Agra is a historically famous city that is located on the banks of the River Yamuna. Agra’s monuments and heritage structures make it an important destination, but it is also its vibrant culture that appeals to the crowds. The biggest attraction in Agra is the Taj Mahal, which is a testament to lost love. The Taj Mahal’s incredible beauty and captivating story draw huge crowds every day and it is also one of the seven wonders of the world.
Table of Contents
- Why travel from Delhi to Agra?
- Traveling from Delhi to Agra
- Best time to take a road trip by car
- How to Reach Agra By Train
- How to Reach Agra By Flight
- Other means of traveling
- Places to eat along this route
- Attractions in Agra for Sightseeing
- Savaari recommends – Popular places to eat in Agra
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Agra
- Nearby Roadtrips
Why travel from Delhi to Agra?
Trains, flights, buses and taxis connect Agra and Delhi. However, a convenient way to travel to Agra is by taking a road trip. Thus, by booking a cab with Savaari, you will have the flexibility to make multiple stops and explore the nearby places.
Traveling from Delhi to Agra by Road
A road trip from Delhi to Agra by car is one of the best ways to experience the roads that connect the busy metro to the ancient city. When you book Delhi to Agra itinerary trip packages with us, you can enjoy a ride , before you enter the City of Palaces. You will pass through some popular, as well as, offbeat locales, on your Agra trip from Delhi.
Let us help you discover two routes for a road trip from Delhi to Agra and back. We will also tell you a little bit about the places you could see along the way.
Thus, experience the joy of being on the road by booking Delhi car rental from Savaari.
Quick Facts about Delhi to Agra
|Road Distance from Delhi to Agra||243 kms|
|Aerial Distance from Delhi to Agra||178 kms|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Agra by Road||4 hours|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Agra by Train||2 hours and 15 minutes|
|Travel Time for Delhi to Agra by Flight||3 hours|
|Best Routes||Delhi to Agra Via Yamuna Expressway|
|Delhi to Agra Via NH 19 and NH 44|
|Best Time to visit||November – March|
Best time to take a road trip from Delhi to Agra
November to March is the best time to visit Delhi to Agra by car as you will be able to escape the unbearable heat of summers.
Some of the best routes by which you can reach Agra from Delhi and at the same time explore some popular places along the way are:
Route 1: Distance and Time taken from Delhi to Agra via Yamuna Expressway
Delhi to Agra Distance Via Yamuna Expressway
This route covers 233 km of distance within 3.5 hours. The road conditions are excellent and it is advised to take this route.
Delhi to Agra Road Condition Via Yamuna Expressway
This is the shortest, fastest, and most recommended route to travel from Delhi to Agra. Most tourists and regular travellers use this route since the Delhi to Agra traffic is also not heavy on this highway. Here’s a basic road map for this route:
|Delhi — Noida — Greater Noida — Agra|
Popular places to visit on this route –
- Buddh International Circuit – Buddh International Circuit makes for an unmissable stopover for car racing enthusiasts.
- Worlds of Wonder, Noida – Worlds of Wonder will make for a perfect stop for some fun and games along the way
- Okla Bird Sanctuary, Noida- Okla Bird Sanctuary is a perfect place to spot different species of birds and explore nature.
- Madame Tussauds, Delhi – Visit India’s very own version of Madame Tussauds in the national capital.
Route 2: Distance and Time taken from Yamuna Expressway, NH 19 and NH 44
Delhi to Agra Distance Via Yamuna Expressway, NH19, NH 44
This route covers a distance of 350 km within 8.5 hours and passes through some of the historic places in the region.
Delhi to Agra Road Condition Via Yamuna Expressway
This is the alternative route to travel from Delhi to Agra. But this is a slightly longer road than the previous one. However, there are more sightseeing options on this route. Here’s a basic Delhi to Agra road map for this route:
|Delhi — Faridabad — Aurangabad — Vrindavan — Mathura — Agra|
Popular places to visit on this route –
- Badkhal Lake, Faridabad – The lake is nestled in the Aravalli Hills, and therefore, should be visited for the scenic beauty it is surrounded with.
- Raja Nahar Singh Palace – About 15 km from South Delhi, Raja Nahar Singh Palace is an enormous palace with huge arches, beautifully embellished rooms and magnificent courtyards.
- Forts of Pawai, Mali and Chandangarh – Belonging to the migrants from Rajasthan during the medieval period, the forts of Pawai are the major attractions for archaeology and photography buffs.
- ISKCON Temple, Vrindavan – One of the most beautiful temples in Vrindavan, Hare Rama Hare Krishna temple is a place to experience peace and tranquility in the midst of a chaotic city.
