Table of Contents
- Why Travel fromChennai to Kanyakumari
- Travelling from Chennai to Kanyakumari by Car
- Best time to visit
- Popular Routes from Chennai to Kanyakumari
- How to Reach Kanyakumari By Train
- How to Reach Kanyakumari By Flight
- Attractions in Kanyakumari for Sightseeing
- Savaari Recommends – Popular Places to Eat in Kanyakumari
- Hotels and resorts – Accommodation in Kanyakumari
Fringed by the three seas, Indian, Arabian, and the Bay of Bengal, Kanyakumari is a scenic town in the southernmost tip of the Indian Peninsula which was earlier famous as Cape Comorin. Furthermore, the quaint Kanyakumari town offers the remarkable convergence of the Bay of Bengal, the Indian Ocean, and the Arabian Sea assembling at a point.
However, this is not magic. The miracle lies in that the water of the three seas meeting at one point does not mix, and you can readily differentiate between the deep blue, turquoise blue, and sea green water shades of the three seas. Furthermore, the shrine of Devi Kanya Kumari is where the city gets its name. As one of the most famous tourist spots for travellers, Kanyakumari has been depicted as having impressive establishments and architectural landmarks. Read on to learn more about the detailed Chennai to Kanyakumari itinerary and the most suitable routes to reach Kanyakumari via Chennai.
Why travel from Chennai to Kanyakumari?
Kanyakumari is an amazing coastal town that boasts a fantastic combination of culture, history, scenic magnificence, and modernization. And from majestic temples and forts to museums and beaches, there is something for everyone. Moreover, resting on the border of the southern coast of Tamil Nadu, it is popularly known as The Land’s End. In addition, Kanyakumari tourism grew out of its religious and mythological significance and geographical allure.
Overlooking the Arabian Sea, the Indian Ocean, and the Bay of Bengal, the location presents incredible panoramas of sunset, sunrise, and moonrise on the ocean, among other untouched wonders like scenic beaches and waterfalls. Also, by taking a cab from Chennai to Kanyakumari, you can always improve your trip by glimpsing the sightseeing attractions en route. And With a Savaari, you can turn your drive into a fun-filled journey and customise the trip to your liking, travel time, and budget.
Travelling from Chennai to Kanyakumari by Car
The numerous sightseeing locations in Kanyakumari made it one of the favourite tourist destinations for national and international travellers. Moreover, Jainism, Hinduism, and Christianity impacted Kanyakumari’s establishments and architectural monuments. The temples, churches, forts, beauty of the beaches, palaces, and waterfalls are among the well-known places to witness in Kanyakumari. Hence we can say there are several reasons to travel to Kanyakumari from Chennai.
Vivekananda Memorial is the most renowned among all the breathtaking tourist spots of Kanyakumari. Furthermore, you can also glimpse the spectacular Tsunami monument, which has been set up as a mark of admiration for the individuals who lost their lives. The Chennai to Kanyakumari distance is roughly 701 kms, and it would take around 12 hr 5 min to reach your destination by car. And you know the best part? With our completely customizable Chennai to Kanyakumari trip packages, you can stop at numerous sightseeing locations on the way to make your road trip experience more delightful. Let us help you discover the best routes to travel by car.
Best Time To Visit Kanyakumari from Chennai
The winter months, from October until February, are the most suitable time to visit Kanyakumari, as the climate remains calm and agreeable. Although this coastal area is a bit damp, this is the finest time to try out some thrilling water sports, embark on sightseeing and outing activities, undertake beach sports, and enjoy the breathtaking sunset panoramas. Moreover, with the onset of winter in November, Kanyakumari hosts numerous festivals this month, such as the Cape Festival. Here is a tabular representation of year-round climatic conditions in Kanyakumari.
Popular Routes from Chennai to Kanyakumari
Route 1: Chennai to Kanyakumari via Chennai – Theni Hwy/Chennai – Villupuram – Trichy – Kanyakumari Rd, NH38 and NH 44
The approximate distance between Chennai to Kanyakumari is 706 km, and you can take the Chennai to Kanyakumari best route that runs via Chennai – Theni Hwy/Chennai – Villupuram – Trichy – Kanyakumari Rd, NH38 and NH 44. It is also the fastest because the Chennai to Kanyakumari traffic on this route is normal, and there are no road closures. Moreover, you must always check live maps and instant traffic updates for the latest information on Chennai to Kanyakumari road conditions for a better commute.
