjabi hospitality further make Amritsar one of the best places to explore in India. Here’s a comprehensive guide to travelling around Amritsar and taking home just the best experience. You can also book Savaari’s tempo traveller in Delhi if you are travelling in a large group
Attractions in Amritsar for Sightseeing
- You haven’t been to Amritsar if you haven’t seen the Wagah Border. Do not miss the infamous evening retreat at the Wagah Border.
- A holder of Guinness Book of World Record as the most visited place in the world, the Golden Temple is the pride and soul of the Sikhs. This place is a must-visit for the tasty langar, hospitable environment and pure serenity. The Delhi to Golden temple distance by car is 450 kns and can be covered in 7.5 hours.
- Located within a distance of one kilometer from the Golden Temple, Jallianwala Bagh should also be on your list. Savaari recommends a visit to the infamous Bagh to pay homage to the sacrifice of thousands of innocent souls.
- Plan a visit to the Partition Museum which is one of its kind in the world. The museum has collected stories and trauma of the millions who had to suffer from the bloody consequences of a ruthless partition. At the Partition Museum, you will find newspaper clippings, photographs as well as personal items that were donated by people who witnessed and lived through the Partition.
Places to Eat in Amritsar
- Kulcha – Kulcha Land, Friends Dhaba,
- Kebabs – Surjit Food Plaza, Beera Chicken House, Makhan Fish, and Chicken
- Best north Indian meals – Kesar da Dhaba
- Lassi – Ahuja Milk Bhandar
- Desserts – Hall Bazaar
- Continental – Bon Gateaux
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Amritsar
|Hotel Name||Address||Phone Number|
|Hyatt Regency||MBM Farms, Grand Trunk Rd, adjoining Mall Of Amritsar, Amritsar, Punjab 143001||0183 525 1234|
|Holiday Inn||District Shopping Complex, Ranjit Avenue, Amritsar, Punjab 143001||0183 508 8888 |
|The Fern Residency||Sona Chandi Towers, #33, The Mall, Amritsar, Punjab 143001||0183 515 1222|
|Amritsar Grand Hotel||H.No- 2012, 1-20, Katra Bhagian, Town Hall, Ram Bagh, Amritsar, Punjab 143001||078888 97590|
|Lemon Tree Hotel||7, Grand Trunk Rd, Model Town, Guru Arjun Nagar, Amritsar, Punjab 143001||0183 524 5555|
You can also take a Delhi to Amritsar government bus. But, for the cheapest cab fare, download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.