- Keshi Ghat, Vrindavan – Watch the most beautiful sunset at Keshi Ghat which is situated on the banks of the River Yamuna.
- Kusum Sarovar, Mathura – Visit Kusum Sarovar for the evening aarti. This is quite a famous attraction among photography buffs.
- Kans Qila, Mathura – Named after Lord Krishna’s maternal uncle, Kans Qila is the finest example of the fusion of Hindu and Mughal architecture.
Delhi to Agra Best Route
While you can take any of the two routes, we recommend Route 1 via Yamuna expressway. The road conditions are excellent and the time taken is less. However, it is advisable to check live traffic updates before leaving for your trip.
Other means of traveling to Agra
How to Reach Agra By Train
On a daily basis, 9 trains run between New Delhi and Agra. While, on a weekly basis, the count shoots up to 42. 12172 Haridwar Junction, 19308 Chandigarh Indore Junction Bg Express, 12434 Chennai Rajdhani and Jammu Tawi Hyderabad Decan Special 07022 are some of the Delhi to Agra special train options. You can check the Delhi to Agra train time and price on the official IRCTC booking site.
How to Reach Agra By Flight
There are many Delhi to Agra fligt options. The nearest airport is Kheria Airport (AGR). But, you can also take a flight to Lucknow and further travel to Agra. For a smooth and hassle-free experience, book your Delhi Airport to Agra taxi here. And if you wish to book a pick or drop from Lucknow Airport, you can book your Lucknow Airport cab here.
You can also take a Delhi to Agra bus to travel between the two cities. However a Delhi to Agra cab would allow you have a safe and comfortable journey.
Explore Agra like a local – A handy Travel guide
The beautiful city of Agra will forever be etched in the hearts of millions for its lip-smacking food and warm locals. This is a city that takes you back to the Mughal era with its iconic buildings and heritage monuments. But, there is more to Agra than just the beautiful and majestic Taj! From lovers, historians, poets to the heartbroken; Agra attracts everyone alike. The city is dotted with some of the most significant monuments in the country. That is why it is important to explore Agra like a local to truly experience it. You can always book a tempo traveller in Delhi in case you are travelling in a large group.
Attractions in Agra for sightseeing
Some of the best places to visit in Agra are Agra Fort, Fatehpur Sikri, Akbar’s Tomb, Mariam’s Tomb, Jama Masjid and Chini Ka Rauza. Among these attractions, the Taj Mahal is the main attraction and an important landmark.
Things to keep in mind before visiting the Taj Mahal
- Objects like pen, keys and cameras are strictly prohibited inside the complex of Taj Mahal. Therefore, avoid carrying these.
- The East Gate is the least crowded of the 3 entry gates to Taj Mahal
- Visit the Taj Mahal at the crack of dawn for it helps you to avoid the rush hours
- Taj Mahal is not open to visitors on Fridays and during Ramzan.
- The entry ticket costs INR 50 for Indian citizens, INR 1100 for foreigners and INR 540 for citizens from SAARC/ Bimstec countries
Popular Places to Eat in Agra
- Tandoori Chicken – Mama Chicken Mama Franky at Gopi Chand Shivhare Road, Sadar Bazaar, and Agra Cantt.
- Mughlai Cuisine – Pinch of Spice at 23/453, Mahatma Gandhi Rd, Wazirpura Road
- Petha – Panchhi Petha at Hari Parvat Crossing
- Paranthe – Ram Babu Parantha Bhandar at Civil Lines
- Sweets – Deviram Sweets and Restaurant
Hotels and Resorts – Accommodation in Agra
|Courtyard Agra||Fatehabad Rd, Taj Nagari, Phase Ii, Tajganj, Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282001, India.|
|ITC Mughal||Tajganj, Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282001, India.|
|Hotel Taj Resorts||538, Taj East Gate Rd, Near Shilp Gram, Forest Colony, Tajganj, Agra, Uttar Pradesh 282001, India.|
|Bedweiser Backpackers Hostel||MIG-57 Taj East Gate Road, Near, Shilpgram Parking, Taj Nagari, Phase-I, Dhandhupura, Uttar Pradesh 282001, India.|
Nearby Road Trips from Agra
|Agra to Deeg||93 km||2 hours|
|Agra to Mathura||56 km||1 hour|
|Agra to Vrindavan||69 km||1 hour 30 mins|
|Agra to Gwalior||119 km||2 hours|
|Agra to Alwar||167 km||4 hours|
|Agra to Jaipur||239 km||4 hours|
|Agra to Nainital||351 km||8 hours|
|Agra to Rishikesh||422 km||7 hours|
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.