Here’s the basic map from Chennai to Kanyakumari for this route.
Popular sightseeing attractions along this route
- Victoria Public Hall: Also known as Town Hall, Victoria Public Hall is a well-known sightseeing destination between the Chennai to Kanyakumari route. Named after the famous empress of India, it is one of the most splendid examples of British architecture in Chennai and was constructed to commemorate the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria.
- Fort St. George Museum: If you are a history buff, you must visit this famous Fort St. George Museum located a few kms from Chennai. A prominent landmark, Fort St. George, is a sightseeing location where you can marvel at the displays of British Raj artefacts and gain some understanding of the luxury living standard of British monarchs.
- Thennangur Panduranga Temple: Situated in Thennangur village near Kanchipuram, Thennangur Panduranga Temple is a prominent scenic attraction en route. Devoted to Panduranga and his wife Rukmayee, it draws tourists from far and near for its religious significance and impressive architecture.
Places to eat along this route
- Central Restaurant: A famous eating joint near Chennai serving delicious South Indian delicacies and filter coffee.
- Yasmine Biryani Kudil Family restaurant: A cosy Bamboo cafe with a delightful ambiance and various non-veg cuisines.
- Murugan Idli Shop: A family-friendly eating joint serving lip-smacking Idli and other South Indian delicacies.
Route 2: Chennai to Kanyakumari via NH 44
The approximate distance between Chennai to Kanyakumari on this route is 801 km, and it would take roughly 13 hr 32 min to reach your destination. The route that runs via Chennai – Theni Hwy/Chennai – Villupuram – Trichy – Kanyakumari Rd, NH38 and NH 44 is a detour but offers a scenic route to Chennai and Kanyakumari.
Here’s the basic map from Chennai to Kanyakumari for this route.
Popular sightseeing attractions along Route 2
- Chetpet Ecopark: If you wish to spend some peaceful time amidst lush nature, don’t forget to make a stop at the famous Chetpet Ecopark. A perfect scenic location, this Ecopark is best for spending some blissful time amidst nature and boating in the surrounding serene lake.
- Chennai Lighthouse: Situated at some distance from the main Chennai city is the famous Chennai Lighthouse. Snuggled on the east coast of the Indian Subcontinent, Chennai Lighthouse, also known as Marina Lighthouse, presents an enjoyable experience to people who are here to spend some time away from the city’s hustle and bustle. Here you can unwind in a laid-back environment, marvel at a nice sea view, or choose to gaze at the sunrise or sunset in solace.
- Kanchi Kudhil: Highly charmed by the Hindu culture, Kanchi Kudhil, located between Kanchipuram and Salem, is the perfect epitome of ancient civilisation and the cultural heritage of Hinduism, making this place a sight to behold.
Places to eat along this route
- Foodon Chettinad Family Restaurant: A quick eating spot near Chennai, this restaurant serves the most authentic South Indian dishes.
- Sri Hotel Andhra Bhavan: This is another well-known eating spot you can stop at en route to grab a quick meal or enjoy delicious piping hot filter coffee.
Other means of travelling from Chennai to Kanyakumari
The closest airport to Kanyakumari is Trivandrum International airport, which is 67 km from Kanyakumari. Upon reaching here, you can hire an airport taxi to reach your destination. Besides, the average ticket price to book a flight from Chennai to Kanyakumari is 5,000 to 17,000. However, to know the exact ticket price it is better to check online travel booking websites. You can hire a reliable airport taxi in Kaziranga for a convenient ride to your hotel in the city.
Kanyakumari has its railway station, which remains well-linked to most of the prominent cities of India. The second nearest railway station to the city is the Trivandrum railway station, and from here, you can take a cab or public transport to reach your destination. Also, while the HWH CAPE SPL is the fastest running train between Chennai to Kanyakumari, you can always check the IRCTC website and follow their latest timetable.
For the latest and the most accurate information on A to B train timings, always check the timetables of IRCTC before you book.
Popular sightseeing attractions in Kanyakumari
If you wish to plan a road trip from Chennai to this beautiful coastal city, here is a list of popular tourist spots you can visit in Kanyakumari.
