The government of India announced the resumption of domestic air travel from May 25 onwards after two months of complete lockdown. All major cities in India are preparing to resume their operations keeping in mind the new standard operating protocols. However, resuming domestic air travel has not been without hiccups – read our comprehensive report on “India Travel Report – Mobility after the COVID Pandemic“. Passengers are facing difficulty in booking airport cabs for pick-up and drop along with the ambiguity with regards to what the new guidelines at the airport will be.
We at Savaari have tried to answer some of the FAQs with the best of our knowledge.
Useful Information for Air Travel
1. Are the airport cabs operational? Will I be able to book one to the airport?
2. Do I need a travel pass to book airport cabs?
3. What do I need before boarding my flight?
4. How will I be screened at the airport? How will the airport authorities ensure everyone’s safety?
5. Will the FnB stores remain open inside the airport?
6. Other dos and don’ts while travelling
7. What are the quarantine protocols for domestic flyers?
8. How can I book a cab once I land at the airport?
9. Will I be able to book a cab from the airport if I have travelled from the worst affected states?
10. What are the rules I need to follow before entering my airport cab?
Are the airport cabs operational? Will I be able to book one to the airport?
- Yes, only private vehicles and authorized airport cabs will be allowed inside the airport.
- People in containment zones will not be permitted to travel.
- Excluding the driver only two passengers are allowed in a four-seater as per the government guidelines. In certain cases, up to three passengers are allowed in a six seater. However this depends on the concerned local authorities.
Do I need a travel pass to book airport cabs?
- No, as per the general guidelines, you do not need a travel pass to book a cab to the airport. However, some states such as Karnataka have mandated a travel pass for entering their borders. Do check the respective state issued guidelines for the city you are traveling to.
- Know state-wise guidelines and procedures for procuring a travel pass online here.
What do I need before boarding my flight?
According to the new protocols, there are a few things passengers need to be mindful about before boarding the flight –
- Only web check-in is allowed to ensure minimal human contact.
- At the time of web check-in, passengers are supposed to take a print-out of the baggage tag and paste it on their baggage. In case, they do not have access to a printer, they can simply write the ticket PNR along with their name on a piece of paper and paste it on the bag.
- Facemasks and sanitizers are mandatory.
- Only dry food items are allowed inside the aircraft. However, eating inside the plane is not advisable.
How will I be screened at the airport? How will the airport authorities ensure everyone’s safety?
- Passengers have to reach the airport at least two hours in advance. Hence, book your cabs accordingly.
- The government has made thermal screening mandatory for all passengers.
- Passengers must download the Arogya Setu app which will inform the authorities if you are coming from a highly infected zone.
- Passengers also have to sign an undertaking declaring they are not coming from a containment zone, and that they have no symptoms of COVID. If there are multiple passengers under one PNR, one declaration is enough.
- Airlines are also providing a safety kit to all passengers flying with them. These kits are placed on each seat inside the aircraft and contain a face mask, face shield and sanitizer.
Will the FnB stores remain open inside the airport?
- Yes, the airport refreshment kiosks will remain open for passengers.
- Please use cashless payment methods such as Paytm, Google Pay, Paypal or PhonePe to pay for the refreshments.
Other dos and don’ts while travelling
- The process of boarding and deboarding the aircraft will happen sequentially. Hence passengers are advised to not crowd the boarding gate as well as the aircraft gates.
- Passengers carrying a disposable mask may be asked to remove it before boarding the plane because a fresh set of masks and shields will be given at the airport.
- Discard face masks only in designated yellow bins that will be available at all airports.
- It is not advisable to eat inside the aircraft unless there is a medical condition.
What are the quarantine protocols for domestic flyers?
How can I book a cab once I land at the airport?
- There is a separate section for cab aggregators to arrive and pick up passengers.
- Airport cabs will be permitted to pick up passengers from that section of the airport only.
- There are a few exceptions though – Bangalore Airport, for example has disallowed private cab aggregators like Ola, Uber and Savaari from picking up passengers from the airport. The passengers arriving at the Bangalore airport must embark only on government authorized vehicles (tempo travellers and buses) so that they conform to the quarantine norms and SOPs.
- In other airports where it is permissible for cab aggregators to service airport pickups, Savaari is up and running. To book airport cabs with us, you can visit www.savaari.com or use our airport car rental app and confirm your booking. Once you do so and have any trip-related queries, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can book a trip with us 24 hours in advance.
- Please note only 2 passengers will be allowed in a four-seater cab and up to 3 passengers in a six-seater.
Will I be able to book a cab from the airport if I have travelled from the worst affected states?
- No. Passengers traveling from worst-affected states such as Maharashtra, Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Delhi and Madhya Pradesh will be treated a little differently at different airports.
- States such as Punjab and Meghalaya are following a mandatory swab test for arrivals.
- As with the previous announcements, the centre has provided states with flexibility in formulating their own respective guidelines. Refer to the section on “Quarantine protocols for domestic travellers” for more details.
What happens if I come from a containment zone?
- If you happen to be from a containment zone in your state, you will not be permitted to fly.
- Please check government guidelines before booking your flight tickets.
What are the rules I need to follow before entering airport cabs?
- Passengers taking a trip with us are to load their own luggage in the boot of the cab.
- They are also expected to practice social distancing and wear a face mask at all times during the trip. In case you are out of sanitizer, our sanitizer equipped cabs will be there to ensure your as well as our driver’s safety.
- Use sanitizer before and after your trip, and also sanitize the door handles to stop the spread of COVID-19 to the other passengers.
- Savaari has taken its own set of strict precautions that ensure the safety of passengers and drivers alike. You can rest assured that your trip to or from the airport will be secure and reliable.