- Vivekananda Rock Memorial
Situated on a quaint island, this Vivekananda Rock Memorial is one of the prominent sightseeing attractions in Kanyakumari. Famously known as the spot where Swami Vivekananda attained enlightenment, this notable rock memorial got built to celebrate Swami Vivekananda in the 19th century.
Here you can glimpse a sculpture of Vivekananda in one of the inner chambers and separated Dhyan Mandap (meditation auditorium), where you can sit quietly to meditate for some time.
- Kanyakumari Beach
Kanyakumari Beach is a rocky beachfront that offers a spellbinding panorama of the tranquil blue waters surging against the rocks. The yellow sand drenched in numerous hues of the rising sun, the dazzling sunset scenery, the picturesque grandeur of the rock monument, and the towering statue make your beach visit an unforgettable experience.
- Thirparappu Waterfall
Thirparappu waterfall, which drops from a height of 50 feet, is another spectacular tourist attraction in Kanyakumari. Apart from soaking in the grandeur of this waterfall, you can take a refreshing plunge in the pool, click stunning pictures for your Instagram and enjoy a boat ride in the vicinity.
- Thiruvalluvar Statue
If you are a history enthusiast and an architecture lover, this massive Thiruvalluvar statue adjoining Vivekananda Rock Memorial is a must-visit. Devoted to a celebrated Tamil poet and philosopher, Thiruvalluvar, this giant statue stands towering on a 38-foot-tall pedestal.
Also, while the pedestal represents the 38 chapters of virtue in his book Thirukkural, the figure’s altitude symbolizes the 133 chapters of the same text. The site holds enormous architectural and historical significance and is a top sightseeing spot in Kanyakumari.
- Gandhi Mandapam
Devoted to Mahatma Gandhi, this extensive memorial in Kanyakumari is where people witnessed one of the 12 jars of Gandhiji’s ashes to pay tribute. Later, the ashes were immersed in Kanyakumari’s Triveni Sangam. The Mandapam displays many pictures of Mahatma Gandhi with prominent individuals. It also accommodates a library with an extensive array of pre-independence textbooks, journals, and other literature.
Popular places to eat in Kanyakumari
In Kanyakumari, most cuisine is prepared with an essential garnish of coconut and generous use of spices. Therefore, you can sense these two tastes distinctly in almost all the meals here. Besides these, in Kanyakumari, don’t forget to enjoy the delicacies of typical South-Indian platters and freshly caught fish in one of their original and delectable forms.
Typical South-Indian meals you must try here comprise Dosa, Idli, Chutney, Vada, Rasam, Sambhar, Upma, Payasam, Sweet Pongal, Kesari, and more. Moreover, you can also find Gujarati, North Indian, Chinese, and Rajasthani cuisines in Kanyakumari. Below are some famous eating joints you must visit in Kanyakumari.
- Hotel Sea View: Famous for Chinese, Continental, Indian, and Seafood delicacies
- Sangam Restaurant: Famous for Continental, Chettinad, North Indian, South Indian
- Archana Restaurant: Famous for Tamil and Continental food
Hotels and Resorts in Kanyakumari
|Hotel Jebasakthy||17/58C-9, Cape Rd, Vivekanandapuram, Kanyakumari| Phone No. 099623 60846|
|AR Residency||2/69, Middle St, Kanyakumari| Phone No. 098405 89955|
|Hotel Ocean Heritage||2, 11B, E Car St, opp. Hotel MAadhini, Kanyakumari| Phone No. 094861 63959|
|Hotel TamilNadu, Kanniyakumari||Light House, Cape Rd, near Sea shore, Kanyakumari| Phone No. 8212732895|
|Hotel Palmyra Grand Suite||No. 996/1-B, Vasantha Nagar, Near New Bus Station, Tirunelveli| Phone No. 0462 255 5900|
Nearby road trips from Kanyakumari
|Kanyakumari to Pondicherry||584.8 Kms||7 hrs 50 mins|
|Kanyakumari to Munnar||363.8 Kms||6 hrs 47 mins|
|Kanyakumari to Rameshwaram||297.8 Kms||5 hrs 26 mins|
Despite being a small city, Kanyakumari owns numerous sightseeing attractions that make your trip unforgettable. So the next time you plan a quick road trip from Chennai, this is the place to be.
Download our Savaari car Booking app for a smooth and pleasant journey.